Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legend Air Suspension Handlbar Switch on 2012 FLHXSE3  (Read 2940 times)

lammgrel

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
Legend Air Suspension Handlbar Switch on 2012 FLHXSE3
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

Has anyone installed the Legend Air Suspension (FL708) handlebar switch on models with the hydraulic clutch master cylinder?  I haven't started the install of my Legend Air suspension yet, but I was looking at the handlebar switch and am concerned that it may not fit with the hydraulic clutch master cylinder.

Thanks,
Greg
Legend Air Suspension, Jackpot Exhaust, Fullsack 2.25" Cores, K&N High Flow Air Filter
SE Race Tuner, Windsplitter Windshield

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Legend Air Suspension Handlbar Switch on 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »

Has anyone installed the Legend Air Suspension (FL708) handlebar switch on models with the hydraulic clutch master cylinder?  I haven't started the install of my Legend Air suspension yet, but I was looking at the handlebar switch and am concerned that it may not fit with the hydraulic clutch master cylinder.

Thanks,
Greg

It'll fit...it's the same as the clamp that holds the clutch lever/master cylinder on the bar.  Actually, the switch will mount to either side...it's just "upside down" on the right, but all you do is swap the two wires where they connect to the compressor leads.  Mine's on the right because the handlebar mount for the Garmin 660 is on the left.  It might be slightly more convenient to have it on the left side, but once you get used to it, it doesn't matter.  If you want to run the wire internally, that's a whole other ballgame...I've done it before, but it ain't easy.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »

Thanks,
Greg

Yes...it fits nicely with no issues.  Mines mounted on the left side....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

lammgrel

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »

Thanks for the speedy replies!  As I want the wires routed through the bars, and I've never taken a fairing apart before, I'm gonna have our dealership do it here in Cheyenne.
Legend Air Suspension, Jackpot Exhaust, Fullsack 2.25" Cores, K&N High Flow Air Filter
SE Race Tuner, Windsplitter Windshield

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

Thanks for the speedy replies!  As I want the wires routed through the bars, and I've never taken a fairing apart before, I'm gonna have our dealership do it here in Cheyenne.

If I may, a couple of tips for doing this...it is POSSIBLE to run the switch wires left of the switch and into the same hole that the other wires feed into, BUT, it will require some clearancing with a Dremel tool to make a channel for the wire to run left instead of right.  If you look at the switch, it has a relief from the factory for the wire to run out of...hope this is making sense...you'll have to do the same if you intend to run the wires in the opposite direction and enter the handlebar switch housing, and you have to be careful or you'll pinch the wires and cause problems (don't ask how I know).  The easier way, IMO, is to drill a hole in the bar just large enough to get the wires into, directly under the legend switch mounting position...CAREFULLY!!  It'll be about a 5/16" hole, maybe a tad larger...de-burr the hole after it's drilled.  Don't drill too deep!!  Start with a small hole first, then enlarge.  You can then fish a pull wire from the hole just drilled, down the left bar, and pull it out from inside the fairing, after the end is located...then attach the Legend switch wires and pull them through, spraying some lubricant (windex works) on the wires so they pull easier.  It's a tight fit!  I did all this on my '06 SEUC.  I have the Legends on my '11 SERGU, but for now, the wire is external...I didn't have time to do it the other way, and didn't have all the manuals to know how to take everything apart to get to the things I needed to get to.  Likely this will be a winter project for me.  I'm not trying to alarm you, but it is highly unlikely that any HD tech has installed one of these switches before, so see if you can talk to him and go over how he plans on doing this...it requires some improvising.

The alternative is to remove the bar, pull all the wires out of the left side, then feed everything back in at the same time, but you still have to make a path for the Legend switch wires to enter the handlebar switch housing.

