Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Driver was receiving a text message when she struck motorcycle  (Read 1539 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG

This accident occurred about one week ago. The cause was just substantiated. Unsubstantiated as of yet is that this rider has lost one leg and possibly an arm. This is a local incident I share as a reminder (as if we need any more) to please be careful my friends.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Sheriff-s-Investigators-Driver-was-receiving-a/83IeEoBIrUCrbsbo4dVLTA.cspx

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Driver was receiving a text message when she struck motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

tragic! And unnecessary.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »

And just issued a ticket for failure to keep right....I hope can they do more than that

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »

Kick circle needs to be formed... >:(

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

This is exactly why i support the idea where cell phones should be mandated so that it turns off while in motion above around 10 MPH unless a caller is calling 911 . No matter how much we sit here and bitch about drivers, and write tickets for same drivers using their phones while driving,, there going to still do it.  We all agree with this fact right?? I know we do !!  :2vrolijk_21:
The solution is simple, Make the damn phone turn off when we get into a car and start driving..  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

One thing though,, can you imagine how much an older cell phone would go for on EBay   >:(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:32:12 PM by cvobiker »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »

They'll never pass that law 'cause the people that vote on the legislation are some of the very ones using the phones while driving to the State Capitals.  Not to mention the big business of making and selling the phones.  It's like all the hands free stuff that Ford and others are putting in their cars that will distract drivers, yet they're claiming that they're safe due to hands and eyes free functioning.  But the mind concentration is the biggie.  Gonna get worse, my fellow riders.....watch and see.  :nervous: Easy to get on this soap box when you're laid-up in pain and can't ride.   :-[ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »

This is exactly why i support the idea where cell phones should be mandated so that it turns off while in motion above around 10 MPH unless a caller is calling 911 . No matter how much we sit here and bitch about drivers, and write tickets for same drivers using their phones while driving,, there going to still do it.  We all agree with this fact right?? I know we do !!  :2vrolijk_21:
The solution is simple, Make the damn phone turn off when we get into a car and start driving..  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

One thing though,, can you imagine how much an older cell phone would go for on EBay   >:(

Not a bad idea...but I see 1 problem.....what happens if a passenger wants to make a call?  The phone is still going more than 10MPH, but the person isn't the one doing the driving....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »

Just embed something in the drivers seat/front seats  that would disable that position phone.....I'm sure they could isolate it somehow.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »

Hell...talking on the phone is bad enough, but TEXTING?  Geez...it is impossible to either read a text message,  or write one, without taking your eyes off the road...period.  It's like being drunk or going to sleep at the wheel.  The charge should be at least Reckless Endangerment.   :soapbox:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »

Not a bad idea...but I see 1 problem.....what happens if a passenger wants to make a call?   The phone is still going more than 10MPH, but the person isn't the one doing the driving....

Not to be a smart azz, but WHO CARES!  We survived for a nearly a hundred years without being able to make calls while in a car, driving or not, and I don't see any pressing need for mere mortals to be "connected" 24/7 now.  If they need to make a call, send a silly tweet, email, or text message, they can have the driver pull over. 

Another good thing about disabling the phone when moving is that the rest of us also wouldn't have to put up with obnoxious loudmouths on trains, buses, and other public conveyances either.  Like that loudmouth woman in the news recently who didn't shut the F up for hours on a train and was eventually hauled off by the cops after intimidating other passengers and the conductor when they complained (it was supposed to be a "quiet car", but we all know how rules are just for the other guys, right?).

If the only thing going on was essential communications that just couldn't wait, maybe this wouldn't be such a hot button issue for me.  But the reality is that the vast majority of the calls, emails, tweets, text messages, and miscellaneous other crap is just that, crap.  And none of it is worth your life, my life, or anyone else's life.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »

Not to be a smart azz, but WHO CARES!  We survived for a nearly a hundred years without being able to make calls while in a car, driving or not, and I don't see any pressing need for mere mortals to be "connected" 24/7 now.  If they need to make a call, send a silly tweet, email, or text message, they can have the driver pull over. 

Another good thing about disabling the phone when moving is that the rest of us also wouldn't have to put up with obnoxious loudmouths on trains, buses, and other public conveyances either.  Like that loudmouth woman in the news recently who didn't shut the F up for hours on a train and was eventually hauled off by the cops after intimidating other passengers and the conductor when they complained (it was supposed to be a "quiet car", but we all know how rules are just for the other guys, right?).

If the only thing going on was essential communications that just couldn't wait, maybe this wouldn't be such a hot button issue for me.  But the reality is that the vast majority of the calls, emails, tweets, text messages, and miscellaneous other crap is just that, crap.  And none of it is worth your life, my life, or anyone else's life.

Jerry

I couldn't agree more.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »

Is it possible that some would actually die if the phone was taken away? :nervous: :nervous:

I've seen one of my patients trying to text while I cut their wisdom teeth out. :D You might be surprised to see how many can't leave the phone alone to get dental work done.

I have a signal that I use when leading  a group that a driver is distracted by the phone. I look at all the people I pass on the road.

As for the girl let them just cut her leg off and let her go. Bet she never repeats.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.