Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailering with wheel clamp only  (Read 3237 times)

MontereyJack

Trailering with wheel clamp only
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »

I have been looking at ways to trailering my bike without the tiedowns. I saw this one from Sonoma Custom Machine
they make trailers or the "the Clamp" by itself for $199.00
http://www.outlawmotorcycle.com/
Sorry I do not know how to make a hyper link.
My question is has anyone used this product? I did a search on wheel clamps and came up with nothing.

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
Re: Trailering with wheel clamp only
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »

I don't remember where I saw the gadget that mounts underside of the bike to the frame and the trailer has a receiver thats all held together with a pin assy.  you load the bike and align the two and install the pin, it holds the bike ridgid to the trailer. Maybe somebody has a better memory than I do!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »

I don't remember where I saw the gadget that mounts underside of the bike to the frame and the trailer has a receiver thats all held together with a pin assy.  you load the bike and align the two and install the pin, it holds the bike ridgid to the trailer. Maybe somebody has a better memory than I do!

Do you mean this:

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/products/harley-davidson/tools-and-shop-accessories/frame-lock-standard-system.cfm

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »

Anybody here put any miles on with this system?

I saw it at a rally once...looked strong. Still not sure I would trailer without any straps at all though.

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »

ttp://www.framelock.com. Try this one, incredible. 2 bikes riding 2.5 inches apart and neither move after 1,000s of miles. Leave my tiedowns in the garage now.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »

ttp://www.framelock.com. Try this one, incredible. 2 bikes riding 2.5 inches apart and neither move after 1,000s of miles. Leave my tiedowns in the garage now.

Same one as posted above

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »

I have been looking at ways to trailering my bike without the tiedowns. I saw this one from Sonoma Custom Machine
they make trailers or the "the Clamp" by itself for $199.00
http://www.outlawmotorcycle.com/
Sorry I do not know how to make a hyper link.
My question is has anyone used this product? I did a search on wheel clamps and came up with nothing.

Any particular reason for not wanting to strap 30-40K woth of bike down? Just curious.....
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »

I saw it at a rally once...looked strong. Still not sure I would trailer without any straps at all though.

That's what I'm thinking. :2vrolijk_21:  Why take that risk?  Weld breaks......poof....... :oops:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cvotex1

• CVO1: 2009 SE Springer
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2012 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »

I just ordered one of the Frame Lock's from Brian Hillmer at DRM Industries (manufacturer).  Great customer service.  They have several videos on You Tube if you search for Frame Lock. 

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »

bikersgostrapless.com      These work exceptionally well     do a search, I have talked about them before

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »

S&S had the one of the above type brackets on display in the booth at Sturgis, last year or the year before. I asked the guy for the name of the company that did the engineering work-up on this design to allow hauling with no other tie-down. He told me if I was worried at all I didn't need his product. Not the right answer in my opinion. Also how can the manufacturer of this product say no tie downs necessary when he has no control over the surface the unit is mounted to. Most bike trailers have plywood floors, if you didn't install it over a steel crossmember how could it be secure enough to hold a 1000# motorcycle.
I will stay with my Condor and tie-downs.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »

S&S had the one of the above type brackets on display in the booth at Sturgis, last year or the year before. I asked the guy for the name of the company that did the engineering work-up on this design to allow hauling with no other tie-down. He told me if I was worried at all I didn't need his product. Not the right answer in my opinion. Also how can the manufacturer of this product say no tie downs necessary when he has no control over the surface the unit is mounted to. Most bike trailers have plywood floors, if you didn't install it over a steel crossmember how could it be secure enough to hold a 1000# motorcycle.I will stay with my Condor and tie-downs.

Check to see if your "D" rings are in plywood or into a cross member. Sometimes the customer has to use just a little common sense. Obviously if you have a cheap trailer with 3/8' plywood floor you would not want to haul a bike with a clamp system under the bike.  BUT -- would you think that your "D" rings would be any more secure in that cheap piece of plywood????? I think the salesman gave you a perfect answer. If you see something you do not think will work -- or trust --  DO NOT buy it.  When the manufacture company stated that no tie downs are necessary, I am sure there is something in their instructions that state that you should only mount on a "solid" surface. That is where the common sense comes into play. Sometimes the customer must use their brain. The company that I bought my system from supplied steel plates to put under the flooring. My trailer has 5/8' flooring but I still used the plates. The surface area of the mount that I use is approximately 14" X about 6". That is surely more mounting surface than a couple of "D" rings. Did that salesman say that you could NOT mount his system over a cross brace?? But like the salesman said to you, if you are worried-- use a different hold down.  The original post was asking about this type of mount.  You are obviously happy with "D" rings and straps, and that is great. Case closed. :oops:

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.