Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 1322 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
First Impressions
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »

As some of you already know I traded my 2009 SE Ultra in on a new 2012 SE Ultra. I really like this new bike, but the workmanship from the factory leaves a lot to be desired. The attention to detail on this bike was bad. I would think the assembly line workers would have a little more pride especially when and SE model comes down the line. I had a lifter bleed down after only 650 miles. The next day I did a full fluid change with RED LINE!!!! It is a lot better now. Now I have warranty issues that need to be addressed. The lower fairing on the rt side was not clamped on the bottom, clamp was there along with nut bolt and washer. There is a chip in the paint because of this. The rt tank emblem is loose and the end cap on the rt hand grip is missing. The courtesy lights don't work and the A$$ KICKER is the CVO emblem on the rear fender is not straight. I know that these are minor but attention to detail!!!!

The bike was DXed from a dealer in Ohio and I took delivery from a dealer in Pa. I got a smokin deal to say the least. I shopped around and even my regular dealer wouldn't touch the deal. The best I could do was still 2 grand higher than I paid. In the deal I purchased a race tuner and a Fat Kat with a dyno tune. I put 1200 miles on the bike and took it back to get the work done. Riding the bike home I was not very happy. I had a 3 hour trip through the Mountains so the dealer wanted to get me back on the road. They also installed a cooling fan and relocated the horn under the fairing. I was told the Mechanic working on my bike was the best!!!! They called him in on his day off to do the work. I can tell you next time I'll do my own work so I know it will get done correctly. Riding the bike that spun the treadmill at 91hp and 108tq it seemed a little sluggish to me. It also was still running hot and had a lot of decell popping. Sooooooo 3 weeks later in comes Axil. Axil had me purchase the CD and cables for the race tuner so he could smart tune the bike. Well not being a big fan of the race tuner I agreed. He hooked up to the bike and checked the map that the dealer had installed. He said " HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS LEANER NOW THEN IT WAS FROM THE FACTORY" I was thinking go figure. I was already unhappy with the other work performed at the dealer. He loaded a base map and told me to go warm it up. I did and came back so he could hook up the dungle and the cables. I then road it for about 30 minutes. Even before being smart tuned it ran much better. He then downloaded the first smart tune map into the bike. We were running out of time so the tweeking will have to wait for a few weeks. It really runs good now and very little popping.

I am still very happy with the deal I got but I cannot believe the workmanship at the factory and dealer level. You would think in these hard times people would do a much better job to earn and keep your business. Oh well it is what it is.

Now all I have to do is come up a game plan to make my motor bullet proof!!!!!!

One last note I just got a call from my dealer while I was proof reading this post. WARRANTY WORK HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE MOCO!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO :2vrolijk_21:

Be Safe

THE DAWG   
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Jerry/MD

Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »

I really like this new bike, but the workmanship from the factory leaves a lot to be desired. The attention to detail on this bike was bad. I would think the assembly line workers would have a little more pride especially when and SE model comes down the line.

It SHOULD be their priority to have pride on EVERY bike...not just the SE models. What these folks don't seem to get is their lack of attention to detail or quality workmanship hits them directly. But I guess since sales over the past few years have been good it really doesn't matter does it?  :(

BTW, I'm one of the few who felt moving the CVO production to the standard assembly line was a bad idea. Supposedly the 'team building' concept they previously used resulted in a better quality product and we paid a premium for it. Since the price didn't change I guess that wasn't the case...... ;)

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:00:12 PM by Jerry/MD »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »

I was thinking the same thing about moving the CVO production line.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »

I know how you feel!  On my 2012 SEUC, the bike handled extremely poorly when I picked it up.  Any wind disruption sent the bike all over the lane.  In addition, any time that I even touched the front brakes the bike nosedived big time.  Turns out that the neck bearings were extremely tight, so adjusting them correctly helped quite a bit.  I decided to go with the Progressive Mono-Tubes for the front end to get rid of the dive issue.  When the front forks were drained, got about 3 oz from one fork and about 5-6 oz from the other, even though each fork is supposed to have 11 oz!  If the MoCo was a car manufacturer, they would be out of business due to quality issues.  When I spend $37K on a motorcycle, I shouldn't have to go through the entire bike to ensure that it is put together correctly!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »

