Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring harness for adding an amp to stock radio  (Read 3048 times)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Wiring harness for adding an amp to stock radio
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »

Ive decided to add an amp to my stock Harley radio. Not sure which brand of amp but Im pretty sure ill need some type of harness to connect the the amp. I see both Hawg Wired and ARC offer a harness but dont support using them with products other than their own. Is there another brand of harnness available or have people been using the HW or ARC with no problems.

mlb3164

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: Wanna be CVO 2010 FLHX 120R
Re: Wiring harness for adding an amp to stock radio
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »

I have the Hawg Wired DCS1202 in two bikes and couldn't be happier. The harness is a true plug and play with the only issue is tucking all the wires back tight enough to get the fairing back on. They really help the sound tremendously especially if you upgrade the speakers too. One thing I did notice was the sound of my headset was much better after adding the amp to the FLHTCUSE4. I think the headset wiring is pulled off the speaker outputs. Just my 2 cents worth.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

I have the Hawg Wired DCS1202 in two bikes and couldn't be happier. The harness is a true plug and play with the only issue is tucking all the wires back tight enough to get the fairing back on. They really help the sound tremendously especially if you upgrade the speakers too. One thing I did notice was the sound of my headset was much better after adding the amp to the FLHTCUSE4. I think the headset wiring is pulled off the speaker outputs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Do you know if the Hawg Wired harness would work with an amp from a different manufacture?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »

It would be very helpful if you say what bike you're installing the amp on since the wiring is not the same model to model in many CVO's.  To avoid doing this on every thread you start, just add it to your signature or avatar.

As for the harness question, ARC offers a wiring kit for their Arc 125.2:

http://www.arcaudio.com/Motorcycle.asp

The ARC kit is $45.  IMO, it's not worth the $$$ since it includes speaker wiring, butt splice connectors for the speaker wiring, wiring for the on/off switch on the amp, and wiring for the amp to battery positive and ground.   Of the many pieces included in that kit, the only items I used were the cables for the power and ground to the battery, though I used the ground stud in front of the battery for the ground connector, and the on/off amp wiring. 

Good luck with your research.

Carl

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.