Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Valve Guide Seals  (Read 7102 times)

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Valve Guide Seals
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:04:25 AM »

Well just put my cherry in for it's 10,000 mile service.  I mentioned to the mechanic that my bike has lost about a quart of oil since my 5,000 mile service. He went and got a spark plug wrench and pulled both plugs.  It wasn't hard to tell what was going to come out of his mouth next.   >:( "You need new valve guide seals"  After reading the posts on this subject, I was not totally caught off-guard.  The mechanic told me its a warranty job and that the new valve guide material is supposed to be much better.  Has any anyone had any issues with the new seals or will I be doing this again in 10,000 miles?
Scrrem

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Valve Guide Seals
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 11:42:16 AM »

A quart in 5000 miles?  That's all it's "lost?"  No way I'd open a motor to fix a problem that isn't.  Especially when it means letting a Harley shop do it.....

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »

A quart in 5000 miles?  That's all it's "lost?"  [highlight]No way I'd open a motor to fix a problem that isn't.[/highlight]  Especially when it means letting a Harley shop do it.....

I concur with that assessment. ;)Later--HUBBARD

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »

A quart in 5000 miles?  That's all it's "lost?"  No way I'd open a motor to fix a problem that isn't.  Especially when it means letting a Harley shop do it.....

Sounds like the stealer is trying to get some warranty work that is not really needed. Let it be!

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 10:12:35 PM »

I agree that a quart in 5,000 miles is not excessive.

I "did" have the oil consumption issue with the '05 FLHRI; and it's my understanding the excessive oil consumption was due to faulty valve stem seals on '05 and later 88A and 88B motors:

Warranty and Service Procedures
• Any individual 18094-02 valve seals in your inventory may be used on Middle-Weight
Powertrain repairs.
• Current engine gasket kits may be used on 2004 - 2006 Sportster and 2003 - 2006
Buell engines.
• Current gasket kits (top end p/n 17052-99B and engine p/n 17053-99A) may also be
used on 2004 and earlier Twin Cam 88/88B engines without any special steps.
• When using current gasket kits (top end p/n 17052-99B and engine p/n 17053-99A) on
2005 and 2006 Twin Cam 88/88B models discard the 18094-02 valve seals included
and use part number 18094-02A in their place, and the included seal protector during
installation

[smiley=drink.gif]
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 07:28:36 AM »

Yes, I would aggree that a quart every 5,000 is not excessive......but  I had a 99 Wide Glide with over 50,000 miles on it and added no oil.  The plugs that came out of that motor were not oil fowled as these plugs were after 5,000 miles.  I hate to have the motor tore apart but I can only see this problem getting worse with age and miles.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 11:44:33 AM »

Tear it down if you need to to ease any misplaced worry or concern.  But what everyone is suggesting is that a quart of oil in 5000 miles is simply not a problem, an error or any kind of deficiency.  There is nothing broken (as a result of that level of oil consumption) to fix.  And saying the prior bike never used a quart in 50,000 is a chimera and no actual comparison as you certainly didn't run it 50,000 miles between oil changes.

A motor consumes a bit of oil in normal use.  It's supposed to.  A quart in 5000 is not too much.  A quart in 5000 also simply could not have fouled spark plugs.

The only way you're seeing a truly fouled (as opposed to simply a dark) spark plug would be if you actually were having almost zero oil consumption for most of that 5000 mile run and then suddenly a seal got damaged/broke/whatever and you used most of the lost quart in just the last bit of this 5000 mile run.  When regularly checking the oil did the level go down incrementally during this time?  Or did you suddenly start losing it more quickly at the end?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »

Scrrem,

Something sounds a little fishy about this.  As Twolane mentioned, you need to know if this quart disappeared gradually over the 5k miles (absolutely normal if it did), or did you have no consumption for 4k and then used a quart in the last 1k miles.  Makes a huge difference.

Now for the fishy part - the MoCo will not authorize warranty repairs for oil consumption unless a controlled test is run first.  There is a copy of their policy and procedure actually posted on this site somewhere detailing how the dealer is to perform the test and document the results.  So the gentleman who told you that you needed valve stem seals could be right, or he could be having a slow month and figured he could increase his income with an unnecessary warranty repair and fudged consumption test.  If it were me, I would run a controlled test first before I let someone go inside my engine.  Real easy to do, basically fill to normal full level (hot) and record mileage.  If you prefer to check the oil cold, let it set overnight and then mark the dipstick (a light line scratched with the edge of a flat file works well for this).  Check the oil level at regular intervals, say every 200 miles, measure and record the variation from the line on the dipstick.  Do not add oil unless the level drops below the add mark, and always check under the same conditions (hot versus hot, cold versus cold) that you used for the first check.  If you have a real consumption problem, it should be evident in the first 1000 miles.  BTW - plugs can also be black from an over-rich mixture, or a too cold plug.  Were the plugs black and wet, with oil on the threads, or were they black and dry?  

