Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 1853 times)

Canman

Suspension
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

Is it my imagination or are the shocks stiffer on the 2011 Street Glide than on my 06 Ultra. The SG hits bumps hard. I dialed the back shocks but it still is a rough ride. The thing is still new will it get better?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:51:15 AM »

The Street Glide will never be as "cush" as the Ultra Classic.......apples and oranges.  The Street Glide sits lower and has shorter shocks.  A stiffer rides is one of the reasons it handles so much better.....kind of like a sports car. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JT OZY

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:33:32 AM »

Is it my imagination or are the shocks stiffer on the 2011 Street Glide than on my 06 Ultra. The SG hits bumps hard. I dialed the back shocks but it still is a rough ride. The thing is still new will it get better?
Its not your imagination Canman,its just as JZ says they ride a bit rougher but they handle a hole lot better when ridden a little enthusiastically and I'll take the firm ride for better handling any day.Enjoy it.
I intend to ride for ever
So far so good

jcd520

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »

Answer to your second question-----------yes they will get a little smoother after some miles , but still will be what I would call  "firm". Personally I love them and as stated by others above-------no comparison in the handling .

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »

I'm going to wade in on this one.  The SESG is going to be somewhat firmer because the springs in either the shocks or the forks are already compressed to some extent because of the sag of the bike's weight, and it's 1" shorter to begin with, so gets into the "firm" part of the spring more quickly.  That does not mean it reacts appropriately to the road surface.  You have less travel on the suspension on an SG compared to an Ultra.  Firmer is NOT necessarily better...it's more about how the suspension reacts to the road surface under any given situation.  It is entirely possible to have a quality suspension on either model, but stock is not going to get it on either one.  I have not felt the ride on the new SESG rear shocks, but the front end is still a piece of chit, comparitively.  If you don't know any different, all is well.  But, you can get a nice handling bike out of either configuration...with the right stuff.  I am not dissing the SESG compared to the UC, or visa versa, I'm just saying that compared to a really good suspension, both of them suck.  the SESG may suck less in some ways, and the UC in others...neither has to suck at all.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

I'm going to wade in on this one.  The SESG is going to be somewhat firmer because the springs in either the shocks or the forks are already compressed to some extent because of the sag of the bike's weight, and it's 1" shorter to begin with, so gets into the "firm" part of the spring more quickly.  That does not mean it reacts appropriately to the road surface.  You have less travel on the suspension on an SG compared to an Ultra.  Firmer is NOT necessarily better...it's more about how the suspension reacts to the road surface under any given situation.  It is entirely possible to have a quality suspension on either model, but stock is not going to get it on either one.  I have not felt the ride on the new SESG rear shocks, but the front end is still a piece of chit, comparitively.  If you don't know any different, all is well.  But, you can get a nice handling bike out of either configuration...with the right stuff.  I am not dissing the SESG compared to the UC, or visa versa, I'm just saying that compared to a really good suspension, both of them suck.  the SESG may suck less in some ways, and the UC in others...neither has to suck at all.

Ohh but it is much better!  But that's O.K......we understand your denial. :zroflmao:

On the serious side.....this is by far the best suspension of any Harley I've owned including my Ultra Classics.  And this SESG rear shock system is way better than the Progressive 440HD that were on my SEEG.....that I thought was the ticket at the time. 

But I hear what you're saying Terry....neither of these are "the ultimate" suspension system that is possible.....provided I want to bring the bank with me. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »

Ohh but it is much better!  But that's O.K......we understand your denial. :zroflmao:

On the serious side.....this is by far the best suspension of any Harley I've owned including my Ultra Classics.  And this SESG rear shock system is way better than the Progressive 440HD that were on my SEEG.....that I thought was the ticket at the time. 

But I hear what you're saying Terry....neither of these are "the ultimate" suspension system that is possible.....provided I want to bring the bank with me. :2vrolijk_21:

Going a little off topic JC, but haven't you been bringing the bank everywhere that bike has gone by now :huepfenlol2:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

Going a little off topic JC, but haven't you been bringing the bank everywhere that bike has gone by now :huepfenlol2:

Well, I either had to bring the bank................or sell my soul. :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »

I think the light weight of the bike compared to the UC makes it bumpier too. I put my SEUC suspension (13" Bitubos & Traxxion Dynamics forks) on my SG and the ride was much rougher than when it was on my UC. This was after I made adjustments to preload, rebound & compression.   

MrEd

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »

I think the light weight of the bike compared to the UC makes it bumpier too. I put my SEUC suspension (13" Bitubos & Traxxion Dynamics forks) on my SG and the ride was much rougher than when it was on my UC. This was after I made adjustments to preload, rebound & compression.   

Interesting....so that begs the question....as I was directing a friend to do that exact upgrade to his 2011 SG.....what would be the best upgrade to his suspension then ???  I thought the Traxxion AK20's were a no brainer and that BiTubo would be the very best for the rear.  Opinions ???

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »

Interesting....so that begs the question....as I was directing a friend to do that exact upgrade to his 2011 SG.....what would be the best upgrade to his suspension then ???  I thought the Traxxion AK20's were a no brainer and that BiTubo would be the very best for the rear.  Opinions ???

Bear in mind that the AK-20's are set up according to the weight of the bike, rider, how you ride, whether 2 up, loaded, etc.  It is not a "one size fits all" suspension.  The spring selection in the forks is not based on "it's a Harley Davidson".  The forks are somewhat adjustable by turning the top cap star adjusters, but there is a limit to what they will do based on the spring, and small (1/4 turn) adjustments can make a difference.  I'm not saying that I know for sure that the two springs are different, but it is likely.

Whether the Bitubo's spring is different between an SEUC and a SESG...I don't know for sure about that one, but it is entirely possible.  There is nearly 100 lbs difference between the two bikes in stock trim.  In addition, the tire size is way different.  A low profile tire will never provide the same ride quality as a "normal" profile.  The 19" front on a SESG is a low profile tire, as is the rear 18", compared to the 17" front and 16" rear on the SEUC.  All those things add up to rather significant differences.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 Razor Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Mist
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »

A low profile tire will never provide the same ride quality as a "normal" profile.  The 19" front on a SESG is a low profile tire, as is the rear 18", compared to the 17" front and 16" rear on the SEUC.  All those things add up to rather significant differences.

Well said...I knew that...but for some reason I forgot about it....must be age  ???

So if I understood it right...the Traxxion AK20's and BiTubo's "would" be a good upgrade if they were purchased specifically for the StreetGlide...just not as drastic as on the Ultra as they are handicapped by the low profile tires ?

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.