Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD bagger wins  (Read 1071 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: HD bagger wins
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »

Lining up a Harley against two Japanese bikes??? wouldn't of expected anything less   :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

Not so sure I agree with their new definition of a "bagger", which conveniently throws out the Goldwing and Ultra from this comparison.  I also wonder where the BMW "bagger" is, or the Honda ST1300.  Oh, that's right, they further limited the field with the V-Twin part of their new "bagger" definition.

When you're trying to sell magazines (and advertising), I guess you look at your target readership and slant your content.  But this sort of "test" is like having a pony car comparo but only including brand names that start with the letter C so you don't offend your Chevy and Chrysler readers when a car with a brand name starting with F blows them out of the water.

I wonder why they didn't include the Softail Convertible?  Saddlebags, no tour pak, windshield, V-Twin.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »

The bike rags almost universally suck anymore.  Embarassingly poor writing too much of the time.  Kowtowing to advertisers with obvious bias in reviews and methodologies that wouldn't pass muster in a fifth grade science lab.  All the subscription fees saved goes to beer money :drink: .

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »

The bike rags almost universally suck anymore.  Embarassingly poor writing too much of the time.  Kowtowing to advertisers with obvious bias in reviews and methodologies that wouldn't pass muster in a fifth grade science lab.  All the subscription fees saved goes to beer money :drink: .

I'm down to ''Cycle World'' as my only bike subscription.  And if long time friend Peter Egan didn't write for them, I'd likely not even maintain that one.

Most articles in the average biker magazine are no more than marketing press for suppliers who advertise in their magazines.  Virtually nothing worth the time...   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »

Guess they are making a distinction these days between what they define as a "Bagger", and a "Touring Bike".  It's a shame they didn't get to include the equivalent Victory, though I'm not sure the results would have been any different.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Half_Crazy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »

Guess they are making a distinction these days between what they define as a "Bagger", and a "Touring Bike".  It's a shame they didn't get to include the equivalent Victory, though I'm not sure the results would have been any different.

Could go either way, depending on who the reviewers are.

The Victory Cross-Dressers are LONG and the rake is 29 degrees. In tight manuvers and u-turns the Harley is easier to ride being 4" shorter and having 26 degrees of rake. The Harley is just more compact. The Victory is usually touted as better in the twisties or at speeds above 15 mph. The Victory has a lower seat and a couple inches more suspension travel than the others in this class. Cross bikes usually come in at 80-84 HP and 96-102 TQ. The Harley shakes at idle and the Vic shakes harder the harder you rev it.

I have seen reviews where the HD was voted best (Cycle World & Motorcyclist) and others where the Victory received higher marks (Motorcycle Online & Moto-USA).

No tellin' how they will rate them when it comes to the subjective part.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »

Oh, and that Yamaha 113" motor is LONG stroke and one torquey SOB...

Rode one of those Stratoliners for 600 miles. Great motor, so-so chassis/suspension/brakes, bags are kinda cheesy. This was before the faired model... it was like a Road King with a big motor on it. You sit "on it" not "in it". Cornering clearance was better than I expected. Sounded great with drag pipes on it but the rev limiter at the time was 5200 RPM and came up quick. Price was within $1800 of the Harley...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:16:20 PM by Half_Crazy »

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »

What kind of crack was that first guy smokin? He said he would buy the Harley, that's good, but "the stock exhaust sounds Bad-Ass it doesn't even need pipes". Give me a break!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »

No Victorys  :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.