Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digital oil/temp gauge  (Read 1494 times)

kerb

• Full CVO Member
Digital oil/temp gauge
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »

I got one of those digital oil/temp gauges when I first bought my bike because it was running very hot and I wanted to keep tabs on oil temperature.

I took it in for an oil change (when I bought the bike, they offered a maintenance plan that included oil changes.. I took it... What was I thinking?)
I noticed after I got it home that the digital gauge was reading above full.  So I pulled oil out until the digital gauge didn't blink overfull anymore.
In total I had to remove about 1 quart!

I was checking it per the instructions that came with the digital gauge.

The service desk guy told me that the digital gauge isn't accurate for oil level.  Not sure I buy that.  I think they just overfilled it.
What think you?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Digital oil/temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »

Did you check reading on the actual dipstick?

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »

Did you check reading on the actual dipstick?

That was rather strange.  I checked it on the physical dipstick when it was reading overfull on the led display, and I couldn't see oil past the full mark.  However, there's a little slot there where the digital sensor is and I think that it might have skewed the dipstick reading.

As I was extracting oil, I was checking on the stick itself and also checking the led display.  It never went below "full" on the dipstck even though eventually (after extracting a quart) the led display stopped complaining that it was overfull.

Of course it was new oil, so it is really hard to see.

I could kick myself for not thinking to check it with the OEM dipstick that is hanging on the wall of the garage.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »

Were you checking the oil level while the bike rested on its sidestand or with the bike on a center stand?
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »

I've found the Digital Dipstick to be accurate enough for it's intended purpose.  I've had them on two different bikes...an '06 SEUC and now the '11 SERGU (two different versions of the dipstick), and have cross checked with the original non-digital, and found them to be the same.  I totally rely on it now to accurately tell me the oil level in my bike.  However, I only read it when the bike is fully up to operating temperature (oil temp >200 degrees), sitting on level ground on the kickstand, and it's sat there for about 5 minutes to ensure all the oil (that can) has drained back down into the crankcase.  9 times out of 10, I do this when stopped for a gas refill.

If your bike met all those conditions after the HD dealer changed the oil, and the digital dipstick read high, I'd say they put too much oil in.  When draining the oil, you can never really get ALL of the old oil out of the bike.  If you just dump 4 quarts of oil in, it's likely to be too much, by a small margin.  Some motors don't like to have more than 3.5-3.75 quarts in them...they'll just puke the excess out the air filter until it reaches it's state of equilibrium.  My '06 liked less than 4 quarts in it, so I let it stay one tick down on the digital readout.  The new bike seems to do fine full.  When I change oil and filter, I put about 3.75 quarts in ( I just eyeball the bottle), crank the motor, let it reach OT, shut it off, check it, then add a tad if needed.

You should ask your dealer for a replacement dipstick if he says it's off by a full quart.  Bet that will shut him up quickly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

Were you checking the oil level while the bike rested on its sidestand or with the bike on a center stand?

Sidestand.  Oil at running temperature (> 200 degrees)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that the dealer always overfills the oil and that the digital dipstick (the one on the bike) is pretty accurate.  Best way to confirm is to check manually, however.  Another reason to do your own service!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »

I've found the Digital Dipstick to be accurate enough for it's intended purpose.  I've had them on two different bikes...an '06 SEUC and now the '11 SERGU (two different versions of the dipstick), and have cross checked with the original non-digital, and found them to be the same.  I totally rely on it now to accurately tell me the oil level in my bike.  However, I only read it when the bike is fully up to operating temperature (oil temp >200 degrees), sitting on level ground on the kickstand, and it's sat there for about 5 minutes to ensure all the oil (that can) has drained back down into the crankcase.  9 times out of 10, I do this when stopped for a gas refill.

If your bike met all those conditions after the HD dealer changed the oil, and the digital dipstick read high, I'd say they put too much oil in.  When draining the oil, you can never really get ALL of the old oil out of the bike.  If you just dump 4 quarts of oil in, it's likely to be too much, by a small margin.  Some motors don't like to have more than 3.5-3.75 quarts in them...they'll just puke the excess out the air filter until it reaches it's state of equilibrium.  My '06 liked less than 4 quarts in it, so I let it stay one tick down on the digital readout.  The new bike seems to do fine full.  When I change oil and filter, I put about 3.75 quarts in ( I just eyeball the bottle), crank the motor, let it reach OT, shut it off, check it, then add a tad if needed.

You should ask your dealer for a replacement dipstick if he says it's off by a full quart.  Bet that will shut him up quickly.

LOL I like the way you think!

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that the dealer always overfills the oil and that the digital dipstick (the one on the bike) is pretty accurate.  Best way to confirm is to check manually, however.  Another reason to do your own service!

True.  I've always done all my own work up till this point.  Including installing pipes on this bike, making the tp detachable, etc.
I figured, "Who could screw up an oil and filter change?"
I may cancel the service agreement and get my money back.  If it comes back again a quart overfull I definitely will.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »

True.  I've always done all my own work up till this point.  Including installing pipes on this bike, making the tp detachable, etc.
I figured, "Who could screw up an oil and filter change?"
I may cancel the service agreement and get my money back.  If it comes back again a quart overfull I definitely will.

Not intending to make any disparaging remarks about anyone here who works as a tech at a HD dealership, but if they're run anything like a car dealership, the "oil change guy(s)" are typcially not the most experienced tech in the house.  And that's putting it nicely.  Your probably on the right track to get a refund on the service contract and do it yourself, with the products that you want to use...   Servicing the bike is relatively easy, and gives you a chance to kind of look over things to make sure everything is up to snuff, instead of the slam bam thankyouma'am approach most places take with an oil change.  I'll take my car to one place near the house to get the oil changed, because I know them, and know they won't strip out the oil pan plug, and I rotate my tires at every oil change...I'm not set up for that at home, plus, as the cars have gotten lower to the ground, I've gotten "thicker", so I don't fit underneath them as well as I used to.  ::)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

kjmessner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 2006 Heritage Classic (wife's bike)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »

I had the exact same experience with my 2012.  I checked it before leaving the dealers (cold engine) and it looked ok.  Got it home and checked it hot and it showed HI OIL.  I checked the dipstick, and it was perfectly at the top limit (hot).  I also cross-checked it on the original dipstick - right on the max fill line...  Dealer said the same to me - that the digital level is known to be "off" a bit - and should just be used as a reference for level - use the dipstick for accurate measurement.
2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.