I know how you feel!  On my 2012 SEUC, the bike handled extremely poorly when I picked it up.  Any wind disruption sent the bike all over the lane.  In addition, any time that I even touched the front brakes the bike nosedived big time.  Turns out that the neck bearings were extremely tight, so adjusting them correctly helped quite a bit.  I decided to go with the Progressive Mono-Tubes for the front end to get rid of the dive issue.  When the front forks were drained, got about 3 oz from one fork and about 5-6 oz from the other, even though each fork is supposed to have 11 oz!  If the MoCo was a car manufacturer, they would be out of business due to quality issues.  When I spend $37K on a motorcycle, I shouldn't have to go through the entire bike to ensure that it is put together correctly!

Ernie I didn't even complain about the front diving YET. I have ordered a set of 944's for the rear but have not addressed the front end. I thought it was because they use the bigger brembo's up front and they had not made any changes to the front suspension. The lack of fluid was just another example of the chitty workmanship. BTW how does the bike ride now????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:12 AM »

BTW how does the bike ride now????

Be Safe

THE DAWG

One of the things that made a big difference was adding the wind deflector on the forks.  It was really surprising that a $25 piece of chrome could made such a difference in stability.  I went from having to work to keep the bike in 1/2 a lane at 80-90 mph on a windy day to now relaxing with one hand on the bars.  That being said, my 05 is still feels more stable with less bar movement at speed.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »

I must be doing something wrong as my bike handles great. Did I get the only one they built right? I know my 2009 was a piece of chit....
Bill

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »

One of the things that made a big difference was adding the wind deflector on the forks.   It was really surprising that a $25 piece of chrome could made such a difference in stability.  I went from having to work to keep the bike in 1/2 a lane at 80-90 mph on a windy day to now relaxing with one hand on the bars.  That being said, my 05 is still feels more stable with less bar movement at speed.

Where did you get them??? I really don't have a problem with the bike at high speeds YET. The stock suspension is junk and I just got an e mail that my 944's shipped yesterday. They have been on back order for over a month. I guess in the next couple of weeks I'll go ahead and do the progressive mono tubes in the front. Now I have to flip a coin and decide what fluid to use in the front end!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

I must be doing something wrong as my bike handles great. Did I get the only one they built right? I know my 2009 was a piece of chit....

You must have!!!! I am happy for you. I am just upset that you will pay 37k for a bike and have the problems I am having. Oh and it is all assembly line problems!!!! I do like how the bike corners though. I can't wait to up grade the suspension!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »

I have about 550 break-in miles so far on my '12 CVO Ultra and I have found the following issues:

1. The bars appear to be tweaked....they are not even on both sides
2. The switch plate around the accessory switches / ignition area is mis-aligned
3. The front end is skating around and feels light.....unlike any other Harley I have ever owned
4. Tire pressure was 32R / 26F as delivered.....now corrected
5. Rattle clip for clutch lever is missing / broken

The dealer has been informed and will take care of it at the 1000 mile service
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:25:09 PM by b407driver »

mark

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

Hope we aren't headed back to the era of AMF quality.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »

I have about 550 break-in miles so far on my '12 CVO Ultra and I have found the following issues:

1. The bars appear to be tweaked....they are not even on both sides
2. The switch plate around the accessory switches / ignition area is mis-aligned
3. The front end is skating around and feels light.....unlike any other Harley I have ever owned
4. Tire pressure was 32R / 26F as delivered.....now corrected
5. Rattle clip for clutch lever is missing / broken

The dealer has been informed and will take care of it at the 1000 mile service

TIRE PRESSURE?????? The dealer should be crucified!!!! That is total BS. How is the front end now????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »

Hope we aren't headed back to the era of AMF quality.

I thought they were the fun days when everyone worked on their own Harley!!!!! LMAO!!!! But on a serious note I hope not!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG[/color]
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

TIRE PRESSURE?????? The dealer should be crucified!!!! That is total BS. How is the front end now????

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Front end still feels "light"......Gotta play with it a little more for an accurate assessment.

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.