Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol?  (Read 1084 times)

ironpony

• Ironpony
  • 2011 Soft tail convertivble CVO

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
Ethanol vs. non-ethanol?
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »

Today I filled up the tank of my FLSTSE2 CVO with a non- ethanol 90 octaine gas from the local Marathon station... Everyone has been saying to use non-ethanol, so I thought I would give it a try ... WELL, the results were imediate and very interesting .... I noticed several developments ...first, during idle the engine would shift to the fast "tick tick tic" that I am told is using only one cylnder .... second, I experienced back fire each time I let off on the thortle and gear down .... one or two "pops" each time ...

It seemed that the "throtle up" and performance was a little quicker ...however, we all know that is often subjective with the "street" driving that we do ... in any case, I am not sure what to make of all this ... could use some "counsel" from some of you experts on this ...Do I continue to use non-ethanol, and expereice the "back fires" or do I go back to using 93 octaine "high test" with ethanol?  regards, ben
Retired Army Colonel .. former Medevac pilot ... now fly a 2004 Cirrus SR-22G2 and ride a 2011 Softail convertible CVO ... Pony up!

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:28:47 AM »

Mine pops all the time whatever octane fuel I put in the tank

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:59 AM »

Change the exhaust and put on tuner on it.  The factory settings are way too lean.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »

x2
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

Ben,

The short answer is for the most part it doesn't matter if you use your bike on a regular basis.  FI vehilcles tolerate ethanol gas very well because when the bike is not running the injectors are closed but there is still pressure in the system.  So that fuel in the injector is not exposed to the atmosphere.  With the old fashioned carbs that fuel left in the bowl is always open to the outside air and that's were all the problems start.  Gas with ethanol has a short storage life.  When left in a can in your garage it can start to go bad in as little as a month.  Run gas with ethanol all you want, but when it comes time to store your bike I would want non-ethanol gas in my tank.  In Milwaukee we cannot buy anything but ethanol gas!  It sucks to not even have a choice. 

ironpony

• Ironpony
  • 2011 Soft tail convertivble CVO

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »

2 Smoke... Thanks for the reply ...good counsel and especially good advise for my boat ... unfortunately, gas "sits" in that tank for a long time ...I learned something ... thanks again, ben
Retired Army Colonel .. former Medevac pilot ... now fly a 2004 Cirrus SR-22G2 and ride a 2011 Softail convertible CVO ... Pony up!

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 25 queries.