Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something you might want to check  (Read 1596 times)

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Something you might want to check
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:16:12 AM »

I've been getting the bike ready for the last nice trip of the season (for MI anyway) and have noticed something you might want to check.

I had the front fairing off looking for an issue with the speaker, found a large ground wire broke off where it attaches to the neck.  With the forks turned to the left, look behind the wires to the right of the center line at the neck.  There was a screw holding a terminal.  My terminal had no wire in it, made me wonder and looked around and found a large wire that had broke off at the connector.  I don't know what it does, nothing seemed to not work on the bike, figured it was grounding through another path, but repaired the wiring anyway.

Just thought some folks might like to know to check.

Brad   :huepfenjump3:

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
Re: Something you might want to check
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 03:46:39 PM »

I've been getting the bike ready for the last nice trip of the season (for MI anyway) and have noticed something you might want to check.

I had the front fairing off looking for an issue with the speaker, found a large ground wire broke off where it attaches to the neck.  With the forks turned to the left, look behind the wires to the right of the center line at the neck.  There was a screw holding a terminal.  My terminal had no wire in it, made me wonder and looked around and found a large wire that had broke off at the connector.  I don't know what it does, nothing seemed to not work on the bike, figured it was grounding through another path, but repaired the wiring anyway.

Just thought some folks might like to know to check.

Brad   :huepfenjump3:

thanks for posting

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »

Did you notice any static or other odd audio anomolies?

Gonna check my bike tongiht!

:)
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »

I didn't notice anything different either before or after I repaired the wire.  I really don't know what it should do.

:nixweiss:

Brad

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »

I didn't notice anything different either before or after I repaired the wire.  I really don't know what it should do.

:nixweiss:

Brad

This wire provides a clean chassis ground for the front and of the machine. Without this the ground path becomes unpredictable and may be through the steering head bearings or other circuitry if the head bearings don’t provide a clean path.

I have seen machines with this condition exhibit some static through the speakers. To check for this, get the front wheel off the ground, turn the radio on and move the handlebars from lock to lock. If this ground wire is broken you may hear some static when the front end is turned.

I believe that this wire connection to the steering head is visible with the outer fairing in place, looking from the rear on the left side of the machine.

djkak

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.