Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Drive Belt Adjustment  (Read 12787 times)

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
Re: Drive Belt Adjustment
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

Maybe he has been putting it off for non riding day  :-\

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:27 PM »

Interesting old thread.  Terry, I recall when you changed the wheels on your '06.  I was in town and we were meeting 11hd110 and several others (I cannot recall) for dinner.  The project quite naturally took longer than expected and you were really rushed to make it.  But it worked out and we had a great time - at a Mexican restaurant as I recall.

But I digress:  Guess I'm just not as anal as I was when I first started riding H-D touring bikes.  Spec for the belt is 3/8"  to 7/16" on my '07.  WTF that is 1/16" leeway!  No way in heck are you able to measure that.  On my '12 the spec is 3/8" to 9/16" so that is a leeway of 3/16" (don't know if the change is retroactive to earlier years).  Still not a lot of leeway imo.

I just make sure the belt is fairly tight - not banjo string tight but not much flex in the mid-point between the sprockets.  That generally is how it comes back from the dealer (several dealers actually) after a tire change.

So as for me I'm just not going to sweat it.  I truly do not think it is all that critical as long as it is not too loose.  As has been stated that can lead to all kinds of problems.  

This is just my opinion and anyone is welcome (and encouraged) to disagree and point out the error of my ways.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:41:20 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »

Interesting old thread.  Terry, I recall when you changed the wheels on your '06.  I was in town and we were meeting 11hd110 and several others (I cannot recall) for dinner.  The project quite naturally took longer than expected and you were really rushed to make it.  But it worked out and we had a great time - at a Mexican restaurant as I recall.

Yea, Jerry...that was a good time. I can remember Brian, I think JR, Tommy, you and JC...but my memory fails me beyond that. I think you guys came down for the AMA races at Barber and we got to take a spin around the track on the bikes. The Mexican place was Two Pesos.  I think some of us went out to 29 Dreams that weekend as well.

That wheel job was a PITA because I also put new PM Chrome Calipers front and rear and had a hell of a time getting them bled properly.  But it was all worth it...I never liked the wheels on the '06's much and the new calipers made a huge difference in being able to stop that bike.

Great memories   :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »

Yep, great weekend!  Would be up for a repeat sometime soon. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.