Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Open up the pumpkin  (Read 1593 times)

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
Open up the pumpkin
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:57:49 PM »

OK, HD-Dude, Hubbard, DaFixer, et al... can ya help me out?
I've searched and read the threads until my eyes bled, but I can't find the answer...  [smiley=stars.gif]
I want to change to a K&N, maybe Jerry's "Roll yer own" or.. the master tech at my dealer said he had a new washable real K&N he'd swap out of a new SE kit for me; and the SE Pro One slip ons (slash-down or billet$tip$).

[size=14]Now[/size] the part that I ain't sure of... the tech said there was no download for the 103, and I HAD to use the SERT.

I'm just looking for reliable cruising with a little easier breathing, not so loud system. More TQ than HP.  And not looking to spend that extra $460 (msrp), or get a dyno tune  :-/. ("But honey, it's already GOT everything on it")

What's the bottom line here? Am I gettin' [smiley=pirate.gif] ?

Thanks, y'all!
Garzgimmeacarbdammit
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Open up the pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:09:55 PM »

Now the part that I ain't sure of... the tech said there was no download for the 103, and I HAD to use the SERT.

Tech is either wrong or gets a commission of the sale of the Race Tuner and the dyno labor time.  With the exhaust and air cleaner get Stage I cartridge HD part number 32926-03B .  From one of the 20% shops about $120.00.  Way cheaper than the 600-700 dollars you'd have in an RT and dyno bill.  If you just want it "good enough" without worrying that it's dialed in just perfect too it'll be fine.  

My Power Commander crapped out on me on the way home from the east coast to Missouri after Cripple Creek last year.  Stopped at a rest stop to take the the ten minutes to remove it.  Then rode the 700 miles on home on just the Stage I map on a bike with only air cleaner and exhaust.  Yeah, I lost a tiny bit of "snap" in response to the throttle.  But it still ran just fine.  As a side benefit you'll be raising the rev limiter when you load this cartridge too.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »

2lane said it all.....the cartridge will work. You will get better overall perfomance with either the RT or the PCIII but if you not looking for the perfect tune it'll be just fine

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 12:21:14 AM »

There is a download for the 103 motors for both model year Electra Glides (trust me - I had both cartdriges in my hand).

Listen to us, we know what we are doing!  ;)
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:32:18 AM »

Garz,

The configuration you're talking about, SE pipes and air cleaner, is called "Stage 1 Race".  See attachment for download cartridge #:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 09:37:24 AM »

Thanks for the info guys. My dealer told me the same thing. It has kept me from installing pipes because the SERT was not available and I wasn't sure what other route I wanted to go. I'm headed to the dealer right now. Thanks for the ammunition . I love this site [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Hair of the Dog

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:14:47 AM »

You guys are great!  [smiley=2vrolijk_20.gif] (and apparently get little sleep)  Thank you!!!
It's like the fog is lifting... it's a miracle!  I'm starting to understand the 'great mystical EFI secrets'.  With your info I even found an old thread "stage 1 kit available 2nd week in august" from 2004.  I'm just starting to get the terminology together.
So....
  ...this was the "Master Tech" at my dealership and he doesn't know about something that even I am starting to understand...  crap.  CRAP.   And, I bought a "Maintenance plan" from them.?.  [smiley=bomb.gif] Crap.  

I don't really want to, but I've done pipes and stage 1 filters and modified carbs... what's involved in a 'cartridge download'?  Is that something I'd really want to tackle? Not really... I don't have the time or tools or expertise. And what would me doing mods do to the last two months of my 'warranty'?

Crap.  People pay me for my expertise in my field and I expect to pay other people for their expertise in their fields.  I'm not a mechanic (ain't totally  [smiley=duhk.gif] either), and I really want an expert to work on my bike.  Crap.
(Hmmm... I seem to be getting lots of free expertise in FLHRSEI... no complaints there!)

I'm ready to sell the damn bike [smiley=sauer019.gif], screw HD [smiley=hanged.gif], and buy a boat.  A canoe. no motor. no EFI. [smiley=sauer021.gif] NO PHD.[smiley=rifle.gif]

Whew... sorry for the rant. I think somebody chit in my Cheerios!  Hope I didn't ruin anyone else's Saturday.
Thank you all for enlightening me BEFORE I got buggered by the PHD.
I'm goin' out and have my morning cigar.  Have a great day, everyone!  [smiley=sunny.gif]
Garz  [smiley=bigok.gif]
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

The saga continues;  :-?  Called the dealer parts guy, asked if he could see a download for my set up, he says yes. So I got a set of SE slip-ons, and the Big sucker is coming from FR8TRN.  
Take the bike to the dealer Monday, said I want a download. They say OK. :)

Service dept calls me today say there is no download for the 103, have to use SERT.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  I ask for the parts guy armed with info from this forum. The answer: There is no "digital download", it has to be a cartridge, which they are trying to locate, and should have it Thursday.  It is part of HD's EPA compliancy thing and there's limited availability.

Once again, I am stymied by the terminology.  >:(
What is a "Digital Download", vs. a "Cartridge"?  Did I do bad by asking for a "Download"?

Thanks for the help, guys!
Garz   [smiley=smoking.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 03:59:51 PM »

same thing, the deal plug a cartridge into their computer and plug a cable into your bike and download the code
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »

Garznhogs

I basically had what your fixin to install. I was running SE AC with K&N, SE Pro Performance Mufflers, and Stage I cartridge HD part number 32926-03B. I was really surprised what I was getting with this set up. I had my scooter dyno'd before cams and was getting 92HP and 100TQ. I did get some popping upon decel at times, but pretty good numbers for what your investing into. See Ya, God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:22:53 PM »

same thing, the deal plug a cartridge into their computer and plug a cable into your bike and download the code

Ah HAH! That's what I was thinking it was...  So I'm not the dummy I thought I was!  Thanks for the plain-and-simple explanation, Naitram!   :D

and JR makes me feel prettttty good, too:
[highlight]I basically had what your fixin to install. I was running SE AC with K&N, SE Pro Performance Mufflers, and Stage I cartridge HD part number 32926-03B. I was really surprised what I was getting with this set up. I had my scooter dyno'd before cams and was getting 92HP and 100TQ. I did get some popping upon decel at times, but pretty good numbers for what your investing into. See Ya, God Bless![/highlight]

Thanks, all of you guys!  The collective knowledge in this forum is really fantastic.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_20.gif]  The  [smiley=drink.gif] is on me!

Now to see if the dealer can figger it out  [smiley=nervous.gif]  [smiley=duhk.gif]

I got the Big Sucker from FR8TRN today... it'll look hairy on the bike!  [smiley=vampire.gif]

Garz   [smiley=smoking.gif]

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.