Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vintage Harleys - Help  (Read 703 times)

tfmazur

Vintage Harleys - Help
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »

I live in the Chicago area and have a 1984 Ironhead. It's in decent shape but the forks need work, the engine leaks oil horribly, and I'd like it repainted. My question is whether or not it's worth spending money on this bike. Is anyone familiar with a mechanic in the Chicago area?? THANK YOU

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Vintage Harleys - Help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »

Firts, yes I think the bike is worth spending money on, second sorry don't know anyone in your area to work on it.  Third you could sell it to me really cheap and I can fix it LOL
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

You have been introduced to the site (see quote below )
Firts, yes I think the bike is worth spending money on, second sorry don't know anyone in your area to work on it.  Third you could sell it to me really cheap and I can fix it LOL
Somebody is always here to HELP :2vrolijk_21:[/color][/i]

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »

I live in the Chicago area and have a 1984 Ironhead. It's in decent shape but the forks need work, the engine leaks oil horribly, and I'd like it repainted. My question is whether or not it's worth spending money on this bike. Is anyone familiar with a mechanic in the Chicago area?? THANK YOU
If it's not your 'daily driver'...how about doing most of the work yourself...I'd like the oppourtunity to 'fix' a bike without worrying about it not being ready for a ride....just a thought...ouch!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »

its worth fixing, but its old enough that finding a "competent" mechanic to do the work is the hard part - anybody who uses the word "cheap" in the conversation - RUN AWAY - there is nothing cheap about what a 84 thats leaking needs. very few dealers have mechs that can do any good on those - find the right mech first then work the $$

a wild wag is that if it needs fork work, it needs rear swing arm bushings as well - i had a 79 sportster and it had brass bushings that came undersize and you "ream them to fit" figure about 1.3 to 1/2 the price of a new sportster by the time you get the tools, pull the trans, split the cases, send the crank out, do pistons & cylinders and heads. then change all the itzy bearings in the trans, do the fork bushings and bearings, rear bushings, wheel bearings. engine assy has spacers such that you have to install the crank, check play, remove adjust & reinstall - same with the end play washers in the trans - very helpful to have a surface grinder with a magnetic vice. the heads have only a certain number of oversizes avail for guides, if its been "done" before there is a chance the heads are already oversize to the max.

then it will be good for 30k miles & they are fine for 65 - 70 mph all day, but buzzz over 60. rode mine a hundred k, two rebuilds in that time frame. sold if for 3/4 what i paid for it ready for rebuild number 3.

later

to

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.