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 04:42:55 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:36:17 PM »

Towlanerider/GRC,
Yes, I guess I mis-stated.  What I meant to say is my Dyna never used oil this manner and the the plugs always came out with only a light gray porcelain, not dark and wet like these plugs are. Granted, the oil changes were at 2500, not 5000 for the Syn3.  I checked the oil about every 1,000 miles or so and the loss has been incremental, it did not start all at once. The plugs were in a similar condition at the 5,000 mile service, not quite as fouled.  I had thought maybe breakin took longer for some reason and did not concern my self about it at 5000.  But at 10,000 miles and the plugs still were oily wet with the oil going up the threads.  Not sure what to say about the deal mechanic.  He pulled the plugs and told me right on the spot that the valve guide seals were fault and to schedule a warranty appointment to get them replaced.  I dont put it in until mid July, so I have some time.  I will take GRC's advice and start my own closely monitored test and see how much I am really using.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:33:01 PM »

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a TSB on these for 2005 model year. It is not a matter of IF BUT WHEN!!!!! If you have an 05 I will give you 10 to 1 odds that yours will go bad before you get 50k on your bike. The ones being seen now have less that 20k. The dealers around here are starting to see them daily! They made a change in 05 and then again in 06.

Jerry I have to agree with you on what they are suposed to do before changing them ( the controlled test) but I disagree that a mechanic is looking for Warranty Work at this time of year. First off no Harley Mechanic working flat rate wants to do WARRANTY WORK!!!! It doesn't pay CHIT!!!! If the bike is under warranty I would let them do it and get it over with.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 10:26:28 PM »

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a TSB on these for 2005 model year. It is not a matter of IF BUT WHEN!!!!! If you have an 05 I will give you 10 to 1 odds that yours will go bad before you get 50k on your bike. The ones being seen now have less that 20k. The dealers around here are starting to see them daily! They made a change in 05 and then again in 06.

Jerry I have to agree with you on what they are suposed to do before changing them ( the controlled test) but I disagree that a mechanic is looking for Warranty Work at this time of year. First off no Harley Mechanic working flat rate wants to do WARRANTY WORK!!!! It doesn't pay CHIT!!!! If the bike is under warranty I would let them do it and get it over with.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
DAWG,

I agree - there have been a lot of seal failures on '05's, and the seals were redesigned (again) for '06.  I just haven't seen or heard of anyone using only 1 quart in 5000 miles with oil fouled plugs.  No vehicle manufacturer I know of, bike or car, considers 1 quart in 5k miles to be excessive consumption.  BTW - if I understand the change correctly, it's not just the seal that changed, but also the install method. A special install tool is involved also to prevent any damage to the seal.  

All of that having been said, I also agree that if the dealer is willing to install the new seals at no cost, even if the consumption doesn't exceed Harley's standards, and you don't mind having them going into the engine, then by all means go for it.  

As for your statement that no Harley mechanic wants to do warranty work because it doesn't pay well, I beg to differ.  If you are talking about the top one or two techs in the place, sure they would rather work on customer pay upgrades or repairs where they aren't limited to charging the flat rate hours in the Harley book.  But many places also have new, relatively inexperienced folks who don't normally get those plum jobs, and warranty work beats the heck out of no work or just doing 1k and 5k services.  I've seen it first hand in the auto business in my "service rep" years, and I've spent a little time in bike shops observing similar behavior.  And strangely enough, not all H-D shops are extremely busy this year, unlike the normal situation for the past decade or more.  I recently visited my local dealer to have them do a Stage 1 Race download, assuming I would have to make an appointment, and they did it on the spot.  While this was going on, two other folks pulled up and were able to get their bikes in for repairs while they waited also.  This is a well respected small dealership that would have had at least a two week or longer backlog in previous years.  Around these parts, it appears that the total business has slowed, not just bike sales.

Jerry    
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:14:21 AM »

Jerry I am suprised that the dealer wasn't busy. They are around here. I am doing a FLHTCI front bearing and seal change along with a 5 k service Sunday morning in the shop. The owner took the bike to the local dealer and was told the soonest opening was July 8th. So I guess it's a little different around here.

As far as a mech doing warranty. My main man works flat rate and turns over 80k a year doing so. He is considered one of the best not only in this area but at the MOCO also. He hates it as it just doesn't pay him enough. He does it but man can he cry!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 11:35:14 AM »

In 05 H-D went to a beehive valve spring with a different diameter valve stem and hence different seal. These new seals turned out to be a problem and have been updated..all twin cam 88 motors.

Our 103 heads have the double wound springs and the same seals as used on the Stock SE heads or the twin cam heads of old. Although anything is possible..I would be surprized if have a seal problem..and suddenly at 10,000 miles
So dont be lured into the "ya the 05's had deffective seals" story...your bike was simply not built with those style seals..
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 25 queries.