Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunday morning ride...... 7.24.11  (Read 4622 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Sunday morning ride...... 7.24.11
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »

Terrie and I went for a morning ride up in the gold country.  We left Elk Grove via Wilton.....only a couple of miles from the house.

We passed Rancho Seco nuclear power plant.  It's deactivated now however, they still have all the fuel rods there.  I think it's been closed for ten or fifteen years.....not sure if they even have a long term plan for the spent nucler rods.

This time of the morning most bikes are headed up into the hills, not down out of them.

As usual, two lane roads and small ol' gold mining towns were the order for the day.........
This is the sleepy little town of Ione.  About the only thing going there now days is a couple bars, a couple restaurants, a couple stores and a large men's prison.

Soon we arrive in Jackson.  Two old two lane highways intersect in this town....Hwy. 88 which runs east and west and Hwy. 49 (the gold country highway of 1849......thus it's number) which runs north and south.  Jackson actually has a couple active gold mines closed to the public and operating as a mining business.  They also have a couple of mines that are inactive and open to the public, even though they both still have gold in them.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them closed to the public in the near future, if the price of gold keeps climbing.

Main St. is a real ghost town on Sunday mornings......

But we did find out where the geezers hang out.....

We stopped at the edge of town for gas and then a little bite to eat.  We made a mental note to remember this place.....the ombience, food and prices were all great! :2vrolijk_21:  Thomi's Breakfast & Pastries however, they had a nice looking lunch and dinner menu as well.  Terrie made a comment "no wonder it's the only place in town that's packed on a Sunday".........I figured the churches probably were too. ;)

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Sunday morning ride...... 7.24.11
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »

We pressed on, further up in the hills.....

Many of the Nor Cal group have been to Electra Rd. beach with me over the years.  It's on the Mokelumne River just off of Hwy. 49.  It's back in about 4 miles on a road that the goats try to avoid, less than a lane wide at points and is a dead end road at the powerhouse dam (owned by the utility company).  The utility company has put in pit toilets, tables and b-b-q's at several of the beaches along the road.  It's a white water river but the beach all they way at the back is a large sandy beach surrounded by many trees, crystal clear water that you can see huge trout in and just a fed degrees above freezing (melted snow run off).

The only calm streatch of the river, due to it being almost flat and no large bolders in the river, is under the Hwy. 49 bridge.  Amazing the difference in the rive a mile up or down river.

the little gold mining town of Mokelumne Hill....

Leaving Moke Hill, as the locals call it, we get on Hwy. 26 East (not "the 26"!) and further on up in the hills....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »

Next town we came to was West Point, where they'll have the annual Lumberjack Days Oct. 1, 2011.  This looks like it would be a fun event to attend (anybody inerested??).....  http://www.leendee.com/LJDays/ljdays.html.... http://www.gocalaveras.com/lumberjack-days 

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »

Plymouth, Ca. was our next stop.  Just took a little break in the town park, drink Gatorade and visited for awhile....

Home is only about 25 miles from here and it's up in the mid 90's today so we're headed back to the barn....

Mackey Rd. is just down the street from our home.....just a beautiful tree lined street that's a welcome ride when it's in the triple digits....

West Coast GTG   

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »

Beautiful pictures JC! :2vrolijk_21: Looked like an awesome day to ride! Thanks for sharing, God Bless!

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »

Beautiful pictures JC! :2vrolijk_21: Looked like an awesome day to ride! Thanks for sharing, God Bless!

:2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »

Thanks for the ride today JC.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Great pics and ride report! Thanks for sharing.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »

As always, thanks for sharing JC! Always enjoy your photos and reports.

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

Beautiful ride, thanks for sharing!  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »

Nice ride, JC.

Two questions:  How do you aim your DSLR while riding?  And, what helmet is Terrie wearing now?  I thought you guys wore N-103's, but her's doesn't look like a 103.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »

Nice ride, JC.

Two questions:  How do you aim your DSLR while riding?  And, what helmet is Terrie wearing now?  I thought you guys wore N-103's, but her's doesn't look like a 103.

I'm thinkin' you're only seeing the best one of about 20 or 30 attempts on the one pointing back to Terrie! ;) :huepfenlol2:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »

I'm thinkin' you're only seeing the best one of about 20 or 30 attempts on the one pointing back to Terrie! ;) :huepfenlol2:

:huepfenlol2:  That's what I'm thinking too, Brian.  I know JC shoots a Nikon hung around his neck, and you can't frame a shot without putting your eye to the viewfinder.   :nervous:  He's probably just had a lot of practice "shooting from the hip".  8)

TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »

Nice ride, JC.

Two questions:  How do you aim your DSLR while riding?  And, what helmet is Terrie wearing now?  I thought you guys wore N-103's, but her's doesn't look like a 103.

I ride without hands if I have to adjust the focus.  Even shooting behind me.....sometimes I just point and shoot, other times I'll use both hands. :nixweiss:

Yes, we both have the N-102 and N-103 and she now has the Nolan Trilogy....I think it's called the N-43.

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »

I ride without hands if I have to adjust the focus.  Even shooting behind me.....sometimes I just point and shoot, other times I'll use both hands. :nixweiss:

Yes, we both have the N-102 and N-103 and she now has the Nolan Trilogy....I think it's called the N-43.

That's why I didn't recognize it.  Nice looking lid, and the sunshade looks very functional.

TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.