Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ignition Switch Problems on 2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Read 5443 times)

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
Ignition Switch Problems on 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »

...I've had problems with my ignition switch locking (via remote or manually) on my 2012 FLHTCUSE7 since day one.  Today, I took it to the local dealer and they replaced the switch ...then when I went to pick-it-up...it still did not operate correctly using the remote or by the key.  The switch will pop-up and come out when manually locking it...same exact problem I took it in for.  They tech said they are going to order a complete assembly...kinda scary since the tech did not seem very knowledgeable regarding this problem or it would have been fixed right the first time.  The sad part is they tried to pass it off as being repaired without checking to see if it worked correctly.  They also nicked the paint on the fairing instrument panel while removing it and I did not notice it until I got it home...hopefully that won't be an issue and they will order a new one.

Anyway, I noticed several members on this forum experiencing the same problem with the lock...so I recommended the tech contact H-D to see if the MoCo is aware of the power ignition switch knob issues.  The switch assembly still feels like it's in a bind and does not turn smoothly like my other touring bikes did.  

How many of you have or had problems with the switch locking manually and/or by the remote?  And how did you fix it?

thanks,
Randy  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:59:32 AM by hdtrader »
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Re: Ignition Switch Problems on 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »

My bike has similar issues.  The ignition switch turns rough.  It will not always unlock.  My dealer said that this issue is caused by improper assembly at the factory.  They are replacing the switch under warranty.  Now that the weather is close to snow I will probably not get my bike fixed until spring unless I can be assured by the dealer they will not need to test ride the bike.  It needs the rear brake light switch replaced also.  Not happy. :soapbox:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »

same problem!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »

It's not uncommon for dealerships to just start throwing parts at a problem hoping they catch the issue in the process. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »

My dealeran fix said they have run across the issue before.  Not sure I totally believe it but hope they can fix it.  Not much choice right now.  Nice thing about living in the Milwaukee area there are a lot of dealers.  Bad thing is the best service is probably up north where a friend is working.

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »

My dealer said all the 2012 had the update brake switch on them from factory???  They may be wrong ????
bobby

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »

They are partially right.  I would venture to guess that once the issue was identified and the letter came out, all new bikes coming off of the assembly line would have the new switch.  But the blanket statement that all '12s came with it is wrong.  I had to have the recall done on my '12 SESG3.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »

I started a thread on this same subject soon after I got my CVO... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66732.0

With all of the help provided by the folks in this group, I managed to simply inspect and reinsert the assembly back where it goes and decided to never attempt to lock anything with the key.

After using just the remote to lock everything, all seems well.   8)

"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »

...met with the shop foreman this morning and they are going to order the complete locking assembly.  They also said they would repair or replace the dash panel where the tech chipped the paint.  The boss and lead tech said they would do whatever it takes to make it right and make me happy...can't ask for any better than that...  

They also said they were contacting the MoCo to find out more about the problem...

T-Hawk...I would take it back to your dealer and have them fix it right...the MoCo must have installed a bad batch of ignition swithes during assembly.
Also does your remote key fob lock the ignition along with the bags and tourpak?  

Randy  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:40:48 PM by hdtrader »
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »

...met with the shop foreman this morning and they are going to order the complete locking assembly.  They also said they would repair or replace the dash panel where the tech chipped the paint.  The boss and lead tech said they would do whatever it takes to make it right and make me happy...can't ask for any better than that...  

They also said they were contacting the MoCo to find out more about the problem...

T-Hawk...I would take it back to your dealer and have them fix it right...the MoCo must have installed a bad batch of ignition swithes during assembly.
Also does your remote key fob lock the ignition along with the bags and tourpak?  

Randy  

If you turn the ignition to the fork lock position WITHOUT using the key, then hit the lock button on the fob, it locks the bags, TP, and ignition switch.  Never a need to use the key as long as the battery is good in the fob, or there is not a failure of the locking mechanism.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »

If you turn the ignition to the fork lock position WITHOUT using the key, then hit the lock button on the fob, it locks the bags, TP, and ignition switch.  Never a need to use the key as long as the battery is good in the fob, or there is not a failure of the locking mechanism.

Randy, what TC said...  I have one of those dealers that really don't care too much about you or your problems After they make the sale.  They did order a new switch, but I told them unless it acts up again while still under Factory Warranty, I'll let them keep it.  Really don't need another set of keys... and even I was able to determine after reading everyone's post in reply to my questions that it was a combative situation between the Manual and Electronic functions trying to work at the same time.  The Switch does remove rather easily in my opinion, but I guessing only CVO owners and the really hardened criminals know how.  Lucky for me, I'm somewhat isolated from the latter.  8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.