Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! I need to do something with my clutch  (Read 2103 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Help! I need to do something with my clutch
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »

I'm having no luck at all. Had surgery on my left hand Dec.10. My new CVO SG wasn't supposed to be here until Feb.. It arrived Dec. 15, two months early. In a cast for 5 weeks and was told I'd need rehab for 4/5 weeks after the cast came off. Of course I'm the optimist, thinking I'll be ready to ride in 3 weeks tops. Well the cast came off a week ago and I went for my first rehab treatment yesterday. I was enlightened by the physical therapist. In 4/5 weeks I'll be able to tie my shoes, turn a door knob, zip my pants up, open all my pill bottles, etc.. Ride a motorcycle? Months! And I don't know how many of those I'll have to wait. I'm seriously down.
Anyway, I'm thinking if I had the easy pull clutch I can shorten the time some as it would require less strength to pull. My 08 had the easy clutch and I think it only requires half the effort of the CVO hydraulic one. I know that there is no way to install the easy clutch on a hydraulic system but I think I could install one of the older diaphragm clutch springs and it would help ease the pull somewhat. Does anyone know if this is the case? I'm not a hot rodder so I don't think having the lighter spring would hurt. And when I'm cured, so to speak, I can reinstall the CVO spring. Next time I ever have surgery I'm going to ask a lot more questions. Opinions?
 Gary

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
Re: Help! I need to do something with my clutch
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:25:29 AM »

While I don't have an answer for your primary question, I did want to say heal well and fast my friend.  Amazing what the body can do when your mind is set. ;D
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »

Heal up soon!  I had a broken throttle / brake hand a couple years ago...i feel for ya!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »

I'm having no luck at all. Had surgery on my left hand Dec.10. My new CVO SG wasn't supposed to be here until Feb.. It arrived Dec. 15, two months early. In a cast for 5 weeks and was told I'd need rehab for 4/5 weeks after the cast came off. Of course I'm the optimist, thinking I'll be ready to ride in 3 weeks tops. Well the cast came off a week ago and I went for my first rehab treatment yesterday. I was enlightened by the physical therapist. In 4/5 weeks I'll be able to tie my shoes, turn a door knob, zip my pants up, open all my pill bottles, etc.. Ride a motorcycle? Months! And I don't know how many of those I'll have to wait. I'm seriously down.
Anyway, I'm thinking if I had the easy pull clutch I can shorten the time some as it would require less strength to pull. My 08 had the easy clutch and I think it only requires half the effort of the CVO hydraulic one. I know that there is no way to install the easy clutch on a hydraulic system but I think I could install one of the older diaphragm clutch springs and it would help ease the pull somewhat. Does anyone know if this is the case? I'm not a hot rodder so I don't think having the lighter spring would hurt. And when I'm cured, so to speak, I can reinstall the CVO spring. Next time I ever have surgery I'm going to ask a lot more questions. Opinions?
 Gary

http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=3

An AIM variable pressure clutch can reduce clutch lever effort by up to 40% while increasing clutch pressure clamp force.  Best of both worlds...  I've used one for several years, as have many other site members.  It works!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

jcd520

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »

Whatever you end up doing be careful . The last thing you want to do is get in some kind  of wreck with your hand injured and further hurt yourself or someone else. Heal well and be safe. Better to ride 100% a few months from now than maybe never again!

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »

Grandeur Auto Clutch

Can you imagine riding up to a stoplight with your bike in gear and not having to hold the clutch in, Now you can.

When the light turns green, twist the throttle and ride away.

Ready to up shift ? Pull the clutch and shift as usual.. except the clutch lever can be pulled with one finger.

Down shift the same as shifting.

NO MORE TIRED HANDS
You won't neutral - pull in the clutch and then shift to neutral, you won't believe how easy it is fo find.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
By replacing your clutch pressure plate with a new unit which works by applying centrifugal pressure to your clutch pack engine speeds does the work that is normally done by springs... And does it a lot better.
Now when you pull the clutch, you are releasing only the pressure plate and not the clutch pack.
The super Auto does all the hard work ... You don't have to.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:44:53 PM »

An AIM variable pressure clutch can reduce clutch lever effort by up to 40% while increasing clutch pressure clamp force.  Best of both worlds...  I've used one for several years, as have many other site members.  It works!   :2vrolijk_21:
[/quote]

Thanks Sadunbar. This sounds very interesting. I'll be calling them first thing in the morning.
 Gary

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »

Grandeur Auto Clutch

That was a new one to me.  That mother is EXpensive.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »

That was a new one to me.  That mother is EXpensive.

I remember somewhere, maybe here, a You Tube video of someone using this auto clutch and it looked cool.  He used the clutch to put the bike in gear, but then he let out the clutch and he just sat there with his feed down.

The only question I would have is how does it disengage during shifts?  My old '65 Cushman had a centrifugal clutch that you used to put it in gear and then for shifting from low to high range.

But if it's a matter of riding or not riding, cost sometimes is not an issue.  You do what you have to do, I would...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »

But if it's a matter of riding or not riding, cost sometimes is not an issue.  You do what you have to do, I would...

True.  Back when Uncle Nubby was born there was a short period where I wondered how long it would be before he could ride and if I might need to do something with a clutch on one of the bikes to help things along.  Fortunately the other dinged up digits healed quickly (and the stitches were on the top instead of the bottom with them) and Nubby himself just stood up out of the way.  So it wasn't a big deal.  But I'd have bought something if I had to.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »

Thanks Sadunbar. This sounds very interesting. I'll be calling them first thing in the morning.
 Gary
1st and foremost Heal smartly.  Like give it time and listen to those people who do this for a living. 2nd just act like ur in OHIO and aint riding just like us and many other states.

BUCKNUT  :bananarock:

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »

It all depends on you percentage of ability or disability however you look at it. I have a version of the AIM pressure plate but it's made by Rivera Primo, it works good and I don't have a hydraulic accuator like the SG does, so I think the pull would be even easier on the SESG.  :)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »

Right Bucknut. I have a good friend who is a veterinarian. He's had every operation you could thing of (Slight exaggeration). He is a very intelligent guy and he knows I'm chomping at the bit. He reminded me of the consequences of trying to move to fast. Seeing my physical therapist in the morning and I plan on having a fairly long discussion. I mean, I don't just have my new CVO SG sitting in the garage, I also have a CVO Fat Bob that was souped up over the winter. So not being able to ride is doubly disappointing to me.
 Gary

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

Put in a spring for a 2005 95 ci dresser.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.