Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ? about my new rotors  (Read 1963 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
? about my new rotors
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »

Hello all, been lurking here for years & finally joined today ...great site! I just had the dealer install new front rotors/pads on Saturday. Mine were so bad I couldn't use the front brake unless u enjoy holding a jackhammer. I was glad the warranty covered it, but still pissed since I barely use the brakes at all ... just under 11k miles on the clock.

The mechanic didn't match up the rivets on the opposing rotor like he was supposed to. Will this matter? I don't think so, but I'm a nitpick & it bothers me. I can fix this myself, but I didn't feel like buying new bolts just to spin 1 or the other one bolt hole. What do u think?
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
Re: ? about my new rotors
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

Why not take it back and make them do it right?  If not you can easily do this at home.
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »

Take it back and have them fix what they should have in the first place.  No excuse for poor workmanship.  Good luck.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

It doesn't matter in terms of function.  But if this issue was discussed ahead of time and the guy still didn't match the two sides up as requested, by all means take it back and have him fix it on his dime and time.  If you just assumed he would match both sides and didn't actually discuss it ahead of time, he might be reluctant to do anything for you however.  I guess it depends on how much he wants your future business.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »

I thought about taking it back, but the weather has been kinda crappy here since Saturday. Plus I didn't wanna seem petty for a minor issue I can take care of myself at home. I thought the dealer was pretty cool so I don't wanna jack them around. Pull up a chair & a drink & I'll give u the whole story ...

I called them first & explained the problem. I knew for a fact the right rotor was junk just from visually looking at it while spinning/cleaning the wheel on my jack. It was so bad when riding if u used the front brake it felt like the whole front end was gonna shake apart so I quit using it period, except for emergency only. Seemed like there was air in system or one of the calipers not right since there was such a diff. in temps. between both rotors. U could ride for miles (not even touching frt. brake) & rt. side always hot while left was ice cold. The old pads were worn PAST wear indicators on rt. side & left ones barely worn at all. I think most of the wear was from that rotor being so warped.
I was happy the mechanic replaced both rotors eventhough the manager said the left wasn't out of spec. I intentionally stood outside & watched him leave for test ride so I could grab him before he ran off & thought he was all done when he got back ... he wasn't! I watched him park & started bsing with him while I reached down, felt the rotors & showed him the rt. side is still hotter than the left. I told him this problem is most likely what warped that rotor so bad in the first place. I was a little pissed when he told me he didn't bleed it so I (nicely) asked him to do it ... back in the shop it went for the ABS bleed procedure. Seems better now, but still a little difference between the two. I have a feeling of going down this same road again ... hopefully before my warranty expires around June.

I always wrenched on my own bikes over the years unless it was something drastic over my head. I would've bled these myself it weren't for the ABS. I installed the headpipes myself after seeing how some dummy at a diff. dealership couldn't install rubber bushings right for a pair of slip-ons! I got home with my brand new bike sounding like a bird chirping. Rubbers were installed backwards & walked off of the muffler mounts ...metal to metal. Easy fix after pulling the bags, but it's frustrating that NOBODY will care about your bike more than yourself! I might be a little ocd sometimes, but can't help it ... always been fussy with all my stuff. End of story & thanks if u read this far.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:26:17 PM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »

Jerry, I guess it's PARTLY my fault I didn't tell him to match them ... thought that was common knowledge, plus the service book specifies that they should match. Like I mentioned above (if u read that story I posted after ur reply) I'm a little fussy & guess the mechanic isn't. No biggie ... I'll take care of it myself. By rights ur supposed to replace the bolts after removing, but that's what my torque wrench is for ... just have to check them time to time. The book claims they can lose torque if not replaced after removal, but they're brand new.

p.s. just noticed u have a twin to my old bike ... those cherries are a sweet color.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:54:35 PM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »

Rotors should last a long time. I have almost 50,000 miles on mine and are in great shape. Still about 1/2
Way on wear on the original brake pads on front. Replaced rear pads at 35,000 miles.
Ltank

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:20:30 AM »

Rotors should last a long time. I have almost 50,000 miles on mine and are in great shape. Still about 1/2
Way on wear on the original brake pads on front. Replaced rear pads at 35,000 miles.
Ltank

I agree they should last longer but my 08 RK warped at 14,000 miles and my 11 CVO Street Glide at 7200 miles. I think they may have gotten some crap rotors on the later models.

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 25 queries.