Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear tires  (Read 6499 times)

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
Rear tires
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »

time for a new tire ....was wondering if anyone has managed to get a 200/50-18 on the back of their Ultra ? according to the specs it is very close to the same circumference as the 180/55-18 but is 1 inch wider looking for other options dealer just quoted me $305.00 for OE tire + install  I have found the same online for $245 shipped ... and the service dept wonders why they are slow ..obviously the online store is still making money with their pricing
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Rear tires
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

time for a new tire ....was wondering if anyone has managed to get a 200/50-18 on the back of their Ultra ? according to the specs it is very close to the same circumference as the 180/55-18 but is 1 inch wider looking for other options dealer just quoted me $305.00 for OE tire + install  I have found the same online for $245 shipped ... and the service dept wonders why they are slow ..obviously the online store is still making money with their pricing

I'm confused.  Does your FLTRUSE have a 16 inch rear wheel like the Dunlop chart claims it does, or do you have an 18 inch rear?  Makes a big difference when searching for new tires, since Harley seems to have the market cornered on the 180/55 B18 tires, but there are plenty of choices on the 16 inch rears from Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin, etc..  BTW, be careful about trying to substitute other sizes.  Besides the actual clearance issues, always make certain the load rating is at least as high as the stock tires.  The 200/55-18's I've seen for instance have a much lower load rating than the 180/55B18 stock tires (76 versus 81), since they were designed for things like sport bikes.  Similar situations exist in the 16 inch sizes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »

time for a new tire ....was wondering if anyone has managed to get a 200/50-18 on the back of their Ultra ?

Yes. Quite a few guys on the Bagger forum are running 200's.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »

Yes. Quite a few guys on the Bagger forum are running 200's.
thanks for that I will take a bunch of measurements like I say 1 inch or 1/2 inch each side isnt much but in the years I have spent in the tire industry different manufacturers have differing ideas on sizing and section width can vary I will be keeping in mind the load ratings
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »

Daryll,

Talking with Bryan about this.  You might want to check that the wheel is wide enough to accommodate the 200 tire.  If not, it will pinch the tire which results in a crown and will affect handling.   :nervous:.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »

I run a 200/50/17 with the FBI spacer because I could'nt find a 18 that would handle the load rating.. just a fyi
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »

I'm confused.  Does your FLTRUSE have a 16 inch rear wheel like the Dunlop chart claims it does, or do you have an 18 inch rear?  Makes a big difference when searching for new tires, since Harley seems to have the market cornered on the 180/55 B18 tires, but there are plenty of choices on the 16 inch rears from Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin, etc..  BTW, be careful about trying to substitute other sizes.  Besides the actual clearance issues, always make certain the load rating is at least as high as the stock tires.  The 200/55-18's I've seen for instance have a much lower load rating than the 180/55B18 stock tires (76 versus 81), since they were designed for things like sport bikes.  Similar situations exist in the 16 inch sizes.

Jerry

Jerry...it's an 18" rear.  The Dunlop site does not do a very good job of matching things up sometimes. 

If you click on the "more info" button, it will take you to a chart of all the D407 Rear Tires...there you will find the 180/55B18 Rear for the FLTRUSE.  It is rated at 80H, which is 992lbs, and should be mounted on a 5.00-5.50 inch rim, with the 5.00 rim being the recommended size.  The 200/50R18 is a 76V load rating, which is 882lbs and the rim sizes are 6.00-6.50, with 6.25 being the recommended size.  That is a full 1.25" wider than the rim size that comes stock on the bike...pretty significant difference, IMO, not the mention the 110lb difference in load rating (a small BSR), AND the fact that the 200 is NOT a Multitread Tire, and starts out with 1/32nd less tread depth (9/32 as opposed to 10/32 on the 180).  The Diameter of the two tire is not significantly different...not enough to matter...but the rim requirement looms huge, as does the load rating.  I am assuming that since it is not a Multitread tire, it would wear faster in the center.

A 180 looks plenty wide to me...personally, I would not attempt the swap due to the load rating and rim width recommendation.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

I've been looking around on the web for a 200/55-18 or 200/50-18 that might come close to the load requirements, and the closest I've come is the Avon Cobra AV72 200/55VR18, with a 79 load rating.  Width = 7.8", Diameter = 26.7"  The recommended rim width is 6.25", with a minimum of 6.00" and a max of 6.50".  That is more than an inch wider than the stock rims (5.00"), so you will need a new rim.  As for those other folks who claim to be running a 200, I think I'd like a little more info, such as what rims they're using and what load range tire.  Just because people do stupid stuff to look "cool" doesn't mean a smart person should leap off that cliff with them.

Jerry

edit:  Chit, we must have both been typing at the same time Terry.  I finally figured out the stock tire on his FLTRUSE was the 180/55B18 like what's on the SESG's.  You're right, the Dunflop boys sure missed that one.

Assuming the wider tire would actually fit with sufficient clearance, which I have no way of verifying, I could live with a load rating of 79 versus the stock 80.  But there is no way I'd even think about putting a 200 on the 5.00" stock rim.  There is also no way that any qualified tire engineer would recommend that either.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:44:21 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »

Thanks guys that helps ...not so worried about the load rating as all manufacturers set them a little hi and capabilities are stated at maximum weight and max pressure and max speed ... I dont ride with things right on the edge so diff between 79 and 80 load not so much of a problem ..however rim width could be an issue as soon as the rim sits wider that can push the section width wider than the spec shown on the spec sheets it just sucks that my dealer that got the sale of my bike wants more than MSRP for the tire as he does with everything in the shop except the bikes...when there are so many others out  there happy with the margin already built into the price shown on the HD website and some even prepared to discount guess I go to the internet for an OE tire and save a H-Dollars

nu_glider

• 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »

I just wish Harley would release the strangle hold on Dunlop so we could purchase our OEM tires from other sources.  That might bring the dealerships back in line.
Rio Red & Black Ember: Fuel Moto Jackpot ceramic coated stainless head pipe, Fullsac Performance 1.75 baffles, SERT, Nostalgic saddlebag rails Windvest tinted 13" windshield, DayMaker LED lamps, Custom Dynamic LED turn signals, white front & red rear with smoked lenses.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:17:26 AM »

Just to be curious. How many miles did you get out of your stock tire? I'm at almost 12k on mine and seems to be plenty of tread left.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »

Right on 20k and still going to run it a bit longer as long as the weather stays sunny ..Its right at the wear bars so I am keeping a close eye on it and riding my Deuce for the kwik round town sprints

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.