Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone going with a single disc and 6 piston brake up front?  (Read 1473 times)

w.matthews23

• Junior CVO Member

I'm thinking about ditching the right side caliper and disc and going with a HHI 6-piston brake caliper on the left side. What are your thoughts? Good idea, bad idea, other options? I want to open that right side up so you can actually see the wheel.

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
Re: Anyone going with a single disc and 6 piston brake up front?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »

I haven't seen anything here yet that someone has done this, but I sure would love to see some pics when you get it done. I would be most interested to hear about what your thoughts are once you've tested it out too. I've been thinking about the 360 brake also...Keep us informed please and don't forget the pics. Thanks.

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:12:55 PM »

I'm thinking about ditching the right side caliper and disc and going with a HHI 6-piston brake caliper on the left side. What are your thoughts? Good idea, bad idea, other options? I want to open that right side up so you can actually see the wheel.

If you just want to enter the bike in shows, then I guess it wouldn't matter.  However, if you intend to actually ride the bike on a regular basis I think I'd stick with the dual discs.  Appearance concerns should never be used to justify compromising safety.  JMHO of course.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »

I did that on my 06 Ultra, loved the look stopped just fine
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

w.matthews23

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »

I'm not sure if I'm doing it for sure or not. Trying to get feedback first. If I do I will def download pics. The bike isn't for show. It will get alot of miles on it. I'm not gonna use the 360 brake. I heard it sucks as far as stopping power and way to expensive. If I had a show bike I would use it tho.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:18:20 PM by w.matthews23 »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »

What Jerry said. ;)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »

Nite-Al did it on his Cherry SEEG & he continues to say that it stops just fine.  :cherry: Looks great also.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »

Nite-Al did it on his Cherry SEEG & he continues to say that it stops just fine:cherry: Looks great also.  spyder

No doubt it will still stop, and as long as you don't get into a situation that requires the full braking capabilities of the bike I imagine most folks who had just spent all that money would say "it stops just fine".  But when the stuff hits the fan, I want as much braking power as I can get with a 850+ lb bike.  I think we can safely say, considering how cheap the MoCo is, that they wouldn't install dual front brakes on the Touring bikes if they weren't needed to meet braking standards.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »

No doubt it will still stop, and as long as you don't get into a situation that requires the full braking capabilities of the bike I imagine most folks who had just spent all that money would say "it stops just fine".   But when the stuff hits the fan, I want as much braking power as I can get with a 850+ lb bike.  I think we can safely say, considering how cheap the MoCo is, that they wouldn't install dual front brakes on the Touring bikes if they weren't needed to meet braking standards.

Jerry

hehehe...  That's what i was thinking.... ::)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »

No doubt it will still stop, and as long as you don't get into a situation that requires the full braking capabilities of the bike I imagine most folks who had just spent all that money would say "it stops just fine".  But when the stuff hits the fan, I want as much braking power as I can get with a 850+ lb bike.  I think we can safely say, considering how cheap the MoCo is, that they wouldn't install dual front brakes on the Touring bikes if they weren't needed to meet braking standards.

Jerry
Well, I can tell you that my heavier dresser stops much better with the dual discs than my softtail nostalgia with one.  But, they're not very good looking.  :(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »

Jerry

X 2...since about 80% of your braking power in a full blown panic stop comes from the front end, I can't see cutting the friction down that dramatically, looks or no looks.  Of course, that depends to a great extent on how much a person actually uses the front brakes.  For me, the front brake gets used every single time I stop, slow down, etc.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »

So what would happen to the ABS?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »

So what would happen to the ABS?

That's $1,000,000 question.....folks I've talked to at PM said they'd advise against fooling around with anything that modifies the stock ABS configuration. There has not been enough research and testing done to certify that it could be safely and without other complications arising.

Also as a data point the 360 Brake will not work with ABS.

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »

That's $1,000,000 question.....folks I've talked to at PM said they'd advise against fooling around with anything that modifies the stock ABS configuration. There has not been enough research and testing done to certify that it could be safely and without other complications arising.

Also as a data point the 360 Brake will not work with ABS.

I figured as much IRT the ABS and was pretty sure it would have to be w/o ABS for that application. It wasn't more than a passing whim...besides, there are other mods that have priority. I am curious about 360's reputation and performance these days...I thought that they got the bugs out of their product...

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.