Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone install IPOD unit on 2010 CVO Ultra?  (Read 1457 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Anyone install IPOD unit on 2010 CVO Ultra?
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

I hooked my Ipod up to my radio using the av plug, then went back to the MP3 player on my Zumo and the sound clarity is night and day with the Ipod.  Now i'm considering adding the Ipod unit from Boom Audio.  It appears there has been some issues with this unit?  I was wondering, is it an easy install and is it compatible for a 2010 CVO?  Is there any additional plugs or adapters outside the kit that are needed?  Why can't you run the wire into your lower fairing boxes and velcro an Ipod to the sides or something?  Does the power run from the bikes battery, or does it power from the radio?  Lots of questions, figured I would ask before spending the $$, to big of a pain, i will just plug my Ipod in by using the av plug?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Glenncarp

Re: Anyone install IPOD unit on 2010 CVO Ultra?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but by simply using the Av plug I think you will then have to use the IPOD to control volume, searches etc. Plus you will then have to use a 12V cigarrette plug to charge the IPOD. Using the kit in the saddle bag, all controls are made with hand controls and charging is done with cable. I don't know about you all, but trying to use that circle thingy to raise the volume at 80 MPH is a little too hairy for mw!

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »

I had the dealer install it on mine. Tech there said it was an easy install and it works great. I didn't feel like messing with installing it. All that was involved was the Ipod kit, extension harness, and the saddlebag tether as I wanted mine secure in the saddlebag. I can find the reciept tomorrow and get you the part #s if you want them.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »

I have read all sorts of confusion with 2011 bikes.  As far as the install, I have locking glove box doors on my lower fairings, I could velcro my nano inside the glove box rather than run the cable under the gas tank and seat back to the tour pack or saddle bags.  Especially the saddle bags, one less thing to disconnect before you take them off for a cleaning.  My question is on the install, is there any extra pin wires that you need to buy?  Does the power for the ipod run off the radio or do you need to connect a wire to the battery.  Ease of use using the hand controls.  I installed the HD LED lights on my bike to find out that after paying $500+ for the headlamp, I had to by a $40 Y harness for it to work.  Just a little aggravated with HD nickle and diming you for crap after paying top dollar for thier accessories.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:10 AM »

I have read all sorts of confusion with 2011 bikes.  As far as the install, I have locking glove box doors on my lower fairings, I could velcro my nano inside the glove box rather than run the cable under the gas tank and seat back to the tour pack or saddle bags.  Especially the saddle bags, one less thing to disconnect before you take them off for a cleaning.  My question is on the install, is there any extra pin wires that you need to buy?  Does the power for the ipod run off the radio or do you need to connect a wire to the battery.  Ease of use using the hand controls.  I installed the HD LED lights on my bike to find out that after paying $500+ for the headlamp, I had to by a $40 Y harness for it to work.  Just a little aggravated with HD nickle and diming you for crap after paying top dollar for thier accessories.

I can't answer for the parts you will need to purchase, but I do know on my SESG that the IPOD module draws power from the harness in the fairing and there is no need for any additional wires back to the battery.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »

The installation instructions are in reply 2 of this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=60758.0

The wiring is all inside the fairing; no separate wiring is run to the battery.  There's no extra harness to purchase since you aren't using the tether, and your bike already has a 35 wire connector to the HK radio.

Since your bike has two modules already installed on top of the HK, you'll need to use something else to hold the IPOD module on top of the modules; this is from the installation instructions:

For FLHT/C/U, FLHX and FLHTCUTG models, two Dual-
Lockā„¢ mounts (Part No. 76434-06) may be used to mount the
iPod Interface Module across the tops of the two modules.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:28:38 AM by Harleypingman »

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »

Thanks guys.  The sound clarity and volume is so much better with IPod versus the MP3 play from the Zuma that the only thing really holding me back was the hassle of installation.  I may even velcro my Nano behind the fairing by the headlight where it will stay dry, but you can still reach it by just pulling the headlight out.  I have 1,347 songs on it and as an 8MB unit its filled up anyway so I shouldn't have any reason to have to mess with it?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »

Another back ordered accessory from Harley?  Backordered until 6/27, I ordered online with Surdyke and they gave me a couple of dealers in Michigan that had the unit in stock.  Grand Rapids had one, discounted it $45 bucks and I got it the next day which is today.  Got something to do tonight now, I will attempt to install it even though i am a mechanical idiot!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »

Good luck with your project.  Here's a link to Tyco's instructions for the 35 wire connector on your bike that you'll be working with to replace the seal pins there by inserting new wires; just click on "Instruction Sheets":

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/pn/en/776164-1?RQPN=776164-1

When you unplug that 35 wire connector from the HK, you'll see the large red piece on the end.  That's the wedgelock.  You'll need to "open" it by bending  back the black plastic tabs so you can pull the wedgelock away from the connector an 1/8" or so--don't remove the wedgelock from the connector.  Be careful bending those tabs since they are easy to break; just a slight bend at their tips away from the wedgelock is all that's needed.  IIRC, use a small flat head screw driver to fit between the wedgelock and the connector to get the wedgelock away from the connector; I couldn't do it with just my fingers.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »

:soapbox:Holy CHIT was that a pain in the ass!  It took 3 hours to hook that bitch up!  The pins were tough to get them in right, didn't get sound out of one side.  Biggest pain was getting the fairing back on!  I mounted the unit on top of the CB & XM unit with 2 faced tape.  Very tight fit.  Its on and it works though!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.