Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cv carb setting and harley jets needles for stock engine  (Read 3276 times)

fxr1234

cv carb setting and harley jets needles for stock engine
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:39:52 AM »

:pepper: I am trying to set up a keihin cv carb on my stock engine right now. It has a 45 slow jet and a 175 main jet with a nokt  needle off a 1999 fxr2 I think;  with two washers under the needle that were aproximately  .024 thickness each. I am thinking of switching to a sporster needle [HD# 27094-88] with no shims to improve low end acceleration with out hesitation. Am I going in the right direction ? What are all you  other  guys and gals using in your bone stock fxrs
If you can't let go of the bars and steer it with your knees vibration free,  then u got issues .

zn14

Re: cv carb setting and harley jets needles for stock engine
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »

my FXR3 has a 45 slow jet, 175 main jet, sportster needle, and 2.25 turns out on the mixture screw....
I'm at 5,000 feet, if I were at sea level I would probably try a 180 main jet......

fxr1234

Re: cv carb setting and harley jets needles for stock engine
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »

:pepper: thank you for your  response.  I am at sea level and I will try the 180 main jet  with the 1988 sportster needle that I ordered from Harley dealer . Cost $1.50 in shipping so I hope it shows up soon. I just ground down a flat blade screw driver bit out of a multibit screw driver so that I can possibly use it in conjunction with a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 1/4 "  socket to  adjust idle mixture screw through spark plug side of cylinders with out burning hands. I do plan on doing a ride this summer across British Columbia Canada this summer and I hope just readjusting idle mixture screw  and idle will compensate for the elevation rise .
If you can't let go of the bars and steer it with your knees vibration free,  then u got issues .

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.