Scott (Sanunbar)...have you got any alternate ways of skinning this cat?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:07:37 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »

If I may, a couple of tips for doing this...it is POSSIBLE to run the switch wires left of the switch and into the same hole that the other wires feed into, BUT, it will require some clearancing with a Dremel tool to make a channel for the wire to run left instead of right.  If you look at the switch, it has a relief from the factory for the wire to run out of...hope this is making sense...you'll have to do the same if you intend to run the wires in the opposite direction and enter the handlebar switch housing, and you have to be careful or you'll pinch the wires and cause problems (don't ask how I know).  The easier way, IMO, is to drill a hole in the bar just large enough to get the wires into, directly under the legend switch mounting position...CAREFULLY!!  It'll be about a 5/16" hole, maybe a tad larger...de-burr the hole after it's drilled.  Don't drill too deep!!  Start with a small hole first, then enlarge.  You can then fish a pull wire from the hole just drilled, down the left bar, and pull it out from inside the fairing, after the end is located...then attach the Legend switch wires and pull them through, spraying some lubricant (windex works) on the wires so they pull easier.  It's a tight fit!  I did all this on my '06 SEUC.  I have the Legends on my '11 SERGU, but for now, the wire is external...I didn't have time to do it the other way, and didn't have all the manuals to know how to take everything apart to get to the things I needed to get to.  Likely this will be a winter project for me.  I'm not trying to alarm you, but it is highly unlikely that any HD tech has installed one of these switches before, so see if you can talk to him and go over how he plans on doing this...it requires some improvising.

The alternative is to remove the bar, pull all the wires out of the left side, then feed everything back in at the same time, but you still have to make a path for the Legend switch wires to enter the handlebar switch housing.

Scott (Sanunbar)...have you got any alternate ways of skinning this cat?

When I installed the 575 chubby handlebars, I added a hole for the Legend wiring, and ran them internally...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »

When I installed the 575 chubby handlebars, I added a hole for the Legend wiring, and ran them internally...

Which of course, is the best time to do it all.

TTS Mastertune

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »

Funny, but I was looking at the Legend suspension at a dealer during the Milwaukee Rally
on Sunday, and I was going to ask you guys who had it the longest and what they paid.
They were running a special at the dealer during the rally at 20% off the suspension and labor.
I have Progressive, but boy this seems to be the hot ticket.
The "TAZMUN"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »

Funny, but I was looking at the Legend suspension at a dealer during the Milwaukee Rally
on Sunday, and I was going to ask you guys who had it the longest and what they paid.
They were running a special at the dealer during the rally at 20% off the suspension and labor.

I've had mine since 2007.  This past winter, I sent them the shocks...which they rebuilt at no cost.    :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »

20% off is a good deal.  Back a few years ago, I put together a Group Buy with Legends (I think that's when Scott got his as well?), but they won't do that any longer due to competition with their dealers.  I had them on my '06 SEUC for 20K + miles, and now have them on the '11 SERGU.  In my opinion, installing these is the best option for both better shocks, and for solving problems for those of us who are vertically challenged.  Being able to drop the rear of the bike 3" + can get your feet on the ground better when parking, etc.  And, being able to adjust the ride on the fly is priceless.  The "cool" factor of having a slammed bike when parked is just gravy on an already good biscuit.

TTS Mastertune

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »

20% off is a good deal.  Back a few years ago, I put together a Group Buy with Legends (I think that's when Scott got his as well?), but they won't do that any longer due to competition with their dealers.  I had them on my '06 SEUC for 20K + miles, and now have them on the '11 SERGU.  In my opinion, installing these is the best option for both better shocks, and for solving problems for those of us who are vertically challenged.  Being able to drop the rear of the bike 3" + can get your feet on the ground better when parking, etc.  And, being able to adjust the ride on the fly is priceless.  The "cool" factor of having a slammed bike when parked is just gravy on an already good biscuit.

Hmm, think I'll stop at the dealer tomorrow, talk to the owner and see if they will still honor that price!
The "TAZMUN"

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.