Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary and Timing cover script paint color for FLHTCUSE  (Read 1285 times)

jcain

• NY

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Primary and Timing cover script paint color for FLHTCUSE
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »

I've done a bit of searching and wasn't really sure where to put this so here goes.

My 2006 has the primary and timing cover that's supposed to have have "red" paint that fills the script of Screaming Eagle on the primary and 103 on the timing cover. When I got the bike last year I noticed most if not all of this paint is gone. The question is, is it easier or even possible to just get OE painted replacement parts from the dealer or to try and re-paint this myself. I have a pretty steady hand and wouldn't mind trying.

Thoughts?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Primary and Timing cover script paint color for FLHTCUSE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

I would repaint for sure. Some high quality paint and a small artist brush......piece of cake. If you are worried, a QTip & some vaseline around the edges and you can't miss. Its a little hard to handle if you do the vaseline trick. Patience, grasshopper :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

jcain

• NY

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

That's kind of what I thought 2ksoftail.

The other issue I face is what color is that? It's red but it seems pretty bright with almost an orange hue to it. Do I simply get as close as I can? I don't want to get into analysis paralysis but do want it to look good.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »

Agree with 2K, paint it unless you have a lot of disposable cash. You can still buy from Surdyke the Red Script Derby Cover part number 60828-07 for $125.05. I got the Blue Script couple years ago for my 09'. It does look to be a pretty bright red.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

jcain

• NY

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »

1sharprdkg...

There's a little paint there so I'll get as close as I can in color. If I really flub up the paint I found the part numbers in my 2006 parts manual and can always shoot to get the originals but for $200+/- for both I'll take my chances painting them first...

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »

Pull one off and go to a good hobby store. They got tons of different colors in small bottles that would be more than enough for your nneds. Good luck.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.