Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swapping from S&S back to stock CV, need info  (Read 4050 times)

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
Swapping from S&S back to stock CV, need info
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:11:06 AM »

I'm pulling the S&S Super G and putting the stock carb back on. Being that I don't have the stock parts and I found an original carb and manifold for the bike, can someone tell me what all I'll need to go back to stock? I already picked up a stock A/C cover, minus the correct insert, so I need whatever it takes to get it back to stock form. I want to get a set up that will take care of the oil blow by in the filter that always seems to become an issue, would that be an S/E kit?

Also, any recommendations on what I should do to the carb I picked up? It's a used CV that looks to be in very good shape, but I want to make sure it's in perfect working order before installation. I have the parts book, but dont want to waste my money on stock parts if there is a better set up that will keep the stock look, and give better performance. If anyone happens to know where I can get my hands on one of the FXR3 A/C inserts, let me know.

Thanks for any help, Jon

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 Blue Flame FXR3
Re: Swapping from S&S back to stock CV, need info
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

I unfortunately cannot help you with your issue Jon. I don't know why, but the board seems to be "dead" in recent weeks, with none of the main contributors appearing often. Whether or not life has gotten in the way for any or all of them, we cannot say. I have used forums as well for assistance, whether it comes to bikes or old cars, and the really are a great tool. I wish you luck in your search. However, maybe try using the search function with several different phrases and maybe you can pick up something. Sometimes Google can give you multiple "more from this site" results with a simple search like " FXR3 stock carb CVO Forums" and then click more under the first result.

Tom

omgtkk

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »

OK Johnny,  I'll give this a shot.

You'll need new throttle and idle cables and an air cleaner backing plate and air filter.  Best bets would be the Ness Big Sucker, or a S.E. unit.  The Ness vents the oil blow-by into the carb throat and includes a washable air filter element.

As for what you should do to the CV...I would buy a tuning kit from here:  http://www.cv-performance.com/Products-Tuners_Kits.html
Get a rebuild kit if your o-rings look shabby
Check your accelerator pump for good function and get a rebuild kit for it if needed
Check and adjust your float level as per the service manual

That should do it

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:46 AM »

OK Johnny,  I'll give this a shot.

You'll need new throttle and idle cables and an air cleaner backing plate and air filter.  Best bets would be the Ness Big Sucker, or a S.E. unit.  The Ness vents the oil blow-by into the carb throat and includes a washable air filter element.

As for what you should do to the CV...I would buy a tuning kit from here:  http://www.cv-performance.com/Products-Tuners_Kits.html
Get a rebuild kit if your o-rings look shabby
Check your accelerator pump for good function and get a rebuild kit for it if needed
Check and adjust your float level as per the service manual

That should do it
I have been doing some research and your suggestions are exactly what I plan to do. Just ordered the performance and rebuild kits from cv-performance, and am ordering the Ness big sucker tomorrow. Can't decide if I should spend the extra money on one with the chrome back plate or just go with the plain. Will I even be able to see it behind the stock 8" round cover? Any idea what jetting to go with? I have a mild cam, polished/ported heads, and will be installing Python 3 exhaust. Thanks for the suggestions!

omgtkk

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »

When you order the kit from CV performance they will have jetting suggestions. It will say 46/185 and they will include othere jets also. 

I would strongly recommend getting a new packing kit for the idle mix adjustment screw.  When you rebuild the carb you should remove the Idle mix adjustment screw and clean it's passage very well.  There is a very tiny o-ring in there and if it gets buggered up you'll have trouble getting the low end to smooth out.  I ordered the EZ-just mixture screw and am glad I did.  I can reach under there and adjust the idle mix by hand when stopped at a light.  That made dialing in the carb a lot easier.

I have the big sucker on my FXR2 with an Andrews EV13 and Kromewerks slip-ons.  No head work.  You can only see the part of the backing plate that is under the breather bolts

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »

When you order the kit from CV performance they will have jetting suggestions. It will say 46/185 and they will include othere jets also. 

I would strongly recommend getting a new packing kit for the idle mix adjustment screw.  When you rebuild the carb you should remove the Idle mix adjustment screw and clean it's passage very well.  There is a very tiny o-ring in there and if it gets buggered up you'll have trouble getting the low end to smooth out.  I ordered the EZ-just mixture screw and am glad I did.  I can reach under there and adjust the idle mix by hand when stopped at a light.  That made dialing in the carb a lot easier.

I have the big sucker on my FXR2 with an Andrews EV13 and Kromewerks slip-ons.  No head work.  You can only see the part of the backing plate that is under the breather bolts

I went back and forth on the EZ-just mixture screw and didn't order it, but now that you told me about it, I went ahead and ordered it and that packing kit. Looks like I'll pass on the chrome backing plate, I figured as much.

thanks again!

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:46:18 AM »

Ok, with work, and waiting for parts to show, so far I have the S&S carb and manifold removed. Anyone have an idea of what this set up is worth on the used market? The whole package is in excellent shape, and all that a guy would need is a couple new o-rings for re-install purposes. It's the whole package, carb, manifold, and teardrop cover with washable filter.

Oh, one other thing, omgtkk mentioned I would need new cables; any reason why? The cables appear to be the stock cables and work fine. Does S&S require a different cable for their carbs, that won't work with the CV?

Thanks!

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »

Jonny D,

Have you completed your CV carb swap?  If so, do you notice any differences between the CV carb w/ re-jet kit vs. the S&S carb ("Super E" - I'm assuming), i.e., throttle response in each or any of the low, mid and high rpm ranges?   Better, worse, no change?   
Also, any change in gas mileage -- maybe you gained or lost a couple of mpg's?  Any other noticeable differences in start up, spitting, smoothness, tunability, etc.? 

Regards.

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »

Jonny D,

Have you completed your CV carb swap?  If so, do you notice any differences between the CV carb w/ re-jet kit vs. the S&S carb ("Super E" - I'm assuming), i.e., throttle response in each or any of the low, mid and high rpm ranges?   Better, worse, no change?   
Also, any change in gas mileage -- maybe you gained or lost a couple of mpg's?  Any other noticeable differences in start up, spitting, smoothness, tunability, etc.? 

Regards.
Just finished the swap, and got it all back together and tuned yesterday. Had to wait for new cables, then went on a road trip to Colorado for 10 days. But to answer your questions; tuning was a piece of cake, and the bike fired right up after install. I went with a performance kit from CV-Performance and it was a very easy install and has a few different size jets for choices. Their recommendations were spot on, so far.

The bike runs great and has no flat spots, and pulls great. Haven't had a chance to run it much, so no idea on mileage effects. FYI, I replaced an S&S super G.

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 25 queries.