Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dismantling Tips  (Read 1602 times)

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Dismantling Tips
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »

Hey guys,

Getting ready to take this thing apart and looking for some tips on anything that might not be self evident.

I am very mechanically inclined and have worked on bikes, snowmobiles cars etc.... including building my own race motors (2 strokes sled motors) but I have never taken a Harley motor down. So I am looking for tips, special tools that might help me this first time.

Also looking for a tuner in the central North Carolina area.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks, Rick.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Dismantling Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »

Mr. Warlock, If you have a long workbench or a table you can set up, place everything in the order that you took it off from start to finish. Then if you have to swap out any parts do it on the bench or table and just reassemble in reverse. I did this a long time ago when I rebuilt a  4 barrel carb on a 64 Chevy SS when I was a kid. Granted I did not need much space, but it was my first 4 barrel and there was about 70 steps in the carb kit.( the carb worked perfect and it saved my Dad about $100.00 and we got to hear it idle just right while having a beer, good memory ) Believe me a little organization at the start will save you a lot of frustration later, especially if you can't finish the project at one time. Good Luck CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »

when i remove items if possible i thread the hardware back in, also take lots of pics  that i can go back and reference.

have a shop manual and read each procedure before you try do it.

when in doubt ask here
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

Hey guys,

Getting ready to take this thing apart and looking for some tips on anything that might not be self evident.

I am very mechanically inclined and have worked on bikes, snowmobiles cars etc.... including building my own race motors (2 strokes sled motors) but I have never taken a Harley motor down. So I am looking for tips, special tools that might help me this first time.

Also looking for a tuner in the central North Carolina area.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks, Rick.

You don't mention what it is you're disassembling. An Electra-Glide or Road-Glide for instance requires a special tool to remove the ignition/fork lock assembly whereas a Road King, Dyna, or Softail does not. Also, how far down are you taking the bike in question ? All the way to the frame for a complete rebuild or just a particular piece or section. H-D makes a variety of specialty tools. Not all of them are mission critical as with the one I mentioned you need for the ignition/fork lock. Some tools you need are general purpose just not stuff the average guy has in his garage like a 1/2" impact wrench with a large volumn compressor and a set of impact sockets that run to nearly 2" for the inner primary pieces.
Bottom line is Harley-Davidson motorcycles are somewhat archaic in their design and assembly. The electronics have become sophisticated but the mechanicals are still not much different than they were many many years ago. With reasonable skills and an extensive tool box you should be able to accomplish what it is you want to do. FYI, H-D specialty tools are generally listed in the beginning of the shop manuals sold for each model. All available H-D specialty tools are listed in every manual so if you've got deep pockets, don't run out and buy all of them as you won't need all.

B B

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »

As Naitram pointed out, take a bunch of pictures before dismantling.. we have a second bike a few years apart, (my wife's) cant tell you the countless times having it around has saved my arse.  

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »

Look up Hemrick's located in Kernersville, NC. I trailor 7 hrs (from PA) for his experience with my build.

http://hemrickperformance.com/default.aspx
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:03:40 AM »

Sorry, just the motor for a build. Heads, cams, and associated. I haven't decided on the crank yet but I will probably do that also. 2011 FLSTSE2.

Thanks!!
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »

How far are you from Atlanta? I know a great tuner there.

vmax-94

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »

Short Block Charlie has a nice DVD for working on HD Twin Cams, best $50 i have spent.

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »

How far are you from Atlanta? I know a great tuner there.

Who's the tuner in ATL ?
Hair of the Dog

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »

Just an idea that popped into my sometimes foggy brain

What if you went to the nearest dragstrip and spoke with the folks racin H-D's as to who does their dyno work ?

B B

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »

Good luck mate I hope you enjoy the process. I am NOT a gear head! I confess I am a Dentist. I can take out your wisdom teeth, do a root canal and cut from gum to gum but I ain't much on complex mechanics. :huepfenlol2:
My experience so far with adding chrome, rotors and add on bling has shown me that these little jobs are not always as simple as they should be.

While putting on a chrome front fender guard I had tremendous difficulty getting the one little nut on the stud on the front of the fender. After thirty minutes of laying on my back trying to get in there with my hands and dropping the nut over and over I gave up. I felt like a moron driving the bike to the dealer to have him put on one nut. Ends up they had to remove the front wheel and re-thread the stud due to paint and primer excess. Made me feel some better but I still had to pay a half hour shop time. One nut=$30.

I may enjoy learning someday.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.