Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine noise at speed  (Read 1066 times)

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Engine noise at speed
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:34:17 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input yesterday on upgrades, Now because im A, new to twin cam motors and B. also new to this 103, is it that its still stock and real quiet exhaust wise  by my standards, i seem to be able to hear the cams whirring at speed or somthing, of course the high windshield adds to it,, when i lean forward its sounds quiet, move my head side to side it sounds  quiet, but it seems right where i sit, at 2300 rpm and again at 3000 i hear this whirring of some sort , not knock or bang, not ping, is it a stock quiet 103 twin cam sound ,  versus my warmed up 1340 with cycle shack ss inserts in screamin eagle baloney cuts. i know this sounds dumb but wow what a different sounding engine. at idle and rev up in neutral no knock, pings or bangs  just real quiet, but rolling at speed, it sounds so different.
any input to rest my weary head? god i must need a noise pollution fix

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Engine noise at speed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:52:50 PM »

My guess is it's just valvetrain noise you're hearing.  Listening to it on an Electra Glide, which is really quiet in the cockpit relative to any other H-D, at some speeds if you concentrate on it very much, you might swear there was a major problem.  But it's just the nature of the beast.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »

Yeah, and the hotter the motor gets, the more strange noises you'll hear...nothing bad, but these things don't like sitting still in 95 degree weather, and 120 radiating off the asphalt.  My a$$ doesn't like it either.  ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 02:24:45 PM »

Went out this am washed and detailed th 98 heritage classic, gettin her ready for sale, fired her up for a noise fix, goin to the local stealer to see about air filter, pipes and download, gotta get some noise into this one. By the way , its cool that everyone is nice here, im not used to that either.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.