Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dynojet Power Vision + Jackpot 2-1-2 + V&H Hi-Output  (Read 5230 times)

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
Dynojet Power Vision + Jackpot 2-1-2 + V&H Hi-Output
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »

Installed the Power Vision (PV) last week on my '10 FLHXSE - took only a few minutes with the hardest part trying to figure out where the ECM cable was (then I read the maintenance manuals!). Very slick and very easy. Got the PV and Header from Jamie at FuelMoto (who has been great). He loaded it with a more efficient stock map and a map for the header and stock mufflers. He has the V&H on back order but once I have that he'll supply a map.

Not sure how many folks know about the PV, it was only released a few months ago and is a completely different platform and concept than the Power Commanders. I was initially going to go with the PCV but Jamie and I talked at length about it and for my type of riding (mod and forget), it is ideal - especially if he's got maps ready to go. Simply the PCV piggy-backs on the OEM ECM "biasing" data the ECM sees. The PV, on the other hand, flashes the ECM with new maps, so the ECM is the only controller - you don't need the PV once done. The software for your laptop/computer is really great and is a step up from the version for the PCV. Hard to say if the PV will phase out the PCV since they do cater to 2 different crowds. The big difference is the opportunity to use a closed loop control system on the PCV fitted with the wide band Autotune. A PV set-up does not allow for closed loop operation since the Auto tune doesn’t plug into the OEM ECM. You connect a wide band Autotune to the PV instead to help tune your map. Once you have a tuned map on your PV (and possibly tweaked on your laptop) based on the data received by the Autotune module plugged into the PV, you then can flash it to your ECM. Then your ECM will run open loop outside of the narrow band O2 sensors' range (which is the stock O2 snesors plugged into your ECM). In the end however, it all comes down to the quality of the maps used and how well they are tuned to your specific bike. The open loop vs closed loop control debate will also be a tipping point in the decision of PV vs PCV.

In terms of installation, the PV went quickly allowing more time to "Play" with the software. I went with the Techmount hardware to mount it to my bars and ran the supplied interface cable under the tank console and under my seat. Cable wasn't long enough to reach the side panel where the ECM tether is located, so I had to route the ECM cable back and forward to allow it to be connected to the PV cable. To be candid, bar mounting isn't needed: once you load your new map into the ECM, you don't need the PV installed. Just keep it in your bag or pocket (size of a Garmin NUVI GPS). Online connectivity just allows you to log/watch ECM parameters live (gadget heads would love it). This is truly a simple "plug and play" set-up that the computer industry could learn from!

No comment on the header -since enough has been said on them on this site. I like it but have no "data" to base my bias.
Disclaimer: All information can be 100% wrong – I don’t claim to be nor am I an expert at anything but BS. ;D

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
Re: Dynojet Power Vision + Jackpot 2-1-2 + V&H Hi-Output
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »

good write up :2vrolijk_21:
keep us posted,with your findings.
so you running a closed loop cruise area of what AFR?
you leaving the sensors in,or taking them out and running open loop after your done tuning?

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »

Responses to your questions:

"so you running a closed loop cruise area of what AFR?"

This is what I understand: Since the only O2 sensors connected to my Harley ECM is the original stock O2 narrow band (NB) sensors, the ECM will operate in closed loop so long as the operating conditions are within the O2 sensors range – which isn’t a wide spread, but then again, the stock maps don’t ask for an AFR outside of the band. Therefore, in my case, closed loop operation is in a range slightly lower to slightly higher than 14.7 (14.2 to 15 I believe for stock O2 NB sensors). However, if there is ever a condition whereby operation occurs outside the limits of O2 sensor operation (i.e. the sensor’s voltage signal saturates) the ECM will switch to open loop operation (possibly a failsafe???).

That said, if there was ever a wide band (WB) O2 sensor installed to the ECM, you can expect you’d never operate outside that band (because it goes to a fairly low range <12 to a fairly high range >15) and therefore you’ll always be in closed look operation. Unfortunately, I don’t think you can ever have this option since WB sensors (4-wire) can’t be connected to the stock ECM (NB’s are 2-wire I think). The only solutions to have 1) WB O2 sensors and 2) Closed loop operation are:
  A) to have an ECM that can be fitted with WB sensors (i.e. Zipper Thundermax) or
  B) a piggy-back controller connected to the stock ECM that can have the WB sensors connected to that (i.e. Power Commander 5 with the WB Autotune)
  C) There may be more, but I’m no expert

The other ECM piggy-backs don’t have WB O2 sensor connectivity I believe…so they with the ECM will always be open loop operation possibly closed only within the confines of the NB sensors if attached.

The maps I currently have from Jamie run richer than the stock Harley maps (neat feature of the Power Vision computer software is the “compare” tool which shows you the deltas between maps parameters (lambda, timing, etc). From the lambdas in his map, they are asking the stock ECM to operate in a range outside the NB  O2 sensors during high RPM and mass air flow  - so my guess is that my bike is operating in open loop in those map areas.

“you leaving the sensors in, or taking them out and running open loop after your done tuning?”

I moved the original stock O2 sensors from the stock header to the new Jackpot 2-1-2 header. I went with the Jackpot 2-1-2 because it has BOTH NB bungs and WB bungs. So if I ever want to install the Dynojet Autotune, I can. As noted in the original post, the Autotune will only connect to the Power Vision and that only for data collection into the PV so that you can create tuned maps. After that, you flash the new  map (or any map for that matter) into the stock Harley ECM. PV and Autontun are then no longer required.

A quick note on the PV: the first step is to save the stock Harley map from the ECM. The PV will save it (can be backed-up on your home computer/laptop). Should you ever want to reload the stock map – presto, easy. No mess, no fuss, no ghost code, no hardware, no wires, all you have is a completely stock ECM in 1 minute. Handy for those who worry ECM tampering may cause havoc on warranty and dealer matters. Last, the PV sounds great: flash the map and unplug. Why not get one PV and flash a whole pile of bikes – wrong: once you save the original stock map of your bike, the PV “marries” to the bike and can’t be used for any other bike – ever. A real bummer if you want to sell your bike since the PV must go with it.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »

So if I ever want to install the Dynojet Autotune, I can.
ok my bad. I though you were running autotune with the PV.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

I too purchased the Power Vision as has several of my buddies.  It operates within the NB sensors 14.2 to 14.7.  Jamie recommended the Power Vision over the PC V (of which I have had on three separate bikes and all were perfect).  Since, this is his specialty, I went with the new solution.  Very cool product and exceptionally easy to tune.

The "future" autotune (currently in develpoment) will monitor the engine and decide what chagnes the map needs.  You have to then stop and download the changes (ten minutes at most). 

The new autotune does not change the map like the PC V with autotune does on the fly.  It is static not dynamic.

At leats that is what I understand.  Anyway, it is easy to use and the bike runs great.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 25 queries.