Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shark Evoline 2 ST Helmet Review  (Read 6038 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Shark Evoline 2 ST Helmet Review
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »

Some discussion going on elsewhere here about this helmet, but I thought I'd do my review here so it might be found more easily later.  A nice review can be found here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline-series-2/   Most of the guys/gals who review product for that site don't ride Harley's, so I'll give my impressions on the helmet while riding a '11 SERGU with a Cee Bailey 13" Cee Glide windshield.  I have the exact same helmet that is reviewed on their site.  First, it is the only helmet that has the functionality of being a FF and the ability to make it a true 3/4 without removing chin bars, etc.  That I know about, anyway.  That part of the helmet works extremely well...easy to transform into a 3/4 sitting at a redlight, or even going down the road (though that is not recommended by the manufacturer, of course).  But it's easy to do, and the chinbar rests on the back of the helmet like it grew there.  In 3/4 mode, it works as well as any 3/4 helmet I've worn...visor protects your face well enough, and the internal Sun Shade makes you look like you're ready to fly a jet.

The paint, graphics, and overall finish on the helmet is excellent, with what seems like a very hard clearcoat, evenly applied with no obvious quality issues.  Both the visor and the internal Sun shade have a fog resistant coating, but I was unable to test that today..it's 78 degrees here right now.  The optical characteristics of both is excellent, with no visual distortion with one or both down at the same time.  The interior of the helmet is nicely padded with a wicking type fabric, and is easy to remove for cleaning.  Cheek pads are thick and comfortable, at least for my face.  There is a unique feature on the cheek pads...if you wear glasses, the foam density where the temple of your glasses frame enters the helmet is softer, so there is no pressure on the temples of your glasses.  Some helmets have caused pain after a while right behind my ear due to pressure on the temple area.  The fit of the helmet is nice and snug...the large size fits heads from 59-60 CM in circumference...pretty true to size...perhaps 1/2 size larger than indicated, so if you measure 58.5 CM, you'd want a Medium in all likelyhood.  I have a big head for my size, so the large fits well.  I measure 59CM.  The helmet is designed for a "slightly round" head shape, so if you have a slightly oval to round head, it should fit well.  On my head, the helmet seems to come down further than some...that will depend on the crown of your head.  There are removable foam covers where helmet speakers fit, with slight indentions in the foam so the speakers are recessed a bit.  With the foam covers removed, the shell liner is covered with a material that is similar to the female side of Velcro, so the helmet speakers will stick without need to stick Velcro inside the helmet.  The chin bar releases in the bottom center, like most Flip Face helmets these days, and it's easy to operate with one hand.  You must raise the clear visor to put the chin bar in the retracted position.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:26:04 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: Shark Evoline 2 ST Helmet Review
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »

...con't...One odd thing to get used to:  The clear visor's tab to raise/lower is located on the top center of the visor.  Just something to get used to.  The Sun Shade has a slide located on the top of the helmet, so you can put it in whatever position you want.  It also comes down far enough to be out of your line of sight...all the instruments are in the shaded portion when I glance down (on the RG).  The sun shade transmits about 50%...not as dark as sunglasses, but dark enough...a tad darker wouldn't hurt, but it was bright today, and I was not squinting.  The chin bar, when in the FF position, sits lower than most, and has a bit more room between your mouth and the bar than some helmets I've tried...good if you have a microphone in front of your mouth, as it's out of the way.  Also, with the chin bar being low, I don't have to move my head to see the lower gauges or the GPS.  The field of view is large top to bottom, and side to side.  The helmet is not light...very few Flip Face helmets are. Size Large is 4 lbs 4 3/4 ounces.  For comparison, a Nolan XL N-103 weighs 4 lbs 2 5/8 ounces.  However, the helmet feels much lighter on your head...it's well balanced, in both FF mode and 3/4 mode.  Very little air comes up under the chin bar when down...much, much less than my Nolan N-102 without the chin flap.  It's about the same as the Nolan WITH the chin flap installed.  This is likely due to the chin bar being lower, plus the design.  Noise levels are about the same as my Nolan at speed. Not bad, but there is some wind noise.  Turbulence/buffeting is not bad at all, and on the RG, gets less and less the faster you go.  But at 65mph, the Shark does not make you a bobble head at all.  Moving your head to look back right or left when changing lanes is no problem...the helmet seems pretty aerodynamic, IMO.  At 90mph on the RG, the wind is just hitting the top of the shell.  The neck roll around the back/sides of the helmet is very comfortable, and seals well.  There's a small vent on top, and one on the chin bar.  You can tell they're open, but there's not a great deal of air moving around inside the helmet.  Of course, if it's that hot, you just flip it into 3/4 mode.  The visor seals well, and has useful detents for anti-fogging...raised all the way up, it's in the air stream, so you get a bit of rattle at speeds over 50 mph.  At "normal" positions, no rattle and it stays where you put it.  I was able to install the HD Boom headset in the helmet, so there is room for clamping it to the bottom left of the helmet with the smaller interior clamp that comes with the HD set.  The boom for the mic is out of the way when raising/lowering the chin bar.

