Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: superchips vigilante  (Read 6225 times)

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
superchips vigilante
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »

well it is March and as far as I can see noone has seen the new Superchips product on the market?  It was supposed to be out in February.  Has anybody got anything on this new tuner?
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: superchips vigilante
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »

well it is March and as far as I can see noone has seen the new Superchips product on the market?  It was supposed to be out in February.  Has anybody got anything on this new tuner?

What's so "Super" about it, and who supposedly makes it?  Can't say I've ever heard of it. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:10:33 PM »

So there's some other Super Chip besides Chip?  What the hell's up with that? 

Hey Super Chip!?  You best be protecting your cred here buddy!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:12:35 PM »

OK, I found their website, and from the tiny bit of information available it appears that Superchips sells canned maps for automotive products that you install with their little hand-held "tuner" module.  Now they have decided to expand into the wonderful world of Harley, and if the Harley tuner is similar to the automotive devices, all I can say is that there are many much more capable solutions already available.  Nothing "Super" that I can see.

https://www.superchips.com/#pn=home&hps=harleydavidson

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »

I bought this super tuner from Howie. (yes the one that was at NRG)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »

I bought this super tuner from Howie. (yes the one that was at NRG)

SBB

How'd that tuner work for you Super Chip?

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »

What's so "Super" about it, and who supposedly makes it?  Can't say I've ever heard of it. 

Jerry

Uh, well Superchips makes it and is called the 'Vigilante'.  Just won a new product of the year award at the recent VTwin Expo. 
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »

Uh, well Superchips makes it and is called the 'Vigilante'.  Just won a new product of the year award at the recent VTwin Expo. 

Not sure about it winning an award at Vtwin, but they did not have anything at the show to display or show other than tuning for automobiles and  Kuryakyn had a sign in there booth as winner of the best new product for there "Perfect Storm Kit"  :nixweiss:
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »

You are correct in that there is not much info on the website.  For what it's worth...as I understand it, the Vigilante will be different than its automotive solutions. Initially, the software loaded on your laptop will download the stock tune file, and then the user can select a file appropriate for your configuration (not unique to Vigilante of course) and upload.  At that point you can employ the Vigilante to perform the fine tuning.  It will include 'Live Tuning' where you can keep the bike running on the dyno and tune in real time rather than having to shut down, review logs, and make adjustments.  Also, using the wide band O2 sensor expansion module, you can AutoTune on many bikes.  And it will allegedly have a 'Quick Switch' .. a toggle switch at the handlebar that allows you to switch between two pre-selected maps...for example in traffic a map to run cooler, then switch to a highway performance map.  Apparently editors at the recent VTwin Expo found it interesting enough to select the Vigilante as their New Product of the Year.  Like everybody else, I know only what I have found thru research....but maybe the above will help.    Steve.

OK, I found their website, and from the tiny bit of information available it appears that Superchips sells canned maps for automotive products that you install with their little hand-held "tuner" module.  Now they have decided to expand into the wonderful world of Harley, and if the Harley tuner is similar to the automotive devices, all I can say is that there are many much more capable solutions already available.  Nothing "Super" that I can see.

https://www.superchips.com/#pn=home&hps=harleydavidson

Jerry
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »

Not sure which show you attended?  As I understand it, there are two trade shows scheduled closely together.  Here is the quote from the Superchips Facebook page:

"Superchips new Harley-Davidson tuning solution, the Vigilante, won the Teresi award last night for new product innovation at the 2011 V-Twin Expo in Cincinnati.  The award is an Editors Choice award so a really big honor for the team to take home. We'll post more pictures from the show when we get back to Florida."

They have a photo of the award at their Facebook page, if really that interested.  I also saw some photos of their booth which clearly had H-D bikes as part of the display.    Steve.

Not sure about it winning an award at Vtwin, but they did not have anything at the show to display or show other than tuning for automobiles and  Kuryakyn had a sign in there booth as winner of the best new product for there "Perfect Storm Kit"  :nixweiss:
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »

Yes, this was the Cincinnati show where Kuryakan had the best new product award display in there booth. Superchips had bikes in there booth but no motorcycle product to show or display. When I asked them about it they said it was being worked on and was due out in late Feb. Not sure what a Teresi award is but may it's different than the Best New Product that Kuryakyn got awarded to them at the show.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »

