Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: C.O.R.S  (Read 2203 times)

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
Re: C.O.R.S
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »

Why not just take the small alan head drain on the bottom of the engine block out plus the oil pan drain plug and drain 4 qts and put 4 qts back thats what I do.

OTIS  
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 12:39:09 PM »

Why not just take the small alan head drain on the bottom of the engine block out plus the oil pan drain plug and drain 4 qts and put 4 qts back thats what I do.

OTIS  

OTIS you are a lot smarter than youl look!!!!! Thats is why we like you so much!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

Mike, I, um... well.... didn't read the article either.  So being equally uneducated I had it in my head that I'd pull spark plugs and just let it spin on the starter.

I didn't even think of that. It shouldn't take too long to clear out the bad oil either. I don't think running without oil for 20 to 30 seconds would hurt. But it might over the long run.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »

OTIS  

Otis one thing I just thought of. The guys at Zippers also talked to me about dropping the oil pan when you find trash in your filter or you lose an oil pump to trash. I don't think that wouldn't be a bad idea for a winter service when you are not riding. When you do your complete oil drains for winter drop the pan and clean it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »

I didn't even think of that. It shouldn't take too long to clear out the bad oil either. I don't think running without oil for 20 to 30 seconds would hurt. But it might over the long run.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Unloaded without compression with the oil film still in place? Nah, that won't hurt a thing.  At least not for the amount of time it'd take to clear it out.  Otis's idea is simpler and more direct though.  I knew he wasn't just another pretty face.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »

Otis one thing I just thought of. The guys at Zippers also talked to me about dropping the oil pan when you find trash in your filter or you lose an oil pump to trash. I don't think that wouldn't be a bad idea for a winter service when you are not riding. When you do your complete oil drains for winter drop the pan and clean it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Mike, it'd be easy enough to do.  But man that seems like a lot of effort for an "oil change."  This is going from a one beer job to a an actual task real quick.  If I found trash in the filter; well probably.  But as part of an annual service routine?  Man, I'm just not that dedicated.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 01:42:44 PM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg when I change my oil I take spray brake cleaner to the dipstick hole and spray about half of it and it runs out like A water hose cleans the pan pretty good.

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 10:43:01 PM »

There really shouldn't be a full quart of oil in the sump - if there is your oil pump isn't scavenging properly, or you're not letting it idle for a couple minutes before shutting the engine down.  However, for those of us with the low mount oil cooler, how does this little invention affect that?  It's my contention that most of the "undrained" oil on our bikes is sitting in that cooler, since it won't drain uphill.  Running the engine for 20 seconds with this gizmo attached is not going to flush the cooler (thermostat closed).  I suppose we could pull the hoses and pump some fresh fluid through the cooler.  Of course, if you do the C.O.R.S. or Scavenger, then flush the cooler, you're talking spending way too much time on a simple fluid change.  I think Twolane had it right the first time - much too anal.  Might be worth looking at if you plan to go for the world record between rebuilds, otherwise I've got better things to do.  JMHO

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 11:00:34 PM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG
The oil on the older Harley's went to the engine first, then to the filter on its way back to the oil tank.  With that setup, you would still be getting oil to your bearings, etc.  Unfortunately, at least in this instance, the Twin Cam changed the oil routing so that now the oil goes to the filter first (duh!), so using one of these systems would in fact leave you with no oil flowing to the vital parts of the engine.  Having said that, I still wouldn't worry too much on a roller bearing engine if I didn't have oil pressure at idle for 10 to 20 seconds.  Hell, the pre-TC Harley's seldom had any oil pressure at hot idle anyway.  Now, if you want to talk plain bearing engines where the rotating parts ride on a thin film of oil and not directly on the bearing, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »

much too anal.  

Amen Jerry.  Realized this afternoon that I was actually spending some real amount of time thinking about how to do an oil change.  Way too anal.  Screw it.  I'm taking out that funny looking plug.  Letting the yucky stuff drain out til my beer is empty.  Putting the plug back in (the oil pan, not the beer).  Adding new oil.  And riding the bike another several thousand miles.  Then I'll repeat the process all over again.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.