Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Serk Springs a Leak X2  (Read 3166 times)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
Another Serk Springs a Leak X2
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:10:47 PM »

Since  reading all of the rear cylinder gasket leaks some months ago, I have been monitoring mine after every ride, having been convinced that it was going to happen, eventually. Well this morning prior to short day trip, I found a small area of discoloration at the rear cylinder exactly where I'd seen in the pictures someone else had posted. Stopped during the afternoon for a break and noticed oil spot on the right side bag, pipes and as far forward as the front push-rod tubes.
There wasn't a lot of oil, more like there had been a slight spray or drip that was blown in tiny specks by the force of the wind. Checked the A/C cover for oil - none.  Later just before heading home, I noticed oil on the other side pipes and bags - left side. I found an area  at the left side base of the front cylinder where the oil seems to be coming from and how it's getting down both sides of the bike is a puzzle to me. The rear cylinder gasket leak does not seem to be doing anything but staining the fin at this point. Dropped the bike at the dealer just at closing time so I  haven't a chance to talk to the techs yet.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Another Serk Springs a Leak X2
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 12:34:43 AM »

Since  reading all of the rear cylinder gasket leaks some months ago, I have been monitoring mine after every ride, having been convinced that it was going to happen, eventually. Well this morning prior to short day trip, I found a small area of discoloration at the rear cylinder exactly where I'd seen in the pictures someone else had posted. Stopped during the afternoon for a break and noticed oil spot on the right side bag, pipes and as far forward as the front push-rod tubes.
There wasn't a lot of oil, more like there had been a slight spray or drip that was blown in tiny specks by the force of the wind. Checked the A/C cover for oil - none.  Later just before heading home, I noticed oil on the other side pipes and bags - left side. I found an area  at the left side base of the front cylinder where the oil seems to be coming from and how it's getting down both sides of the bike is a puzzle to me. The rear cylinder gasket leak does not seem to be doing anything but staining the fin at this point. Dropped the bike at the dealer just at closing time so I  haven't a chance to talk to the techs yet.

How many miles do you have on your bike?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 12:51:35 AM »

Almost 9000. Been babied mostly due to anticipated problems.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:44:06 AM »

Since  reading all of the rear cylinder gasket leaks some months ago, I have been monitoring mine after every ride, having been convinced that it was going to happen, eventually. Well this morning prior to short day trip, I found a small area of discoloration at the rear cylinder exactly where I'd seen in the pictures someone else had posted. Stopped during the afternoon for a break and noticed oil spot on the right side bag, pipes and as far forward as the front push-rod tubes. There wasn't a lot of oil, more like there had been a slight spray or drip that was blown in tiny specks by the force of the wind. Checked the A/C cover for oil - none.  Later just before heading home, I noticed oil on the other side pipes and bags - left side. I found an area  at the left side base of the front cylinder where the oil seems to be coming from and how it's getting down both sides of the bike is a puzzle to me. The rear cylinder gasket leak does not seem to be doing anything but staining the fin at this point. Dropped the bike at the dealer just at closing time so I  haven't a chance to talk to the techs yet.

Unless I missed it, no one else has posted seeing oil anywhere else besides the rear cylinder fins and eventually a drip on the chrome tranny cover and seepage at the base of the reat cylinder.  (Due to the rear head gasket leak)
I think you have another leak possibly.  Maybe the front is leaking and going out to either side. 
 :nixweiss:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 11:48:41 PM »

Yeah, your right. It's leaking from the seal at the front cylinder base at the left side. And also showing signs of a deteriorating rear head gasket. Will problems areas on these 110 never quit? Maybe on the upside, I can get them to find out where the miss at idle is being generated.  >:(

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:44:35 AM »

Yeah, your right. It's leaking from the seal at the front cylinder base at the left side. And also showing signs of a deteriorating rear head gasket. Will problems areas on these 110 never quit? Maybe on the upside, I can get them to find out where the miss at idle is being generated.  >:(

Sorry to hear.  With oil in places it shouldn't be due to the leaks, there could be oil fouled plugs, sensors etc.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 06:57:54 PM »

I'm now thinking that the best way to ride these 110's is WFO ( or more commonly known as the HOIST method). That way you'd  know sooner if your going to have problems and  you create them earlier, change motors and be on your way.  :'( No word from the dealer yet on what's wrong with it. It's a shame when you end up hoping the problem is  significant enough to require an engine replacement. I guess that buy purchasing their premier models you rate more HD service, over and over again.  >:(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »

I'm now thinking that the best way to ride these 110's is WFO ( or more commonly known as the HOIST method). That way you'd  know sooner if your going to have problems and  you create them earlier, change motors and be on your way.  :'( No word from the dealer yet on what's wrong with it. It's a shame when you end up hoping the problem is  significant enough to require an engine replacement. I guess that buy purchasing their premier models you rate more HD service, over and over again.  >:(

Sorry to hear it Serkus! This is becoming a recurring nightmare. Like Groundhog Day! :nixweiss:

This is why I'm going the completely rebuilt engine route, and not relying on HD for anything. I rode it hard, it can't take it, and now it's time to get rid of this stock 110! That is the only solution I've come up with. Too bad you can't simply change motors. HD are the only cases you can use today. But tha'ts all that'll be left of my HD 110!

Good luck with yours. It's tough to bite the bullet to abandon HD and take care of it yourself. But it's like beating your head against the wall. :wall: It feels good when you stop! :smilie_staub:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gunn Runner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »

Same here.......base of cylinder started weeping oil around 4,500 miles.....rear cylinder head gasket leak started around 7,000 miles........spots of oil showed up on tranny cover while in Maggie Valley CVO Rally......in shop today and waiting on report from service department for required repairs......front cylinder had no signs of oil leakage......aaaaaahhhhhh the joys of HD 110 ownership ! ::)
Gunn Runner

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 01:45:55 AM »

Still no word from the dealer regarding gasket, oil leak problems an persistant miss at idle. Too much to ask I guess, they probably think they have all winter to fix it anyway. WTF I'm only the guy that bought it.  :'(  Great looking bike though, love the color and the ride ( minus the noise).

Gunn Runner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 04:02:26 PM »

Hey Serkus....both cylinders now reported as leakers.....front base and back base/head gaskets......awaiting more details from HD reps as to extent of repairs required......minimum new seals and gaskets, and maybe a jug or 2.  IF it happens again after these repairs...we all need to load up and go to Kendal Johnson in Winstyon Salem, NC and let him pull the 110s and put 126s underneath the beast ! :orange:
Gunn Runner

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »

Hey Serkus....both cylinders now reported as leakers.....front base and back base/head gaskets......awaiting more details from HD reps as to extent of repairs required......minimum new seals and gaskets, and maybe a jug or 2.  IF it happens again after these repairs...we all need to load up and go to Kendal Johnson in Winstyon Salem, NC and let him pull the 110s and put 126s underneath the beast ! :orange:
Do you have more info on 126? Inquiring minds. Just in case.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 10:47:15 AM »

Sorry guys. There are no other engines but HD and Jims that will install in an '07/'08! :o

Your only option is to use the stock cases, and build a new motor from it. Believe me, I've researched ALL options! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.