Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Play in Handlebars  (Read 1933 times)

bluesei2

• HD4me
Play in Handlebars
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »

My '01 FLTRSEI2 (19k miles) has developed some play in the handlebars where you can wiggle them back and forth about 3/4".  Another symptom is that it sometimes feels numb when it hits a bump.  The dealer says the bushings are shot. They can't get to it before the end of the month (neither can any other dealers in the area) but advised that other than it getting progressively sloppier feeling, it isn't necessarily a dangerous situation (e.g. the front wheel won't come off) and that it will be addressed in the 20k service anyway.  The bike does not shake or shimmy when being driven.  

I was planning a trip to Myrtle (1k round-trip) this weekend and wanted to check in to see if others have seen this and if in fact it is not dangerous to ride the bike.  I checked some of the baggers at the dealer and about half have some play, some as bad as mine, while others are perfectly tight.

Has anyone had any experience / success with the urethane bushings?  Dealer says they'll last much longer than rubber.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:47:02 PM by bluesei2 »

SPIDERMAN

Re: Play in Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 10:54:09 PM »

After using the urethane for the past two years, I could never go back to stock rubber bushings. Not only will the urethane bushings last longer, but your bars will feel a lot more solid. You'll feel the road better and in general feel more confident. They still absorb vibration though, so don't worry about that.  ;)

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:03:02 AM »

Hey Blue, I had solid bushings on my 18" Apes on my Evo and my hands would get numb from all the vibration transfer.I swapped out my bars on my SERK over the winter and forgot to swap out to urethane bushings and I had the same play you did.But I took it all apart and installed Good-n-Tight urethane bushings and I have had no problems.Its typical of stock rubber bushings to be a little sloppy anyway,seeing that they also double as a vibration isolator. So urethane is the way to go and I wouldn't worry to much riding around with the stockers until you fix the bushings. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Still_on2_wheels

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »

Good post. I am contemplating the urethanes. Are there other choices besides MOCO?
01 FLTRSEI2, 01FLHRI, 52 Pan, 51 Pan/Shovel. -->> Looking for a pair of plumbers thread panheads <<--

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:44:22 AM »

As I said in the earlier post the brand I used were called Alloy Art good-n-tight urethane bushings.
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1729/420/2343398    Check them out here.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »

Thanks for everyone's reply.  For the record, I rode the SERG nearly 1500 miles and other than an occasional numb feeling in the handlebars around sharp corners and bumps AND a little squirreliness when I tried to follow a straight line between highway patches, it made the trip just fine (even in the rain which we saw alot of).  It doesn't feel any worse now than when I left.  Made the appointment today (earliest day was June 2nd   :'( ) to have the urethane bushings installed.

cheers

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 10:32:31 AM »

Just thought I'd close this posting out and say that I picked up my FLTRSEI2 yesterday with the urethane bushings installed.  As suggested by the posts, it does feel much more solid and tight.  I have a real basis of comparison as the dealer inadvertantly installed rubber ones a few weeks ago and I had to take it back to get the urethanes.  The dealer was good about it and took care of it themselves.  I would definitely concur that urethane is the way to go.  thanks to all for your input.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.