Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stator and Regulator dies again ..7K miles  (Read 937 times)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Stator and Regulator dies again ..7K miles
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »

Ok this is nuts.  I have a 2000 SERG and the original owner changed the stator once.  I bought it at 28K miles and with in two years I am on my second stator and regulator... my Yamaha when 60K with no issues... I would think something a simple and old tech as a Stator and Regulator would be within the realm of something the MOD could do properly.  I have only put 7 K miles on the bike since I got it

If they dont do it right this time, Im getting a new bike this is not reliable
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
Re: Stator and Regulator dies again ..7K miles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:00:59 AM »

Ok this is nuts.  I have a 2000 SERG and the original owner changed the stator once.  I bought it at 28K miles and with in two years I am on my second stator and regulator... my Yamaha when 60K with no issues... I would think something a simple and old tech as a Stator and Regulator would be within the realm of something the MOD could do properly.  I have only put 7 K miles on the bike since I got it

If they dont do it right this time, Im getting a new bike this is not reliable

for what it's worth, years ago on my jap bikes that was always the sign of a bad ground somewhere.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »

YEah that what the dealership said, the battery terminal were loose.. I said what a surprise, you where the last ones to touch the battery..
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »

I've been replacing a stator on my 00 every year, the last one during AZ Bike Week. I've been told its because of the poor seal on the crankcase from the regulator to the stator. This problem was finally fixed in the 2011 models with a four o-ring plug. If water or oil creeps along the wire into the stator it shorts it out. Be real careful when changing the oil filter and that's about all you can do about it. There was a shop bulletin posted somewhere about repositioning the wire on the downtube somehow, but I can't see how that would change anything.  Doc

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »

mine went out on my 00 fltri

my kaw 900 blew a ignition module - i had to take the bike apart, put it in the trunk of a inlaws pontiac and haul it three states away to get the ignition fixed

cost over 300 bux in 1984, plus the gas [and scratched the paint on the tank and had to rebleed the brakes since i had all the wheels and forks off to get it in.......]

we all think everything should last 100k with no service - i had cars that needed points, plugs, condenser & sometimes wires every 3000 miles - or the second oil change. and ive had bikes that would only go 1000 miles before real work - and "servicing" chains were every time it rained or once a week whichever came first

my 00 with the bad cam bearings and the poor stator was the most reliable bike id ever owned, my 07 has been so far simply flawless - no repairs needed after the first 500 miles when they change the rings... just change the oil and put in gas. i assume it will need a crank - but i still have all the trans and crank tools for my 77flh took that engine apart every 12 months....

to

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »

I've been replacing a stator on my 00 every year, the last one during AZ Bike Week. I've been told its because of the poor seal on the crankcase from the regulator to the stator. This problem was finally fixed in the 2011 models with a four o-ring plug. If water or oil creeps along the wire into the stator it shorts it out. Be real careful when changing the oil filter and that's about all you can do about it. There was a shop bulletin posted somewhere about repositioning the wire on the downtube somehow, but I can't see how that would change anything.  Doc

HD did change the seal there Doc.  With that I still never heard of systemic failures with the prior seal.  I did have a 98 Road King that leaked there (oil mist coming out not water or condensate).  Replaced it once and it still did it.  Was too cheap to buy another stator when two still charged so took it apart once more and smeared blue RTV on it.  Never gave another problem while I had that bike.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.