Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing Rumble collection heat grips on SESG  (Read 2183 times)

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
Installing Rumble collection heat grips on SESG
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »

I have talked to a couple different dealers and searched on the forums, but can't seem to come up with anyone that has actually installed these. I have the heated grips.... Well, I have the left... the right is on back order. I'm trying to figure out if the "bike" side wiring is already there or if I need to find a harness and tap into the fuse box. 

If any one knows for sure, or better yet, has photos of the install...... Please let me know. ... Thanks!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Re: Installing Rumble collection heat grips on SESG
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »

Heated grips was the one thing I wanted installed that did NOT get done on my 2011 SG. Parts where ordered and the dealership started the job but when they got into it they found out that on the 2011 there was no plug in the harness to power the grips. The 2010's had this plug. So when the dealer called they told me to properly wire the heated grips they needed 11 hours of labour. :'(

I could not justify that kind of money so i passed on the heated grips. If you do a search there is a link on this topic.

I do not know if the 12's have the same harness as the 11's. This is just my experience with the heated grips.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »

Just use Heat Demons and forget about the HD heated grips...they are notoriously unreliable.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »

I just don't like the switch that comes with the Heat Demons. Also I rode a LTD that has the Harley heaters and everyone says the Heat Demons get hotter. I couldn't use the Harley one on any setting other then1 or 2. Can't imagine that the Heat Demons would be usable for me at all. It won't be hard to make a harness to plug in the grips. I just wanted to know if it was already there like a dealer was saying....

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »

its the question i have constantly asked of dealers, for my 11 convertible, the moco should come with a fix for our models

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »

I don't suppose that anyone has the service manual addendum for the CVO Ultra that could post the trouble shooting for the heated grips?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:41:35 PM »

I just don't like the switch that comes with the Heat Demons. Also I rode a LTD that has the Harley heaters and everyone says the Heat Demons get hotter. I couldn't use the Harley one on any setting other then1 or 2. Can't imagine that the Heat Demons would be usable for me at all. It won't be hard to make a harness to plug in the grips. I just wanted to know if it was already there like a dealer was saying....

If anything, the Heat Demons are easier to control as far as temperature is concerned.  Getting too hot is not a problem at all.  I assume you are talking about the chrome switch that goes in place of the clutch or brake clamp?  Blends right in, IMO.

Some of the HD grips work fine for years, but others I know have gone through multiple sets.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

If anything, the Heat Demons are easier to control as far as temperature is concerned.  Getting too hot is not a problem at all.  I assume you are talking about the chrome switch that goes in place of the clutch or brake clamp?  Blends right in, IMO.

Some of the HD grips work fine for years, but others I know have gone through multiple sets.

I agree 100%. Have several friends that have used the HD's and had terrible luck. We use our heated grips (and get spoiled by them) alot here in the great NW. I have personally used the Heat Demons. They work awesome and you can use whatever grips you like. The controller looks nice and is very easy to read and is extremely user friendly. JMHO

2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

skboy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »

Installed them myself. They work great. Their is power on the headlight harness that is not being used. I just tied into it. No dead battery's, power is killed to the wire when the bike is shut off. Very simple to get the wires through the handle bars as well, especially when the throttle is already wired for you. 
Some people go to church on sundays, I ride motorcycles.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.