Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hog Tunes upgrade  (Read 1716 times)

Denial

• B-52 Gunner
  • Junior CVO Member
Hog Tunes upgrade
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

I am thinking of getting the Hog Tunes Hogtunes 32 watt/channel amp with MAXXBASS32 & 5" x 7" Hybrid 2 ohm speaker and a custom replacement grills for my 2001 SERG.
I have searched the site and am confused if this is a good system for me.
I don't want to spend a lot of cash but want to improve my system.
Has anyone upgraded to this system & how do you like it?
It sounds like the Hawg Wired system is better but costs much more. I can get the Hog Tunes system for $300.00.
Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
1978 Electra Glide
2001 SERG

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Hog Tunes upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »

Can you contact Hog Tunes and see if there is a customer in your area with that system?  Hard to see how 32 watts per channel will give you much bass.   :nixweiss:   Are you sure it's only rated at 32 watts per channel?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »

There are so many opinions on various systems it will make your head spin and believe me I have read them all and on all sites. I went with ThrottleUp Industries 250w Wetsounds amp/Alpine 6.5 speaker kit with adapter rings and am satisfied with that. I'm going to add speaker pods to my lowers with two more Alpines so that's why I went with 4 ohm speakers so in case I added two more on my 2 channel amp, it would still run at 2ohms safely. You can also go to the 4 ch but more $$$ but the Rockford Fosgate amp may be something to look at. It's enough to take all the fairing apart never mind finding out you've done all the work and are not satisfied. As far as bass, we just don't have the environment to supply bass unless you want to add subs but if you're on a limited budget then there are maybe a few things that "may" help, dynamat the inside fairing but I've heard different opinions about this. Hawg Wired is good stuff and the system Greg put in, J&M, I believe is doing the job for him, he also had a great thread on his installation, that's what I used to do mine  :2vrolijk_21:. You'll also hear different opinions about speakers, round vs oval being round having better sound but it's all stuff you should research and there are many riders that have a great deal of experience here as well as Jason from Carisma Audio on the roadglide.org website, he's helped me out alot so do your research, there's much out there to find out before you pull the trigger!! Good luck with your upgrade.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:04:22 PM by Big Dog »
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

lchavez

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »

Hey brother, keep us posted on what route you take and how satisfied you are with it.  I just upgraded my speakers to the J&M versions with separate tweeters, direct replacement for my 2000 SERG.  They are a quick, cheap upgrade to the original speakers.  They're ok, although no bass, what's up with that!  I'm planning to upgrade to an amp and also want to add rear speakers for the wife, although I haven't decided whether I want to go tour-pak speakers like the Ultra's or rear bag lid replacements with speakers.  I seriously don't like the look of the bag top speakers, but the wife can't enjoy the music at 70 mph with the front mount speakers only.  I rented an 09 Ultra and the stock stereo and speakers that come with was adequate for the both of us, even at highway speeds.

Denial

• B-52 Gunner
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »

I called the folks at Hog Tunes and liked what they had to say. They were very helpful.
So I got a good deal on the Hog Tunes Amp & 5x7 speakers at American Classic Motors ($275).
I installed the system today and went for a 30 mile ride. 100% improvement over the stock system. The biggest improvement was in clarity, sound quality, and additional volumn.
I have not been on the highway yet but at 55 mph I was very satisfied.
The wife does not ride with me often enough for me to stall speakers in the back. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and really test it out.
Thanks everyone, ride safe.
1978 Electra Glide
2001 SERG

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »

Perfect,glad it worked for you. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »

The Hog Tunes are an improvement over stock, not as good as Hawg Wired... I've had both.

My next upgrade most likely will be to J&M as I've now grown out of the HW system... I should have just bought them in the first place.

Man... if I had a nickle for everytime I've ever said that!  :-X

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 25 queries.