Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin 665 XM question  (Read 1007 times)

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
Garmin 665 XM question
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »

Thinking about upgrading GPS and going with 665 b/c of XM built in, then I can also use in car. Not just pinned to bike like stock XM unit. Also stock XM reception sucks in my area, I've moved antenna on top of dash pad for improved reception. Still not the greatest and I'm not gonna get that butt plug antenna. So...anyone who has 665, how is XM compared to HK. And is there an antenna for GPS or is it like a regular car one?

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Garmin 665 XM question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:03 AM »

Well I had both....when I had the indash box Xm I bought a better xm antenna from Tss radio out of chicago with a new connector and it worked great but I put the antenna on the ledge of the inner faring at the windshield.

Now I have the Zumo 665 which has more features.. Harley has an Intergrated NIM harness that just came out to intergrate with radio there is a new part number which is posted the part number ends with 11a... 150 bucks ......I alot of us  were having issues with the old wiring harness so far I am reading the guys that have it are saying its working
if you purchase the 665 you will get xm,mp3,doppler weather and traffic  and car kit   I use all the features...... when you use it in your car you will only be able to use the Nav no weather because you would need to buy another gx40 antenna which is 240 dollars

good luck
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »

I bought a better xm antenna from Tss radio out of chicago with a new connector. do you know which one, there are a lot of different ones on there.

when you use it in your car you will only be able to use the Nav no weather because you would need to buy another gx40 antenna which is 240 dollarsdoes that antenna also provide signal to xm? Reason I ask is that I'll go with 660 if there's a separate antenna as I already have xm module, I'll just get a better antenna for bike. If it doesn't use separate antenna for xm then I'll go with 665

good luck

thanks

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »

never mind I found out the antenna is needed for xm, but if you remember which one was an improvement over the stock?

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

www.tss-radio.com   these guys  have a special connector that goes into your module for your after market antenna give them a call you will lose that typical connector and have a more solid connection and stronger antenna the connector is a 45% to accept the antenna
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »

thanks, did you go with the cone? wondering if i put that in fairing if it would be better than stock one thats on dash pad now...

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »

no just a heavy duty antenna it will work
 through the fairing
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »

I went on the XM web page, antennas section and bought the one listed there for motorcycles.  Mounted it on a piece of black metal stock, about 3 inches long on my right mirror, VERY clean install and the reception is fantastic.  Where I use to loose it now is just down to 2 bars, still loose it sometimes, but MUCH better.... now I enjoy having it.   XM from the HK.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 25 queries.