Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary cover  (Read 2419 times)

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
Primary cover
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »

Happy New Year Everone!!!!!!!       My Primary Cover is leaking oil around the rear of the gasket after the harley shop checked on compensator,   Is these going to be a easy fix or is it another thing that happens when you take the cover off you get a oil leak from here on out or will the shop be able to fix this with a new gasket ?????
bobby

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Primary cover
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »

Happy New Year Everone!!!!!!!       My Primary Cover is leaking oil around the rear of the gasket after the harley shop checked on compensator,   Is these going to be a easy fix or is it another thing that happens when you take the cover off you get a oil leak from here on out or will the shop be able to fix this with a new gasket ?????

There is no reason for any sort of oil leak if the work was done correctly.  Take it back and have them fix it.  Modern day Harley's do not leak if they are put together correctly and the parts aren't damaged.  I've had my primary cover off several times, and I've even reused the gasket on one occassion, and I have nary a sign of seepage much less a real leak.  If the bike wasn't leaking before they worked on it, then the leak is obviously the result of the shop's work. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

Should be an easy fix blooper.  Just make sure it's the gasket and not a seal.  If the seal is leaking, when the bike is on the sidestand it can look like the gasket because of how the fluid will wick down the back of the primary.  If the inner primary was removed, there is a chance that seal could have been damaged.

bloper123

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »

Is this seal inside the primary, why wouldn"t the outside gasket keep this from leaking from this seal ???   The Harley shop just call me and said the seal was causing the leak and they replaced it and far all the trouble and  down time they were giving me a free 10,000 service and that was very nice of them to do this and not charge me..                    Can I get A picture from eny one on this seal to know what they are talking about. THANKS
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:38:32 AM by bloper123 »
bobby

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »

Happy New Year Everone!!!!!!!       My Primary Cover is leaking oil around the rear of the gasket after the harley shop checked on compensator,   Is these going to be a easy fix or is it another thing that happens when you take the cover off you get a oil leak from here on out or will the shop be able to fix this with a new gasket ?????

Hello,
 You don't have a shovel, pan,knuckle or flat head motor.
So ( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO), as  Jerry said, it should never leak if work is done right!
Just sayin.
BigDave

Take it back and make em do it right for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a novel idea, huh!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:15:26 AM by bigdave110 »

bloper123

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »

Well  the harley shop found the seal inside the primary cover bad, replace it and everthing is run good at this point, just waiting on the next thing to go wrong. :2vrolijk_20:
bobby

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.