Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CD changer issue  (Read 855 times)

badpig2001

• FLHRSEI.ORG
CD changer issue
« on: June 28, 2006, 12:27:38 AM »

[smiley=soapbox.gif]Ok to make this simple, when playing a CD only one speaker will work(left). Playing FM/Cass/Sat all sound is normal. Local dealer says its the head unit(HD). Some say the changer. I do not see any issues with the harness or connector. There is not a fade or balance on head unit. Being the changer is FM modulated on channel 88.1 and my Sat radio is on the same channel it is very puzzeling to me. Any electron freaks with suggestions?
Bubs pipes
Ness Big Sucker breather
Sirius Sat.
Infinity speakers
Pioneer amp

1998 FXSTC for sale Email me if interested.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: CD changer issue
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:46:47 PM »

Because there's no rear speakers, there's no fade and none have a balance control (at least in recent years).  On an 01 SERG, the changer is not FM modulated, it's hard-wired in.  It could be either piece, the head unit or the CD.  If the head unit doesn't process the input from the changer correctly then you'd not have a right output.  Higghly unlikely given you have right output from other sources.  Have you tried plugging in an MP3 player and seeing what happens there?  I'll bet you've got stereo.  So that leaves you with the changer itself.  It's probably lost the right output circuit.  You can send it to RadioSound, who for $135, they'll go over the unit and repair what needs to be repaired.  But, they're a$$holes so I'd not send my stuff to them.  The isolators (there are 4, 2 per side) are JVC part# LV30451-002A for about $22 each.  The suspension springs are available from Ace hardware.  If I remember correctly, they are a #19- the only difference is the "hook" portion is oriented teh same direction on the Ace springs, while the stockers are 90 degrees apart.  They still work fine.  The unit itself is a JVC, probably something along the lines of a CHX 1100 or 1200 CD changer.  There is a secondary unit in the tourpak that may also be a problem, but I haven't explored that unit enough to know what it's supposed to do.  Any good JVC center should be able to hook you up, but they'll be working somewhat on the fly.  You''l need to find one that has lots of experience with the 2000-2001 time frame changers.  They'll do great.  Hope this helps.  Any decent aftermarket stereo repair shop should be able to fix it, if they've got the guts to get past the initial lack of specific model number.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:47:55 PM by arcticdude »
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

badpig2001

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 04:51:01 PM »

Thanks for the info Dude, but if it is not FM modulated (which is cool if it isn't) then why does the wired remote on the changer have a function to change or tune to a FM channel?  [smiley=confused5.gif]
Bubs pipes
Ness Big Sucker breather
Sirius Sat.
Infinity speakers
Pioneer amp

1998 FXSTC for sale Email me if interested.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:32:21 PM »

Your head unit can't tell the difference between a radio station or the cd.  So, with that being said, the cd SHOULD work the same as a radio station.  So if you're picking up radio stations in stereo where both speakers are working, then you should get the same with the CD player.  If not, then it's either the CD player or the FM modulator.  Be sure and check all the plug connections at the modulator and on the CD changer as well.  

Radio Sound Inc. may be able to walk you through some simple ways of checking it out.  They'er out of Louisville KY.  and are the ones that do/did all the service/warranty work.  800-367-4506.
Cheers,  [smiley=drink.gif]

J
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 02:35:13 PM by sooiee »
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:21:38 PM »

Since it's on her bike, I didn't know the remote had station changing capabilities.  I do know that you can't add the MP3 (handlebar system) or the CB when you have the changer.  You can only have on or the other, leading me to state the changer is hardwired.  I'll bet the remote's capabilities are an unintended side effect/ability.  RadioSound didn't want to give me the time of day, fwiw.  That's why I was determined to find another source for ANY changer part I wanted. Hope you have better luck.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

BigR55

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:54:43 PM »

I use an I-Pod with the FM modulator. It works great. The I-Pod has 3500 songs (every song I own), four movies and an album of photos. I program a play list and place the I-Pod in the trunk, then it is just one of the FM frequencies on the selection screen.

As for testing your changer, find some one with a modulator on a portable device  8-)and see if your FM will tune into both channels. Only difference between FM stereo radio station signal and your changer is that the radio may be a bit more selective (paticular) about the quality of signal that it will process. 8-)

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.