Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How Long Do Starters Last???  (Read 5416 times)

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
Re: How Long Do Starters Last???
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »

Steve, I have replaced the starter on my '02 FLSTS twice.  The original starter lasted about 20k miles.  At 22k, I had the jugs replaced with a 95" set.  Also installed 10.25 high compression pistons and 211 cams at the same time.  I soon realized all this extra hp and compression would eat up H-D's stock starters.  I replaced the second starter with a heavy duty one from H-D.  It is still on the bike and working just fine at 47k miles.  As with anything from H-D, the heavy duty starter isn't cheap.  I believe it was around $600.00 installed!  That's still cheaper than replacing the stock starter more often.  You may be experiencing the same thing with your wife's Deluxe since you increased the c.i.'s.
Rock   
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 03:05:42 AM »

Steve, I have replaced the starter on my '02 FLSTS twice.  The original starter lasted about 20k miles.  At 22k, I had the jugs replaced with a 95" set.  Also installed 10.25 high compression pistons and 211 cams at the same time.  I soon realized all this extra hp and compression would eat up H-D's stock starters.  I replaced the second starter with a heavy duty one from H-D.  It is still on the bike and working just fine at 47k miles.  As with anything from H-D, the heavy duty starter isn't cheap.  I believe it was around $600.00 installed!  That's still cheaper than replacing the stock starter more often.  You may be experiencing the same thing with your wife's Deluxe since you increased the c.i.'s.
Rock   

Rock, I've repaired the one from my 03 SERK which is the high performance one so I may use it on hers.  You're correct, they aren't cheap, I think about $400 retail for the starter plus the installation (I do my own when I can--luckily I've been able to get it home to do, so far)   I'm thinking about maybe even buying a new one for hers, but I had my old one all apart and everything's fine, just needed the clutch installed, but it's still got 60,000 miles of starts on the motor part.
Steve

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 09:28:23 PM »

My starter had to be replaced at around 30K on my 08 CUSE.  Dealer put in the SE comp, new starter, clutch basket....never started that good even when new.  Has been perfect since...no more kickbacks, grinding, or other odd noise.  I DID have a compression release failure PRIOR to the starter issues that may have contributed to the starter's demise.  But there is no question that MOCO agrees that the SE comp was needed (and now even a revision to it!)
T

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »

No...  2007 was the first year for the optional SE Compensator.  The springs in yours could be weakened.  You can replace springs or you can replace the entire compensator with another stock compensator..

Still haven't had time to pull it apart yet but I imagine I'll replace either the springs or all, just need to take a look at it before deciding.
Steve

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »

I do wonder how the compensator causes starting problems.  Doesn't the engine get it's feedback on the piston position from the crankshaft position sensor?  If it does, I don't see how the compensator being worn or loose could cause the engine to try starting at the wrong point in the cycle. IE: firing too soon.  I'm probably just not thinking of everything but I don't see how that affects it.  If it sensed off of the ring gear part, I could understand, but it doesn't.
Steve
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.