All in all, it's a nice helmet, so it's a keeper for me.  They are a little pricey, but you can find some deals on Ebay, which is where mine came from.  Shark is a French company, and the US distributor has changed recently, from my understanding.

TTS Mastertune

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »

Thanks Terry for a great review. I like this helmets versatility to be able to flip the chin bar to the back. Also like the fact I can use my HD Boom Headset with this helmet. No need to spend more money there. Thanks again for posting!

:bananarock:

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »

I have this helmet and have been very happy with it, I like it for what it is capable of doing by its designs. TC your review was perfect in your descriptions, you nailed all the features.
  When I bought mine (XL) I bought an additional XL for my Wife that we have never used and is still new in the box, color Gloss black, if anyone is interested we would be willing to sell it, she tried mine on and it does not fit her head correctly.

Mike

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »

Terry good write up. I've had my 2nd generation Shark about a year now and have been pleased. It is a little noisy and hot in the summer ( not enough air flow) but the ear pockets work well with the wireless intercom. and then there is the story about the pigeon I hit coming back from New River CVo GTG last year. It was a great time to be wearing it. If you shop around you can pick on up for a great price! :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »

BL,

I've started wearing ear plugs when I ride (well, most of the time).  Wind noise is a real problem in most helmets...this one is about normal in that respect.  Schuberth is supposed to be the quietest helmet out there that's a flip face, but they are hard to find other than ordering off the internet, and I'd like to try one on before I put down my $700.

I've used this helmet a few more times since writing the review, and am still liking it a great deal.  I've yet to find a FF helmet that is what I'd call "cool" in the summertime, so we'll see about this one.  That's one reason I got the white one...should be a bit cooler than my standard color...Black.  Plus, maybe I'll be more visible... :nixweiss:

The Pigeon story sounds interesting...you'll have to share that.

TTS Mastertune

HHP

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Street Glide Ruby Red
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »

Hi from Germany. Just to let you know. In week 10 my dealer announced the "Shark Evolution Series 3" helmet. Price in Germany will be around 350 Euro. I will buy one and let you know about my experiences.
Sportster 883 / Dyna Super Glide / E-Glide Standard / Heritage Springer / Heritage Classic / Night Rod / Softail Deluxe / CVO Street Glide

HHP

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Street Glide Ruby Red
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:52 AM »

Hi from Germany. Just to let you know. In week 10 my dealer announced the "Shark Evolution Series 3" helmet. Price in Germany will be around 350 Euro. I will buy one and let you know about my experiences.

Hello from Germany. I bought the "Shark Evoline Series 3", size XL, (349 Euros) about 1000 km (620 mls) ago and had partly trips on German Autobahn with top speed up to 90 miles. I´m 183 cm tall (6 feet) and riding a SEEG3 with standard fairing screen and seat. First of all the helmet is absolutely fantastic in both worlds. As a 3/4 or full helmet the function is very good and handling is very easy. As far as I know it is together with "Roof Boxer Helmet" the only one approved as 3/4 and full face helmet. The switch from full face to 3/4 helmet is easy and even you should not do it you can switch easy while riding. Quality is good. As 3/4 helmet you can ride up to 120 km (75 mls) top speed with acceptable noise and low buffeting. Over 120 km (75 mls) top speed to need to use the helmet as full face. For sure the helmet is not as other regular full face helmets regarding noise and buffeting. But if you want two helmets in one I see no other choice.

Ride safe and have fun.
Sportster 883 / Dyna Super Glide / E-Glide Standard / Heritage Springer / Heritage Classic / Night Rod / Softail Deluxe / CVO Street Glide

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.