Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Auto tuner suggestions?  (Read 2406 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Auto tuner suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »

If I thought there was ONE best tuner I would tell you. It is not as simple as that.

Speaking only from the bleachers here.  But, amen.  Tuning, avocationally with one's own bike or professionally over and over is as much art as science.  When John Golden was still active locally I used the Power Commander.  Not because it offered the most tuning options or could control the greatest number of engine management parameters.  In fact it couldn't.  But John was an artist.  Both an excellent and a diligent tuner that did a wonderful job; over and over again.  That's why it has been repeated whenever someone asks "uh, what should I use?" that the answer should be the choice of whatever good tuner the bike owner is going to have do the work.  

Lacking a gifted and/or even diligent local tuner any longer I was pleased to see the EMS kit become available.  Readily admit that a brilliant tune would almost certainly do a bit more.  I might or might not notice the difference.  But this device gets it as good (or likely much better) than I ever would chasing cells with a computer in the saddlebag working from someone's base map that was never base to my bike to begin with.  It's not that I'm incompetent.  I'd get it good.  But I readily admit never get it great.  EMS has, on my bike anyway, got it pretty close to great.

A gifted tuner with a few hours time would, I'm confident, find improvements to be made; subtle but not gross.  Improvements that might or might not be worth the expense of time and hard dyno time on the bike (not to me, your sentiments may vary; whomever you are).  Lacking a truly talented local tuner who would also be a tune and forget it option (because you just know he's going to have it right) I'm very pleased the EMS package is out there.  It does a great job (at least on those I've worked with) and I don't have to spend hours dialing it close (because I can never truly know if I've got it dailed "in" anyway).

If I had an absolute known to be iron clad artist of a tuner as an option again this would still be an open question.  Most of us don't though.  Most of use "ok" or "decent" spinning the wheels on their local dynos.  Most of us don't have GMR close at hand.  Lacking those options a bolt on and forget it option that is very very good is hard to turn down when the alternative is going far and wide chasing an ephemeral difference we may never feel in the seat of our pants anyway.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:03:47 PM by Twolanerider »

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »

Speaking only from the bleachers here.  But, amen.  Tuning, avocationally with one's own bike or professionally over and over is as much art as science.  When John Golden was still active locally I used the Power Commander.  Not because it offered the most tuning options or could control the greatest number of engine management parameters.  In fact it couldn't.  But John was an artist.  Both an excellent and a diligent tuner that did a wonderful job; over and over again.  That's why it has been repeated whenever someone asks "uh, what should I use?" that the answer should be the choice of whatever good tuner the bike owner is going to have do the work. 

Lacking a gifted and/or even diligent local tuner any longer I was pleased to see the EMS kit become available.  Readily admit that a brilliant tune would almost certainly do a bit more.  I might or might not notice the difference.  But this device gets it as good (or likely much better) than I ever would chasing cells with a computer in the saddlebag working from someone's base map that was never base to my bike to begin with.  It's not that I'm incompetent.  I'd get it good.  But I readily admit never get it great.  EMS has, on my bike anyway, got it pretty close to great.

A gifted tuner with a few hours time would, I'm confident, find improvements to be made; subtle but not gross.  Improvements that might or might not be worth the expense of time and hard dyno time on the bike (not to me, your sentiments may vary; whomever you are).  Lacking a truly talented local tuner who would also be a tune and forget it option (because you just know he's going to have it right) I'm very pleased the EMS package is out there.  It does a great job (at least on those I've worked with) and I don't have to spend hours dialing it close (because I can never truly know if I've got it dailed "in" anyway).

If I had an absolute known to be iron clad artist of a tuner as an option again this would still be an open question.  Most of us don't though.  Most of use "ok" or "decent" spinning the wheels on their local dynos.  Most of us don't have GMAC close at hand.  Lacking those options a bolt on and forget it option that is very very good is hard to turn down when the alternative is going far and wide chasing an ephemeral difference we may never feel in the seat of our pants anyway.
think we were saying the same thing here.
John Golden WOW you dont hear that name often anymore :2vrolijk_21:

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

John Golden WOW you dont hear that name often anymore :2vrolijk_21:

He's not been out of the game completely all that long.  But it's true their last two or three years with the dyno he and Sandy weren't out as much as they'd been in years past.  Roll it all together and at least half a decade has gone by since they were real active.  Last time I saw John was briefly right after the big tornado here in Joplin.  There place was missed by only a few blocks and all was (mostly) well.  They were still glad to be off the road though.  All the years on rally circuit had worn thin.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.