Feb 09, 2011

2011 Engine of the Year. S&S Cycle KN-Kone Motor.
2011 Wheel Designer of the Year. RC Components Zenith Wheels.
2011 Tech Product of the Year. WISECO Performance Products Fuel Manager Controller.
2011 New Product of the Year. Belt Drives Limited EV-600 2-inch Belt Drive.
2011 Accessory of the Year. J&M Corperation Rocker Motorcycle Sound System.
2011 Value Product of the Year. Enigma Concepts. Continuous Airflow Oil Cooling System.
2011 Motorcycle Design of the Year. The Trike Shop. Roadsmith Trike Conversion.
2011 Performance Product of the Year. Kuryakyn The Perfect Storm.
2011 Teresi Prize For Innovative Product Award. Superchips Vigilante V-Twin Tuning Systems.
2011 Cruiser of the Year. Harley-Davidson Sportster Fourty Eight.
2011 Custom Production Bike of the Year. Victory Motorcycles Zach Ness Signature Series Victory Vegas.
2011 V-Twin Bike of the Year. Harley-Davidson Road Glide Custom.
2011 Industry Leader of the Year. Mark Finnie Performance Machine.
2011 Industry Trend Setter of the Year. Paul Yaffe Bagger Nation.
2011 Lifetime Achievement Award. Allen Alvarez Daytona Twin Tech.
2011 Keeping the Faith Award. Christine and Bob LePera Junior. In Honor and Memory of Bob LePera, LePera Manufacturing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the full list of "awards".  Not sure what the heck a "Teresi Award for Innovative Products" is, but since the product doesn't seem to exist in the real world yet I would think it's a little early to worry about it one way or the other.  There have been plenty of supposedly innovative product ideas over the years that never amounted to anything; I'd suggest waiting for some real world experience and test results before hauling out the ol' check book.  And I still don't see a need for umpteen gazillion more tuner choices.  Look further up the list for instance, you'll find "Tech Product of the Year - WISECO Performance Products Fuel Manager Controller."  It seems that every swingin' ---- out there has discovered EFI "tuning" as a new profit center.

BTW, these folks gave the award for 2011 Cruiser of the Year to the Harley Sportster 48.  And I should somehow be impressed with their other choices?

Jerry

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »

Thanks, Jerry!!  Wow...looks like everybody gets an award of some kind!!  I personally agree that I'm not sure how many more tuning solutions we need.  Guess we can only wait and see what the thing really looks like and does, with real world user data to support it.    

Feb 09, 2011

2011 Engine of the Year. S&S Cycle KN-Kone Motor.
2011 Wheel Designer of the Year. RC Components Zenith Wheels.
2011 Tech Product of the Year. WISECO Performance Products Fuel Manager Controller.
2011 New Product of the Year. Belt Drives Limited EV-600 2-inch Belt Drive.
2011 Accessory of the Year. J&M Corperation Rocker Motorcycle Sound System.
2011 Value Product of the Year. Enigma Concepts. Continuous Airflow Oil Cooling System.
2011 Motorcycle Design of the Year. The Trike Shop. Roadsmith Trike Conversion.
2011 Performance Product of the Year. Kuryakyn The Perfect Storm.
2011 Teresi Prize For Innovative Product Award. Superchips Vigilante V-Twin Tuning Systems.
2011 Cruiser of the Year. Harley-Davidson Sportster Fourty Eight.
2011 Custom Production Bike of the Year. Victory Motorcycles Zach Ness Signature Series Victory Vegas.
2011 V-Twin Bike of the Year. Harley-Davidson Road Glide Custom.
2011 Industry Leader of the Year. Mark Finnie Performance Machine.
2011 Industry Trend Setter of the Year. Paul Yaffe Bagger Nation.
2011 Lifetime Achievement Award. Allen Alvarez Daytona Twin Tech.
2011 Keeping the Faith Award. Christine and Bob LePera Junior. In Honor and Memory of Bob LePera, LePera Manufacturing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the full list of "awards".  Not sure what the heck a "Teresi Award for Innovative Products" is, but since the product doesn't seem to exist in the real world yet I would think it's a little early to worry about it one way or the other.  There have been plenty of supposedly innovative product ideas over the years that never amounted to anything; I'd suggest waiting for some real world experience and test results before hauling out the ol' check book.  And I still don't see a need for umpteen gazillion more tuner choices.  Look further up the list for instance, you'll find "Tech Product of the Year - WISECO Performance Products Fuel Manager Controller."  It seems that every swingin' ---- out there has discovered EFI "tuning" as a new profit center.

BTW, these folks gave the award for 2011 Cruiser of the Year to the Harley Sportster 48.  And I should somehow be impressed with their other choices?

Jerry

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:17:29 PM by retired_colonel »
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.