Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Dry Rot.  (Read 1440 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Tire Dry Rot.
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

We took the wife's SG if for 15K service and a rear tire and they recomended new one front and rear. They showed her that she had a dry rot condition on both tires. We bought the bike new in December or 2010 and these are the original tires. I can understand needed tires for thread wear, Lord knows I can't get 15K but how can tires "rot" in nine months?? >:( What is the straight crap on dry rot? What contributes to it and can it be prevented?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tire Dry Rot.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »

We took the wife's SG if for 15K service and a rear tire and they recomended new one front and rear. They showed her that she had a dry rot condition on both tires. We bought the bike new in December or 2010 and these are the original tires. I can understand needed tires for thread wear, Lord knows I can't get 15K but how can tires "rot" in nine months?? >:( What is the straight crap on dry rot? What contributes to it and can it be prevented?

Assuming you really do have "dry rot" (cracking of the tire carcass), you should tell them to handle it under the tire warranty.  No tire should suffer real failure related to ozone damage in less than one year if it was compounded correctly, and if it really is bad then the warranty should apply.

Exposure to ultraviolet light and ozone are the main factors that eventually lead to "dry rot".  Unless your wife bakes her bike in a tanning booth 24 hours a day while pumping ozone into the booth, I'd say you have a definite complaint.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »

Definately should be a warranty issue or at the very least, should be addressed under good faith customer service.

Is this the dealership that sold it to you?

If the dealership isn't willing to get this handled for you, call HD Customer Service.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »

I agree. Warranty issue.
Jesus is Lord

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »

Thanks for the explanation of the dry rot condition and it was definitely cracked of the tire case. No, she does not park in a tanning booth and pump ozone in but we did consider it. :D :D

The tread was worn out so I would have needed new tires anyway and I thought 15K was good longevity compared to mine and how I drive. She is much less aggressive on the gas and brakes than I am. I will mention this to the dealer next time I go in and yes this was the selling dealer. I have read about tires getting old on the shelf and have insisted on fresh rubber.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »

Thanks for the explanation of the dry rot condition and it was definitely cracked of the tire case. No, she does not park in a tanning booth and pump ozone in but we did consider it. :D :D

The tread was worn out so I would have needed new tires anyway and I thought 15K was good longevity compared to mine and how I drive. She is much less aggressive on the gas and brakes than I am. I will mention this to the dealer next time I go in and yes this was the selling dealer. I have read about tires getting old on the shelf and have insisted on fresh rubber.

That is something everyone should become familiar with, tire manufacturing date codes on the sidewalls, and not just for motorcycles, but for any type of tires you buy.  There are tons of old but never used tires sitting in dealerships and warehouses all over the country, and you don't want them.  But I would be very surprised if the tires that came on that bike from the factory were old.

FYI, studies have been done by various interested parties including auto manufacturer's, and many now recommend that you do not use tires that are beyond 6 years from the manufacturing date. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »

Tire mfg. date is the last four digits of the serial number......  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11   
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.