Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need help installing road tech gps on 2011 road glide..(fuse cavity )  (Read 3179 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!

instructions tell me to (gently) remove the secondary lock (orange) from the fuse cavity..I have a (fuse block adapter) that came with the GPS. .. does this get installed from the rear of the fuse cavity?....HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE SECONDARY LOCK????????????????   driving me nuts!!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: need help installing road tech gps on 2011 road glide..(fuse cavity )
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

Only thing that would get installed from the rear of the fuse panel would be a single terminal in to the empty half of a pair of holes that a fuse plugs in to.  To use a fuse in the fuse panel in what had to now been an empty spot. 

If what you've got in hand is a "fuse panel adapter" my guess is it's one of those piggyback pieces that let you use two fuses where before you had only one.  But those plug in place of an existing fuse.  From the front. 

Post a pic of the power adapter or wire or whatever it is that you've got.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »

I will post a pic tomorrow.. but its just as you discribed.. it is a wire , with a different connector on each end  (for different year bikes) the connector that is not for your bike you cut off.... And install the other end like you discribed  ..........................................
but its asking me to remove the orange secondary lock(from fuse panel)... to install new connector to complete the curcit for a fuse

( Only thing that would get installed from the rear of the fuse panel would be a single terminal in to the empty half of a pair of holes that a fuse plugs in to.  To use a fuse in the fuse panel in what had to now been an empty spot.  )

2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »

I had the same trouble when installing heated grips on my wifes 09 Ultra Classic.  It was a pain!!
I found info in the service manual, here is a scan of that page re: orange secondary locks....

Hope it helps
Rich

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »

HP, I'd started to write that the locks in the fuse block aren't a big deal.  But the other gent's PDF file shows it well.

Get the fuse block's cover off and have the block out of the side cover and in your hand.  Look closely at the orange locks. It's pretty easy to visualize how they pop out.  Look at it from all sides and you'll find the "ears" to push on to get them started.  If it's a problem let me know.  I've got the complete harness for the Road King project laying out and can take pics of the fuse panel to illustrate just what and where you need to push.

Once the lock is out the terminal installation is done just by pushing it in.  Eyeball an unused terminal that's already in the fuse panel so you'll know the orientation for the new terminal.  Once oriented correctly you just push it in until it locks in place. 

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:51:43 PM »

yeah, im messing up the lock.. its all pryed up.....been out there for 2 hrs now... :confused5:
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

Got it Thanks 2lane, thanks fellas :2vrolijk_21:
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.