Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bent wheel on chuckhole! Could anything else have been damaged?  (Read 930 times)

DennisG

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2

Hi all,

I have 2011 CVO Streeglide.  Went across some metal plates on the road, but they were apparently poorly placed because i hit some kind of hole and the bike jumped like a bucking bronco.

Several days later, lost air from tire. Filled it and it held but then lost it again.  Took it to dealer for tire but when he went to put tire on, he discovered bent wheel.  We replaced both but now I am thinking it had kind of a slow wobble at speed.  I am taking it back in a couple days  for further assessment and I have notified my insurance company. 

Is there anything that I should have them check?  Forks tweaked in triple clamps?  Obviously, I will have them look at rear wheel as well. Is there any way to check alignment of rear wheel and front? 

Thanks

Dennis
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond with Crimson graphics
Wood 8 cams, 58mm TB, Hillside heads, (Changed to R&R cast heads, went from 115 hp 113 tq to 125 hp 124.73 tq)  D&D Bosscat Wrapped performance baffle, awesome sound!
Harley LED headlights and passing lamps
Focal spkrs and Arc Audio amp
Wild One Chubby bars 0575

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Bent wheel on chuckhole! Could anything else have been damaged?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »

Dennis,

They can check alignment at the dealers.  Most of the shops locally here have a laser tool to check alignment.   I had the dealer check the alignment on our 04 pumpkin because it had a wobble, while trying to find the problem we replaced all the heim joints, motor mounts, bushings, steering head bearings etc.  Turned out to be a bent front wheel.   Hope its just the steering head needing adjustment for you.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DennisG

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »

Thanks Harry,

I talked to Southeast Harley and they had nothing to check alignment as far as lasers go or anything.  I am supposed to take it to Century Harley tomorrow for assessment, but I don;t know if they have anything either.  We'll see.  Maybe I need to go to a good indy shop.

Dennis
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond with Crimson graphics
Wood 8 cams, 58mm TB, Hillside heads, (Changed to R&R cast heads, went from 115 hp 113 tq to 125 hp 124.73 tq)  D&D Bosscat Wrapped performance baffle, awesome sound!
Harley LED headlights and passing lamps
Focal spkrs and Arc Audio amp
Wild One Chubby bars 0575

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »

Thanks Harry,

I talked to Southeast Harley and they had nothing to check alignment as far as lasers go or anything.  I am supposed to take it to Century Harley tomorrow for assessment, but I don;t know if they have anything either.  We'll see.  Maybe I need to go to a good indy shop.

Dennis

I'd get on the phone and call around to the various dealers and Indy shops.  It shouldn't take to many calls to find a shop with laser alignment capabilities...   
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »

Plates are the devil's invention and I feel your pain. Where were/are the ones you hit? FWIW, my first phone call would be to the City Engineer's office to file a claim. Good luck @ Century. Not sure if they have an alignment set up or not.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.