Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Broken bolt for floorboard extenders  (Read 1646 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Broken bolt for floorboard extenders
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »

I have to agree with Chain. An old timer taught me that trick years ago. Something about welding to the broken off bolt loosens rust, and frees the bolt up, making it easier to come out. Works really good in cast pieces such as engine blocks as the weld won't stick to the cast. I assume the bolt is in the frame? If so, the welder just needs to make sure he doesn't weld to the frame. Before welding, make sure and have all your tools ready to extract the bolt. Let it cool off just enough to assure a strong weld, then instantly try and remove the broken bolt. Allowing it to cool off too much, and the bolt will be tighter in the hole than it was originally.

I've used this method many many times. It works.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »

I have Tiger blood and Adonis DNA!  I finally did it!  Three days of drilling, 1 broken hardened steel ez-out, 2 broken cobalt bits, and one seriously numb drilling hand... @&$! Bolt!

After the original pilot hole and my failed ez-out fiasco, two days of drilling (well mostly nights after 9) I was about to call it a day. The cobalt bits chewed through the bolt, but were barely marking the hardened steel of the ez-out. Last night I read a post somewhere of somebody who had a similar problem and they used a masonry bit. So for another $3 it couldn't hurt to try.

Well, took over an hour bit the masonry bit finally chewed through the ez-out. Used lots of cutting oil to keep it cool. Alternated between that and the cobalt bits and worked a nice large hole through the bolt. I tried a solid square extractor but stooped when I saw it flex. That bolt was a permanent part of the frame.

So I started working up the cobalt bit ladder and drilled a nice clean hole through. Used a tap and rethreaded the hole, which took quite a while since the primary is right next to the hole and there was no room for the tap tool, so I used a crescent wrench and worked slowly. Finally got it through and got the floorboard on, though the left front inside bolt is really difficult to get to. Couldn't use a socket with a hex bit - had to resort to the allen wrench from the HD tool kit.

Good news is that it is all set now, and I had a bonus of my new Cee Bailey shield arriving today just in time to ride tomorrow!

Thanks for all the suggestions and moral support here!
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »

Good for you Buddy..  I think that everyone that read your posts were just wishing that you would get that bolt out..   So hats off to you and enjoy the weekend.. :2vrolijk_21:

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »

Congratulations on the nice work  :2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 05:52:02 AM »

what a bi%ch......way to go in stickin' with it tho.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:15 AM »

Great news and thanks for sharing this experience here which I'm sure will help someone here either avoiding your mishap or a way out as you found...  Also, welcome to this forum, this place is great and  saved my Azz more than once and im sure more to come........ :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:59:16 AM by cvobiker »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »

I guess this shows that persistence pays off.  I would have welded a piece on the easy out and backed it off.

Good job, glad you got it done, I can imagine it was a very frustrating situation.   :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »

Lesson learned: If a bolt is really hard coming out, it will be the same going back. Tap kit is a keeper and I'll be using it proactively in the future!  I didn't even know what a tap kit was prior to this experience and I had my Road King stripped to the frame at one point!

The extra 15 minutes up front would have saved me HOURS of frustration and cursing lol...
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »

The extra 15 minutes up front would have saved me HOURS of frustration and cursing lol...
[/quote]
A-Men , I also learned my lesson the hard way
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.