Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom Audio Ohms question  (Read 3186 times)

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
Boom Audio Ohms question
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »

Just purchased the 2012 5x7 CVO RG speaker grills for my 09 CVO RG and the grills came with tweeters already installed in them.  Was wondering if they were 2 or 4 Ohm.  Installing a pair of JL C5 570 5x7 4 Ohm components with a HW 4 Ohm 150 watt amp and was hoping I could use the tweeters that came in the grills.  They look of good quality and are installed pretty well.
                                                          Cory

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Boom Audio Ohms question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:00:18 AM »

I'm not familiar with the RG speakers, but I bought the rear saddlebag kit which comes with 2-ohm 5x7 speakers. I measured the impedance of each component on these speakers and the tweeter was 4-ohm.

Noway I would drop the coin on the JL's and use the stock HD tweeters.

I am "building" a set of speakers for the rear saddlebag lids using JL C5-570 components. It has been a fun (but very tedious and frustrating) project. Both of the speakers are done and I'm at the point of sending them to paint. It is very difficult to tell them apart from the stock HD 5x7's ... unless you examine my speakers with a stock one side-by-side (and look closely at both) you's never know they were JL's.

Can you post a pic of what the grills look like with the stock tweeters mounted?

EDIT: Since all you need to do is add the JL tweeters to the stock grills, your install will be much easier than mine  :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:08:50 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

mnm327

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »

Are those JL C5-570's Marine Grade?  Do you think they are suitable for the open road?

I'm not familiar with the RG speakers, but I bought the rear saddlebag kit which comes with 2-ohm 5x7 speakers. I measured the impedance of each component on these speakers and the tweeter was 4-ohm.

Noway I would drop the coin on the JL's and use the stock HD tweeters.

I am "building" a set of speakers for the rear saddlebag lids using JL C5-570 components. It has been a fun (but very tedious and frustrating) project. Both of the speakers are done and I'm at the point of sending them to paint. It is very difficult to tell them apart from the stock HD 5x7's ... unless you examine my speakers with a stock one side-by-side (and look closely at both) you's never know they were JL's.

Can you post a pic of what the grills look like with the stock tweeters mounted?

EDIT: Since all you need to do is add the JL tweeters to the stock grills, your install will be much easier than mine  :)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »

I don't anticpate any problems due to exposure to the elements.
They are not marine rated, but then again, I've never had a marine rated speaker on any bike and never had an issue.

Even the HD speakers I would question to be "marine rated" - when they say "weatherproof" my thinking is they mean they won't leak (much :) ).
My opinion only of course.
TIF2

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »

Here are a few pics

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »

They look like very decent silk dome tweeters with a large magnet not the standard metal Boom audio tweeter I've seen you can purchase in the 2012 HD parts book for the RG.  As you can see to install the JL's I would need to remove the top me grills which has a foam tape top gasket to seal nicely to the inner fairing and all the grill tabs that fold into the 5X7 plastic plastic mount are bent over and also glued in with some black adhesive.  The tweeters also look to be maybe glued in as I removed the under mount bracket hoping the tweeter would drop out the bottom or at least loosen up a little and wiggle around but no such luck and all the wiring for the tweeters are also tacked into a channel with black adhesive.  I agree the JL's would be mint but didn't know if these were close or comparable with a 4 Ohm rating and would save me a couple hours of tedious disassembly and assembly while hoping not to break anything.  And on the plastic frame their is a silkscreened 1 Ohm mark any ideas?  
                                                                  Thanks,Cory  

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:41:33 AM »

As far as I can tell those are the 1-ohm speakers that are meant to couple to the same type of amplifier found in the SESG2 and SESG3. I would hit the tweeters with a multimeter to measure them. Also, there is a good chance that he JL audio woofers won't line up with the mount holes in the grill ( from the pics above). H ave you tried to mount the woofers and the grills together? Any seal issues regarding the grill and the woofer frame?

The 2-ohm 5x7 speakers that came with the saddlebag speaker kit had "non-standard" mount hole spacing and wondering if you will encounter the same thing. What I encountered is that so much material needed to be removed from the mount tabs of the JLs that I got concerned with the ability of the tabs to hold the woofer properly. If I were a betting man I'd lay odds that you will encounter the same thing. If you adjust the JL woofer to where the mount tabs line up, make sire that the top of the JL woofer seals completely against the bottom of the grill assembly (without hitting the woofer surround). If there are gaps it will kill the sound of the woofers.

I agree it would be a tedious procedure to mount the JL tweeter, but it looks like it might be possible. Either way ... I don't think it will be a very easy install even for the JL woofers (but hope I'm wrong). H-D's use of non-standard hole spacing really screws things up.

Dollars to dounts says the woofer driver meant to go with the grill/tweeter assembly you have has the same physical dimensions and mount hole spacing as the one in the attached pic (in case you didn't know, you can click the image for a larger pic). If so, doubtful you'll have an easy install of the JL woofers:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:39:00 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

Figured that nothing I have done on this bike has been easy.  Had a feeling I would have to cut, grind,paint and rewire these to make them work.  I don't have the JL's in yet to see how this will play out.  But I sure I'm in the same boat as you.  Any pics you can post of your set up?  Any other tips would be great.
                                                                                    Cory

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »

TIF2

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.