Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New style cam chain tensioners  (Read 987 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
New style cam chain tensioners
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »

I was just wondering about the durability of the new cam chain tensioners. I was wondering if the guys that changed their cams have noticed any considereable wear on the new style tensioners and at what mileage, and has anyone had to replace them? Thanks in advance. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
Re: New style cam chain tensioners
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=62551.0;topicseen

Try this short thread.  Some have been changed at various mileage - the new style seems to hang on a little longer than the older style.  Still seems to be a maint. item at 12,000 plus miles.  If you are in the cam chest, just change them and be good till the next time.  Pretty lame that these are still a "maintenance item" after all these years, but that's "Mother Harley"

If you have the runout spec. (<.003) do the Andrews gear drive and be done forever!  Takes all the guess-work out of the equation.
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: New style cam chain tensioners
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:55:27 AM »

BillH, Thanks fo the reply. By the look of the other thread I must have asked this question before. I am still only at 9K miles on my 09SEUC because I ride my 95 Heritage with S&S107 locally. I think by the time I get enough miles to wear out the original cam chain tensioner my 7 year warranty will have expired. I will definitely go to gear drives if I have acceptable runout, and also switch out to andrews 54 cams and Fulsac stage 2 fuel map. Sounds like you got a good one at only .002. Thanks again for the response. CAHDBIKER

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=62551.0;topicseen

Try this short thread.  Some have been changed at various mileage - the new style seems to hang on a little longer than the older style.  Still seems to be a maint. item at 12,000 plus miles.  If you are in the cam chest, just change them and be good till the next time.  Pretty lame that these are still a "maintenance item" after all these years, but that's "Mother Harley"

If you have the runout spec. (<.003) do the Andrews gear drive and be done forever!  Takes all the guess-work out of the equation.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.