Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '05 103" checking runout before buying cams?  (Read 1701 times)

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
'05 103" checking runout before buying cams?
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »

I had originally planned to buy the Redshift 575 chain cams when I upgraded to the new plate and oil pump this winter.  I just wasn't going to sweat about whether the runout was good for going with gears or not.  I know the gears run easier/slightly noisier, but it just seemed less hassle.  And I could pre order the cams from Zippers and everything would be ready to go for the dealer to do the install without interuption.

Am I not thinking right about this?  Should I let the dealer check the runout, and if it is well within spec and not on the fringe, is going with the gears always the first option to take if it is available?  Should I not worry that after 5 years and the crank is still running true, under a similar riding style, it will continue to stay that way?  I know that the gears will get far noisier as runout worsens......the runout shouldn't just drift on it's own??

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: '05 103" checking runout before buying cams?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »

I would check the runout.  My 05 required new flywheels.   Piece of mind is worth it.  Gears to me are preferred if you have flywheels within spec.  No more worry about tensioners failing old or new.  A little more noise, but it doesnt bother me.   Our 04 pumpkin has the yuill yb13's in gear drive and never been an issue.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »

I would check the runout.  My 05 required new flywheels.   Piece of mind is worth it.  Gears to me are preferred if you have flywheels within spec.  No more worry about tensioners failing old or new.  A little more noise, but it doesnt bother me.   Our 04 pumpkin has the yuill yb13's in gear drive and never been an issue.
Unbalanced - Can't remember, but i think i read one of your threads awhile back discussing a Jims motor you had. Was/is this one of your motors? if so im curious  how this motor help up  :nixweiss: did you have any issues with the crank or anything else.... If im wrong please disregard  :-\  - thanks..

Nucleartec

• Junior CVO Member
  • Life is good!!
    • SC

• CVO1: 2005 Cherry SEEG
    • CVO2: 1997 Road King(non CVO)
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDX
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »

Checked the runout in my 05 Cherry.  .0025. went with redshift 575. Love the cam. Keeps pulling until you let off or run out of nuts. Alittle bit more noise but that is what music is for. 99hp/108tq. Checked runout before ordering cam for Zippers, took 2 days to arrive.  Tony
2005 SEEG-Cherry
Dave makie 598 gear drive
HPI 55mm throttle body
Thundermax tuner
WO 578 bars
Rhineharts true duals
Hawgwired

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »

Unbalanced - Can't remember, but i think i read one of your threads awhile back discussing a Jims motor you had. Was/is this one of your motors? if so im curious  how this motor help up  :nixweiss: did you have any issues with the crank or anything else.... If im wrong please disregard  :-\  - thanks..

The Jims motor made plenty of power, I had a cam plate and crank failure though so the motor had to be completely refurbished by Jim's and it sits in my garage in a box atm with new cases.    Doc Tuned it stock it made 143 tq and 135 hp with no headwork.    58mm, rinehart true duals, and open air breather vented to the ground.

It would be a toss up as the Jim's needs no headwork to preform at this level and the S&S needs the headwork to perform at the same level,
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:13:56 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

Would agree with any recommendation to do a basic check of run out.  Just because.  If it's down that far there is no reason not to do such a basic CYA bit of checking.

If run out is good, as it likely will be on an 05, gears should be a strong consideration.  They'll perfect the timing variation that otherwise is in the system.  It's a small but real difference.  You also eliminate future maintenance that is part and parcel of the sacrificial tensioners.  Harry's severely out-of-spec-preparing-to-explode 05 is certainly a reminder that run out should be checked.  But the severity of his measure is also an aberration that shouldn't greatly worry.

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:08:11 AM »

I had originally planned to buy the Redshift 575 chain cams when I upgraded to the new plate and oil pump this winter.  I just wasn't going to sweat about whether the runout was good for going with gears or not.  I know the gears run easier/slightly noisier, but it just seemed less hassle.  And I could pre order the cams from Zippers and everything would be ready to go for the dealer to do the install without interuption.

Am I not thinking right about this?  Should I let the dealer check the runout, and if it is well within spec and not on the fringe, is going with the gears always the first option to take if it is available?  Should I not worry that after 5 years and the crank is still running true, under a similar riding style, it will continue to stay that way?  I know that the gears will get far noisier as runout worsens......the runout shouldn't just drift on it's own??

check run out just to see. it needs to be less than .003 or you need the undersized gears. I would just do the conversion,better oil pump,and if you were to slip past the .003 mark you wouldnt trash a set of gears. anymore it is just safer to go with the conversion,unless you plug and weld the crank.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.