Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Incredable......Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees!  (Read 3283 times)

hogasm

Re: Incredable......Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees!
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »

I wonder if the school flew the American Flag that day or the Mexican flag?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:53 AM »

I haven't bothered to go back and research this entire thing again, but I seem to remember getting the distinct impression when I did so, back when this actually happened, that the three kids in question were definitely trying to start something.  So the administrator probably had reason to be worried about these three setting off some sort of riot.  However, without overt actions to support the idea that they were trying to provoke something, his solution was totally wrong.  If those kids had been wearing shirts with racist symbols or comments, then by all means make them remove them or leave the campus.  But simply displaying the official symbol of our nation should never be restricted.  If the administrator was that worried, he should have arranged for additional security to keep an eye on those individuals he believed might be trying to foment unrest.

It's strange that throughout this nation we have all sorts of parades and celebrations for people of all sorts of ethnicities, and we don't hear a whole lot of BS about them.  For instance, come on over to Chi town for St. Patrick's day, when even Mexican immigrants are Irish for a day.  Or for some of our Polish festivals, or Cinco de Mayo for that matter.  Somehow we make it through tons of these things every year without starting World War III.

The decision was wrong, and hopefully it will be overturned on appeal so we won't have one more stupid precedent on the books that someone can use to suppress someone else's freedom to be patriotic.  But don't be so sure that patriotism was the real issue in this particular case.  This doesn't carry the same weight in my opinion as the case where a condo association won't let a veteran display his large American flag outside his condo. 

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 11:16:41 AM »

I initially wanted to merge this message into JCZ's post but received a red system message telling me I needed to create my own thread since JCZ's was older than thirty days. Created a new thread and added the URL pointing to JCZ's post. When I hit save my post disappeared so I thought the URL messed me up so I removed it and reposted.  Normally a message is posted stating a post was moved and the reason why. Wasn't trying to steal anybodies thunder.

Anyway,

I see the Judges opinion as saying the School Administrators have the power to prevent problems whether their decision is correct or not. If the School Administrators make the wrong decision then maybe that is a separate issue and should be handled as policy within the school system.

Seems to me the Judge's ruling is correct. It gives the administrators the power to make decisions, whether right (hopefully all of the time) and wrong (hopefully seldom). The administrators had a very tough decision. (How do they avoid conflict with a large number of teenage students?) They were willing to err on the side of school safety. The government seems to err on the side of safety quite often.

The displaying of our countries symbol by one individual can be considered antagonistic to other individuals.
The administrators decided the celebration of Cinco de Mayo was okay. :nixweiss: The administrators decided the students wore the American flag t-shirts to antagonize the students celebrating Cinco de Mayo and wouldn't allow the antagonizing.

If the parents think the administrators are wrong then they can vote in a new Superintendent. It's called Democracy.

Thought you'd get a kick out of my PM Don.  I was laughing as I typed it......knew you would be when you read it.

When you're replying in a thread that's over thirty days old (happens often around here) and the notice pops up warning you that it's over thirty days and suggesting an other option, you have the option of posting anyway, to that thread. :2vrolijk_21:

Speaking the English language (American English) by one or a group of indiviuals can be considered antagonistic by another group.  Where is that going to leave us.  It seems to me that at some point the school administrators need to do the "right" thing and deal with the cosequences.....collatoral damage.  Just quite possibly this school needs to develope a policy that the school will only celebrate recognized holidays and not allow holidays of foreign countries to be celebrated on school property.  Where does it all end?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.