Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pitting se muffler end caps  (Read 1097 times)

scre103

pitting se muffler end caps
« on: June 23, 2006, 05:32:44 PM »

:( after 3 years the end caps on my screamin eagle mufflers are pitting despite occaisional cleaning. i havn't noticed any pitting anywhere else except questional micro pitting on my passenger keryakun adjustable footpegs which did seem to come off with simonize chrome polish. do i have to suck it up and buy new harley endcaps or should i take them off and shove them up their _______'s. is there another aftermarket end cap that will fit. (sorry about the thought above but it's friday, i'm tired, in bad need of a brew, and pi__ed about my end caps that i spent 140$  on three years ago. >:(
03 flhrsei2
01 motoguzzi v11 sport rosso mandello
87 honda elite 150 scooter(for the kids)
se high flow air kit
kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs
se efi chip
se performance mufflers
chopped tour pack
standard clea

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
Re: pitting se muffler end caps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 06:59:40 PM »

Thats an absolute bummer.  I just ordered mine yesterday.  Hope I have better luck.  It would cost you nothing to take them back there and try.  The worst they could say was no... [smiley=sad.gif]

Pap

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:19:57 PM »

:( after 3 years the end caps on my screamin eagle mufflers are pitting despite occaisional cleaning. i havn't noticed any pitting anywhere else except questional micro pitting on my passenger keryakun adjustable footpegs which did seem to come off with simonize chrome polish. do i have to suck it up and buy new harley endcaps or should i take them off and shove them up their _______'s. is there another aftermarket end cap that will fit. (sorry about the thought above but it's friday, i'm tired, in bad need of a brew, and pi__ed about my end caps that i spent 140$  on three years ago. >:(

I had a 2002 Road King Classic before getting the 06 SE with Se mufflers and billet end caps.  At 3 years I noticed pitting on the bottom side.  Figured it was a good excuse to buy a new bike and to my surprise my better half agreed.  Sold the pitted end caps and tossed in the Road King along with the deal.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]   ;D
There are risks and costs to a program of action.  But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »

The pitting is caused by the exhaust gases. It's a chemical reaction from the exhaust gas, metal and the heat. Basically it forms a corrosive compound on the surface of the metal and the slowly eats away at it. Just the nature of the beast.
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »

Anyone know the best way to slow it down then?

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 12:01:53 PM »

I've used wax, WD-40, etc. The best I can do is keep them clean with " FINE " steel wool.  Yes steel wool cleans the hell out of chrome. If you don't believe me, try it on an old piece. I usually clean it real good then apply a littel wax. Then pray to the chrome GOD and have a beer for luck.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 12:07:46 PM by Scooterhair »
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 12:04:39 PM »

That luck thing is not a bad one to have on your side.  I get much further on luck than brains! [smiley=drink.gif]

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.