Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivera Primo Pro Clutch  (Read 6884 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Rivera Primo Pro Clutch
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »

So I had the dealer install my Pro Clutch just before I put my new cams in.
I like the clutch with three exceptions.

1. It is harder to find neutral
2. On very rare occasions after start I will hear a banging/knocking noise that will go away if I pull in the clutch.
3. The clutch does not engage until I have released it about 25% (which I really like) and yet it feels like it is not fully released when I click it in to first.

I know that some said the rod needed to be shortened but the installer did not shorten.  Rivera said it may not need it on an 09.  Do you think these 3 issues could be related?
I am using automatic trans fluid as recommended by Rivera.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Rivera Primo Pro Clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:51:51 AM »

guppytrash, I have a Primo Rivera clutch on my 95 Heritage ( it has ah S&S 107). I have had no issues with it at all. Does the knocking /banging noise go away after the bike warms up or when you are riding? Could be the auto adjuster for the primary chain is not set up right. I have the stock one on my Heritage which I prefer to the automatic one and when I engage first gear you can hardly hear it.Since you are having a hard time finding neutral  maybe your clutch needs adjusting at the clutch, and or cable and check the tightness of your primary chain. Only other thing I could think of is that the bolts holding the clutch springs on are loose. Let us know what it is. Also check your primary fluid level.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

guppytrash, I have a Primo Rivera clutch on my 95 Heritage ( it has ah S&S 107). I have had no issues with it at all. Does the knocking /banging noise go away after the bike warms up or when you are riding? The banging is only at idle and very occasional.  Could be the auto adjuster for the primary chain is not set up right.  2009 has different adjuster, and I don't think this is the problem. I have the stock one on my Heritage which I prefer to the automatic one and when I engage first gear you can hardly hear it.  Since you are having a hard time finding neutral  maybe your clutch needs adjusting at the clutch, and or cable and check the tightness of your primary chain.  No adjustment that I am aware of since it is a HYD clutch. Only other thing I could think of is that the bolts holding the clutch springs on are loose. Let us know what it is. Also check your primary fluid level.  This is one thing I think I need to check.  CAHDBIKER

Thanks for your help.  I really like the clutch and know this is something that can be fixed.  I am going to call Rivera today.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »

Gup, I have the Rivera pro in my "07 SEUC and like it also, but it is not without it's problems. Mine, and a few others here had the same clunk for a while after installation, but it does go away after a few K miles. Neutral is harder to find and it just gets worse after a while. I found out the hard way that these clutches aren't made for use practicing police style cone courses. I've been toasting 4-5 clutch plates and discs every 15K miles. We tried the ATF as Rivera suggested after the first set of replacement discs but returned to red line after the second set of discs. The nice thing about the Rivera basket is that the hub is steel and the inner splines won't wear as fast as the OEM alloy basket hub (where the steel trany shaft enters the basket) I started loosing my OEM basket at 30K hence the replacement. Others here have had the OEM basket completely striped.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »

I installed this simple upgrade in my CUSE when adding the six speed gear box and cam change. operation flawless  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.energyoneclutches.com/product.php?productid=15&cat=2&page=2
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »

Time for an update.
Most important the clutch is working flawless now and no more clunk or difficult/impossible to find neutral.
The cure was replacing the auto trans fluid with Formula+.  Thanks to sadunbar!
I do believe the primary was overfilled too.
No more clunking at idle and neutral is easy to find again.
 :huepfenjump3:
Night and day difference.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »

Time for an update.
Most important the clutch is working flawless now and no more clunk or difficult/impossible to find neutral.
The cure was replacing the auto trans fluid with Formula+.  Thanks to sadunbar!I do believe the primary was overfilled too.
No more clunking at idle and neutral is easy to find again.
 :huepfenjump3:
Night and day difference.

What brand did Scott recommend?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »

Formula+

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »

What amount of fluid did you use?

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 12:38:06 PM »

1 quart

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.